United States
Wesley Chapel
Florida
flag msg tools
No matter where you go, there you are.
badge
Kilroy was here
mbmbmbmbmb
If you read my profile you'll see I have a fairly eclectic love of board games. The only genre of games I have slowly distanced myself from is co-op. I just find that co-op games almost always suffer from the alpha-syndrome. In which case it's a solo game where someone tells everyone else what to do. That's my personal experience. However, I'm open to just about everything else. My love of games the past year has been games with a high complexity versus a relatively small game. Games like Agricola: All Creatures Big and Small w/ both expansions, or 13 Days: Cuban Missle Crisis, 7 Ronin, Tiny Epic anything...love that smallish, yet deeper style game. I also have a soft spot for quick, but deeper-than-Uno games like Love Letter, Red7, Aroboretum, etc. The laast genre I truly love is the deeper games. But they need to be great or I just can't be bothered with the set up. Fury of Dracula, Twilight Struggle, Caverna come to mind.

So when my friend brought over the big box of Vinhos Deluxe I was skeptical to say the least. I truly despise spending hours learning a game that I probably won't play again. So I was very surprised and overjoyed that Vinhos hit all the marks for me.

It reminded me a bit of Caverna with regards to all the setup bits and decisions. Yet it is streamlined and, as a 2-player game relatively quick. The theme was different. It's not space, it's not fantasy - that already makes it interesting.

I won't go into detail about the rules or gameplay as I'm sure just about anyone reading this post knows all of this already - likely far better than me. I will go on to say this game is already in my possession. Stretch goals and all. I am thrilled to have been introduced to such a richly diverse, elegantly played, and simply beautiful to look at game. I have only played the the 2016 version and after having read the rules I will likely stay with this version. I know the game's popularity and pre-2016 legacy is based around the original rules, but they seem just a bit too nit-picky for me.

I look forward to adding the expansions. After reading their rules I agree with previous posts suggesting that the expansions are not necessary and only serve to augment at the game at best, not drastically change it as expansions sometimes can do.

On a final note the game is just beautiful to behold. The box is intimidatingly large and sturdy. The insert, as other have mentioned, seems a bit oddly designed. The insert itself is great and has a cover to keep all the bits in there, but it does seem as it could have been more specifically designed. Nevertheless, I think it's functional and above par for what comes with a typical game. I won't be tossing it in lieu of planos so that says a lot.

That's it. I haven't played it enough to do a formal review, but I just might do one later after I have played it a dozen or so times. As anyone knows, the true test of any game is how you feel about it after you've played it to the point you know the game. That being said, I'm sure the game will only get better as my number of games player increases.

Great game! Likely another 10 rating for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence
United States
Tustin
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to the world of Vital Larceda. To get you further down the rabbit hole, you might also want to check out The Gallerist, which has the same level of production (and same artist). It maintains the same level of smooth/streamlined, yet deep gameplay as Vinhos.

Kanban: Automotive Revolution actually plays much faster for us (below 45 minutes at 2 players), but the scoring is a bit difficult the first game and the production level isn't up to par with Gallerist and Vinhos deluxe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David G. Cox Esq.
Australia
Port Macquarie
NSW
flag msg tools
Do what you can, with what you've got, where you are.
mbmbmbmbmb
I received my KS edition of the game yesterday. As an owner of the first edition, I find the visual appearance of the game to be disappointing.

The first game had strong, rich and bold colours that captured the nature of the topic.

I don't think that pastels suit the theme of wine producing.

I hope the game play is outstanding. Looking at the game it doesn't really appeal. Looking at the first edition, it almost makes me salivate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kolby Reddish
United States
Nampa
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
da pyrate wrote:
I received my KS edition of the game yesterday. As an owner of the first edition, I find the visual appearance of the game to be disappointing.

The first game had strong, rich and bold colours that captured the nature of the topic.

I don't think that pastels suit the theme of wine producing.

I hope the game play is outstanding. Looking at the game it doesn't really appeal. Looking at the first edition, it almost makes me salivate.

Sorry it didn't work out for you, but I think the new edition is one of the best looking games I've ever seen. It is unique, not run of the mill. The amount of detail and thought that Vital puts into his game designs deserves nothing less than the level of attention and art that the new Vinhos and The Gallerist received (IMO).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James J

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only seen pics of the original board, but the change is quite jarring. I can understand why someone with both would be shocked. But as a newcomer, particularly one who is using the wine theme to bring his non-gamer wife to the table for her first medium-to-heavy Euro, I find the clean graphics aid in the flow of the board. She and I both found it very easy to grasp, and the art and design definitely played a role in that.

Don't get me wrong. I probably give the art in games more weight than I should (I love looking at a pretty game!), so I may not be quite as objective if I had both. I think it was Rahdo who compared the back of the new vintage tiles to iOS icons, which is spot-on. And that might not appeal to some. Luckily, the gameplay is so engrossing, the art quickly becomes a means to an end.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.