Hide
15 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Games that are fun by changing the rules to "Golf Scoring". rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Justin Robinson
msg tools
I recently came across a variant for Sushi Go in which players are purposely trying to get the lowest score possible (as in golf). This changes some of the tactics in the game and sounds like it could be fun but trying to force sets on players so they rack up points.

This got me wondering if any other games would benefit from changing the rules in this way, though it may be necessary to make other rule changes to make it interesting. First thought that came to my mind was Carcassonne. You are trying to make the lowest score for yourself, but you opponent is who chooses when/where to lay your meeples after you place a tile. This would result in you trying to make small roads/cities or trying to make cities that cannot be completed. I don't know if there is a way to make this work for more than 2 players though.

Any ideas on other games that could work with an opposite scoring scheme and still be interesting?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Williams

Seattle
Washington
msg tools
mbmb
Blokus - Try to inefficiently populate the board with tiles.
Galaxy Trucker - Both players take a random tile and place in unison. Tiles may only be stored if there is no legal placement. Stored tiles must be taken, if a legal placement exists, instead of pulling a random tile.
Glass Road - 2 points per unit of each resource at the end of the game. Otherwise, normal scoring.
Tammany Hall - 1 point per influence token at the end of the game. 2 points per slander token. Otherwise, normal scoring.
Timbuktu - Convince the bandits to steal all your goods!
Tsuro of the Seas - First player to hit another player wins. If a monster takes you out, the opponent to your left decide which starting position on the board to start from again. If you hit a wall, you may choose another path on that tile to move to, and the direction of travel. (This may actually result in a better game than Tsuro of the Seas!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harv Veerman
Netherlands
Zoetermeer
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think there are lots of games playable with this "misère game" variant, including chess and checkers, that remain attractive.

If math doesn't scare you, check out the internet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor
Canada
Vancouver
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why do I get the feeling Cosmic Encounter would be hilarious with this variant?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Larouche
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
Melting souls with cuteness since 2007
badge
Lovin' N-16
mbmbmbmbmb
Parade already has "lowest scoring" wins...
So adding that new rule to it would make minus + minus = positive.
The one with the most points win.

nah... wouldn't be as good a game as the Parade would never get long.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian McCarty
United States
La Crescent
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know there is "7 Blunders" where you try to get a low score in 7 Wonders. I think the rules prohibit just discarding cards for money

Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ackmondual
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Denyou wrote:
I recently came across a variant for Sushi Go in which players are purposely trying to get the lowest score possible (as in golf). This changes some of the tactics in the game and sounds like it could be fun but trying to force sets on players so they rack up points.

This got me wondering if any other games would benefit from changing the rules in this way, though it may be necessary to make other rule changes to make it interesting. First thought that came to my mind was Carcassonne. You are trying to make the lowest score for yourself, but you opponent is who chooses when/where to lay your meeples after you place a tile. This would result in you trying to make small roads/cities or trying to make cities that cannot be completed. I don't know if there is a way to make this work for more than 2 players though.

Any ideas on other games that could work with an opposite scoring scheme and still be interesting?

"7 Blunders" is 7 Wonders, but winner being the one with the lowest score. I played this variation as a tourney game at a con one time, and I'd imagine rules established on BGG are used towards that...
--you can only discard for coins/$ if you have no other legal move. The player who gets your cards the next turn will verify this was true
--you must use your own resources whenever you can if you have a choice between that and commercing.

IIRC, there was 1 to 3 more, but can't recall them at this point.

As someone who's never really enjoyed Poker, I did enjoy the variant where high hand wins 2/3 of the pot, while low hand wins the remaining 1/3. IIRC, lowest possible hand is 1-2-3-4-6, since duplicates would be pairs, and 1 through 5 would be a straight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Heidenreich
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
MilwaukeeTEG
badge
mbmb
"Leasters" in Sheepshead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zachary Homrighaus
United States
Clarendon Hills
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I proposed this variant to Jamey at Stonemaier games during playtesting for Between Two Cities. It's not unlike 7 Blunders as you are trying to avoid any synergy between your tiles. Honestly, I think it would be just as engaging and strategic, but I've never played it myself... which reminds me, I have a game night coming up on Saturday...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quantum Jack
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've inverted the rules for the triangular peg solitare game. Instead of trying to get 1 piece left, you try to leave as many on with no legal moves.

Smallworld would be interesting. You must use all soldiers, must take all but 1 in each territory if you start a new turn (of course, going in decline is just a delay unless we make it illegal until you have no legal moves without abandoning territory.)

Grimoire could be neat: race for the coppers, or rogues + VP tokens.

Codenames inverted: try to keep your color agents hidden longest? (still avoiding the assassin)

Love letter: elimination as normal, but lowest rank wins at end.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Concidentally I was recently considering trying a misère variant (low score wins) of Kingdom Builder.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Ips
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
You just blew my mind, sir. I never thought about trying this! Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Young
United States
Ogden
UT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Denyou wrote:

Last Will?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
BTW in an old workplace, coworkers and I sometimes used to play the old computer game Worms2 this way for a funny change of pace: the last player alive lost.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
Show me something that beats a natural 20 and I'll show you hateful lies.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like something to try on a feld.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.