13 Posts

Star Wars: Imperial Assault» Forums » General

Subject: Few questions before I buy this game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Peter B
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Hi I am thinking of buying this game but have a few questions. I am trying to get my head around the whole 'campaign' thing, and am new to gaming in general.

My main questions are:
1) Do you need to play with the same players each time, for continuity? Does it matter if you play with 4 rebels in mission 1 but only 3 rebels in mission 2?

2) If someone is killed off what happens to his character in the context of the campaign? Likewise what happens if all heroes are killed off in a mission?

3) If you're the Imperial player and you play all the scenarios does that affect your enjoyment of the same missions when you play them as a Rebel?

Appreciate any thoughts/views..

Thanks,
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy N
msg tools
My experiences:

1) We have subbed in a player on more than one occasion when a particular rebel player has been unable to play the campaign. If your Imperial player can't play at that time, probably best to reschedule. You could also have 3 Rebel players control the 4th hero as a group if you are comfortable with that.

2) The short answer: the heroes never die. If a character is defeated once (take damage equal to health), first he/she is wounded which means you flip the card and they lose an ability, some endurance/speed, and become worse at attribute tests. If they are wounded and then are again defeated, the hero withdraws which means they are no longer in play during that mission but then would return as healthy in the next mission.

3) I've played some missions as both Imperial and Rebel. I would say it somewhat affects my enjoyment because I usually remember aspects of the "surprise" which can influence the way I play. I do, however, try my best not to share that information with the other Rebel players so as not to ruin their experience. The missions are still fun to play again though so I don't consider it a major detractor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nico
Germany
Germany
flag msg tools
But I don’t want to go among mad people
badge
Oh, you can’t help that, we’re all mad here.
mbmbmbmbmb
1. There are some special cards to make the heroes stronger when playing with less then four heroes. To be honest, we used this cards in the first mission, then dumped them. Since the second mission we're playing with 4 players. If we are less then 5 players, the rebel group will together control the characters of the missing players.

2. You're not killed, only wounded, then defeated. After the mission everything is back to normal.

3. I think it can affect the enjoyment since the Imperial player now knows what events can happen during the mission.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Len Luczkowski
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm actually surprised Pasi or Chris have not jumped in on this question already. They would do a better job of answering. We're on our first campaign right now, and I will answer based on my experience.

1) Its a lot easier to learn the game with all of the same players each session. Bringing a new player up to speed a few missions in would be difficult for the Rebel players. You could do 4 Rebel players one week and 3 Rebel players the next week, but I would strongly recommend you keep the same amount of rebel characters each week. There are balancing issues when you drop from 4 to 3 rebel characters, and that will probably make your campaign a bit janky. Easier to have the remaining players take control of the 4th rebel character.

2) Rebel characters don't get "killed off". They are basically too hurt to continue helping during a mission. There is one mission I played where when they were wounded twice (card flipped, and wounded again) and remained on the table. They still get to move as their only action when it was their turn. But generally, they leave the board because they can no longer fight this mission. A bit of bacta and they're right as rain for the next mission.
As far as I know, if all heroes are removed from play, the Imperial player wins. The only continuity is that the Imperial player gets to gloat about running the tables against 4 people working against him. And I can tell you...that is fun.

3) Even though we are finishing up our first campaign, I am REALLY hoping we play again. I am currently the Imperial Player. I would love to try out a Rebel character (especially interested in the two characters my group did not pick). There seems to be enough variation with side missions and the campaign that I can easily see myself enjoying it from the other side of the Galactic Civil War. And we didn't even touch any expansion yet

Hope that helps! Also, buy it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Terrell
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mb
On point 3: Any given campaign will use about half of the missions that are included in the base game. A second campaign can easily be quite different and still mostly new to those who played the first campaign. Add in just the first wave of figure packs and/or the Twin Shadows expansion, and the core campaign can be further differentiated from the first play through.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cris Bohde
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1) I have a pretty solid group to play this game, and usually have a few alternates that are happy to fill in for a hero if a regular can't make it (thanks, Meetup.com!), but in the rare chance we can't get a sub (last minute notification), one of the other Rebel players controls 2 heroes for the night.

2) (already answered several times, no need for further comment)

3) I've ran 4 campaigns as Imperial now, and still enjoy the few occasions that I've been able to play as a Rebel. There are plenty of side missions that it's hard to play them all (especially after buying expansions, each character pack includes 1 side mission, and the small-box expansions include 6-8 missions that can be used as side missions in a full campaign) Since I own one of each available expansion so far, there's just too many missions available to remember what happens in them all!

And my extra info for planning a campaign:
A full campaign is typically 11 missions (only increased if the Imperials add forced missions), and each mission is 2 hours. My group meets every other week on Thursday evenings after work, so we usually have time for 2 missions per night. This works out to 6 total evening sessions per campaign.

I've found that if you inform your group ahead of time, and schedule out at least a few sessions from the start, you'll probably have a better chance keeping the same group through a campaign. I've also found that weekly or biweekly meetings are frequent enough that people still remember their heroes/abilities/goals/strategy from session to session, but won't get burned out (and won't have issues with scheduling and family/spouse/significant others) Or maybe I'm just lucky that I have a lot of people in my area that like SWIA (and board games in general)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next total solar eclipse holiday in 2017 in the USA.
mbmbmbmbmb
Len L wrote:
I'm actually surprised Pasi or Chris have not jumped in on this question already.

Sometimes I get to play the game in real life!

And the answers are good enough...

1) You don't need to have the exact same players everytime, but the rebels benefit from knowing all of their abilities well (not just their own character's), so the often the same players play, the better.

There are two approaches to varying the number of rebel players from one mission to the next. The best and supported by the rules is that the rebel players each control their hero, and they collectively control the heroes of the players who are missing.

You can also adjust the number of players on the fly with the rewards cards, but that would also require to adjust the amount of credits etc, so it will be messy.

3) You won't be playing the same missions. In the core campaign you will play 11-14 missions (usually 11 or 12). The intro mission (Aftermath) is shared, 5 of them are essentially random, and 5 are story missions from two alternatives. Also, there are different heroes, they have different class cards and items, the imperial player will have a different class deck and strategies, and events have choices. So you can well play the same mission more than once.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter B
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Thanks very much for all your comments. I have ordered this game and looking forward to getting it.

My only other question is about when you have to purchase expansions (ie the miniatures, han solo etc). Presumably you have to look ahead at which characters will appear in which missions, so you can get hold of them in advance? Otherwise i assume you have to use a counter to represent them?

Thanks Again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next total solar eclipse holiday in 2017 in the USA.
mbmbmbmbmb
BL123 wrote:
Presumably you have to look ahead at which characters will appear in which missions, so you can get hold of them in advance?

The game comes with cardboard tokens for everything you need. Reading ahead before playing doesn't help you with it.

Each campaign contains 11-14 missions (usually 11 or 12), with semi-random side missions and story missions of two alternatives. Coarsely said the side missions and story missions alternate, so you have two sessions to get any missing figures if you so choose, (except for the first side mission).

1. After Aftermath you know which story mission is active, and which 2 alternatives the rebels have for side missions to play next.

2. After the first side mission you know the two alternative side missions for the mission after the next story mission.

3. After the story mission you know which story mission will become active.

4. And so on.

I would pick up Rebel Troopers and Han Solo, and use other figures to represent the rest. (What I actually did was to get everything.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nico
Germany
Germany
flag msg tools
But I don’t want to go among mad people
badge
Oh, you can’t help that, we’re all mad here.
mbmbmbmbmb
I think most of the figure packs are not worth it since you have to win the side mission to get the characters into play. I think only a few mission figure packs are really usefull, the figures the Imperial player can add without playing a side mission, like Star Wars: Imperial Assault – Hired Guns Villain Pack or Star Wars: Imperial Assault – ISB Infiltrators Villain Pack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Terrell
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mb
Those side missions that reward a figure usually feature that figure in the mission. Still, I wouldn't call the figure pack anything close to essential. (Although, I do own all the figure packs so far. ) Somewhere on this forum, there was a discussion of prioritizing figure pack purchases based on their appearances in the campaign.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Q
Canada
BC
flag msg tools
mb
What I discovered rather quickly about this game was that I wanted to play it more and more.

If you play the campaign with a group, sometimes it's hard to get that group together. When you want to play, and the whole group can't, what to do!?

Start another campaign? Sure, but have fun organizing 2 campaigns at once in the box. Come set up time, it's a challenge after you've bounced back and forth with the same/similar heroes at different levels with different items and skills. Apps exist that help out greatly, but you still have to dig everything out!

This is where skirmish saves the day, and all those figure packs you thought you wouldn't buy because they barely show up in the campaign and you don't really mind occasionally using the tokens come in handy. I can't stand playing the Imperials in skirmish with all my figures on the board against a Rebel player with 50%-75% tokens!

I've painted most figures, so my cringing occurs when a non-painted figure gets used! BTW, I highly suggest painting, it completely changes the game experience, especially when introducing new players to the game.

That being said, I don't have all the villain/ally expansions, just the ones that I use/want/will use.

Anyway, skirmish can take a while to set up, but the internet has many suggestions for skirmish lists and command decks to suit. I have a couple lists pre-made and organized in the box so it's just a matter of selecting a mission and setting up the board with a tweak here and there.

With all this said, play the game (campaign and skirmish), and see how you like it. Maybe you won't? Your experience will guide you (along with the internet) with your next purchases...if any!

The Imperial Assault community is alive and well too. I've posted a question on BGG while playing a mission in a campaign and had it answered immediately, allowing the game to keep on moving.

Have fun, and hope you enjoy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Carlson
United States
Cloquet
Minnesota
flag msg tools
I agree, there is nothing wrong with the core set. I love Star Wars and painting miniatures but for the several packs I wanted to add to my collection, I could easily buy 2-3 new games. I will say, the most useful for me as the Imperial player in our campaign have been IG-88 and ISB Infiltrators; the Rebels have only used Chewbacca. For a campaign our group will probably only play once a year, it's hard to say which figure packs will actually see action.

If you can find a good deal on a lot with extras included on Geek Market or Ebay, that would be nice for starting off -- I've seen the core set with a wave or two of figure packs for $80-$120, but $60 gets you all you really need

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.