Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Olson
United States
Ames
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I apologize if this question has been asked already, but I'm curious if anyone else didn't finish Pandemic Legacy for whatever reason. I played through once with one gamer group and tried playing again with another game group, but due to scheduling conflicts and lack of interest as things got bad due to [SPOILERS].

SO... Survey time:
Poll
Did you finish all 12 months in your Pandemic Game?
Yes
Haven't yet, but plan to
Haven't yet, and don't plan to or have given up hope on finishing
      108 answers
Poll created by Dymond Kyng

Eager to hear stories of why you may not have finished.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Goertz
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
NA NA NA NA . . .
mbmbmbmbmb
I appreciate seeing this question and can't wait to see how people vote. My game group has been playing monthly to stay matched with the in-game and actual months. This has worked out well since it gives us time in between plays to take everything in. I feel that if we tried to play more frequently, we may have gotten worn out from playing the game so much.

I can definitely understand some players not finishing or not wanting to finish if things just got too bad on the board. There were a couple of times for my group where the team had an especially hard loss and people needed time to "recover". I think the Legacy aspect of "I don't want to make things worse" kinda gets to you psychologically haha

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jessica Gustafsson
Sweden
Stenungsund
Västra Götaland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't yet played the game myself but realized that I have been waiting for someone to ask this question. Thank you! I'm eager to see the results of the poll after more people have answered it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clive Jones

Cambridgeshire, UK
msg tools
mb
The poll response will be interesting, though most people who abandon the game will also abandon the forums, I guess. There have only been a small handful of threads in which people have claimed they hated the game so much they abandoned it mid-season.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Bussema
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Poll: Pandemic Legacy: Season 1: Time to Finish
1. If you have already finished, how long did you take (real-world time)?
Up to 1 day
More than 1 day, up to 1 week
More than 1 week, up to 1 month
More than 1 month, up to 3 months
More than 3 months, up to 6 months
More than 6 months, up to 12 months
More than 12 months, up to 24 months
More than 24 months
2. If you have already finished, did you play "real-time" (e.g., September's game(s) in September)?
Yes
No
      45 answers
Poll created by InfoCynic

In case anyone's curious about how fast people are playing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clive Jones

Cambridgeshire, UK
msg tools
mb
Um. For another 29 days, anybody who answers "Yes" to your second question is lying!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Hindmarch
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
We've played through October with my daughter in every game. She is out of state for her freshman year of college. If we played November and December without her, she would refuse my tuition contributions.

Wife and I are playing tonight!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Bussema
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
clivej wrote:
Um. For another 29 days, anybody who answers "Yes" to your second question is lying!

Or has invented time travel. Or got a very early copy. I also left the poll open forever, so there's that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Blum
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
We haven't finished yet. We're through August. We started in March, but haven't been able to play since the beginning of September. The issues have been both time and, ultimately, the unfriendliness of a strategy game for four players in a group of six-plus regular game night attenders, most of whom aren't into (Read: Don't WANT to be into) one of them "thinking" games.

Hoping to get into September in the next week or two.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hawks
United States
Apple Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First game took 3 months, 1 week. (Jan 8 to Apr 16)

Second game started May 20, next time we play we'll be starting October.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Carter
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
I have played through it twice with two different groups that have overlapping membership. We typically played two games in a session, sometimes three. The first campaign was finished with a Pandemic Legacy day which was designed to finish the campaign and ended up being 10 games, 2 meals (including the best chicken noodle soup I have ever had), and 13 hours.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirsten Blom
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
We we're planning on doing it month by month real time. But we got so excited from the first month that we played for 7 straight hours We stopped after April. We also immidiatlely planned the next session (Dec. 3rd)

I think the key is that you shouldn't stop untill you win one game. Probably that happens after losing the first two Most people played vanilla Pandemic with 3/4 epidemic cards. And getting 5 is a big scale up for most. But luckily the game is set up to counter that fact.

Tips: Plan multiple play sessions. Don't stop untill you have at least 1 win the first time you play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stewart
United Kingdom
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kuess wrote:
We we're planning on doing it month by month real time. But we got so excited from the first month that we played for 7 straight hours We stopped after April. We also immidiatlely planned the next session (Dec. 3rd)

I think the key is that you shouldn't stop untill you win one game. Probably that happens after losing the first two Most people played vanilla Pandemic with 3/4 epidemic cards. And getting 5 is a big scale up for most. But luckily the game is set up to counter that fact.

Tips: Plan multiple play sessions. Don't stop untill you have at least 1 win the first time you play.

There was a poll a while back about the first month you lost - a lot of people lost in January, but a sizable number had their first loss in April/May.

Quite a lot of people win 8-9 months on their first attempt at them - corresponding to taking 15-16 games to complete the campaign.

Of course, the sort of people who post their results on BGG are probably better Pandemic players on average than the typical gamer, so there's probably some sample bias there.

Still, my group was quite content playing 1-2 games per session, playing twice a month. The actual breakdown was 1 in-game month per session until the final session where we followed an easy November win with December immediately. When we lost April twice in the one session, we all agreed that two grueling games was our limit, and we could happily leave learning May's new mechanics for next time.

Other people have enjoyed binge sessions of the game, so I'm not claiming ours is the one true way, but we found it a good balance between progressing through the campaign and keeping concentration during the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clive Jones

Cambridgeshire, UK
msg tools
mb
Kuess wrote:
Most people played vanilla Pandemic with 3/4 epidemic cards.

Really? I thought five was typical, four easy, six tricky. Personally, I've never played with fewer than five and never heard of anybody playing with only three.

Actually, thinking about it, if you play with only three Epidemics, you risk the infection deck running out. What then?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.