Support:

eryn roston
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey all,

One thing I noticed after about 3 plays is that, at first glance, most of the monsters seem to be sort of the same. Sure some can fly, but in general it feels like I have a bunch of different miniatures that all basically represent one type of threat.

Than I wondered if maybe it's just that the app is hiding all those specific traits and behaviors and what might look like just random attacks and movement is actually baked-in but not really transparent.

For example it seems like the Deep Ones:

Spoiler (click to reveal)
Might be the only creatures that have that extra movement boost if they don't find an investigator in the mythos phase?

Have you noticed things that seem particular to each monster? Maybe some have better or more frequent multi-target attacks? Some are more likely to cause you to take a status card? etc?

-E

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Fleming
United States
West Covina
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Several of the monsters have different abilities, they are printed on the back of the monster token. The app does not show this, it expects that the players handle it.

For example, the deep one is aquatic-it can move through impassable water borders. And I have noticed different behavior. The witch, cultist and goat spawn seem to use more magical attacks at range, while the maniac just rushes at you and attacks with a weapon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberto de Gooijer
Netherlands
flag msg tools
I really like the way the Ghost did its thing.
He disapeared and reapeared in an other room
I think the hound of tindalos can do the same.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Filpus
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The biggest difference I've seen is that some monsters are more or less likely to use ranged and AoE attacks. For instance, the Mi-Go's gadgets are ranged attacks that the other "medium" monsters don't do nearly as much.

To mention specific scenarios (but still being pretty vague):

Dearly Departed and Escape from Innsmouth both feature monster(s) with unique movement rules such that thwarting or avoiding them is more practical then fighting them outright.

Shattered Bonds has a very unusual monster, but it doesn't use the monster rules for most of the scenario.

The final boss in Sentinel Hill has some effects where the Evidence you've collected makes you better at fighting it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.