6 Posts

Arkham Horror» Forums » Rules

Subject: All player have simultaneous turns? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Thomas Van de Weyer
Belgium
flag msg tools
So i played about 5 games and in every game we let the first player move, attack and have an encounter before letting the next player move.

I only just found out that every player moves first and then encounters should happen. But with already a lot to think about i can see myself and my fellow players forgetting to have an encounter.

So can we continue playing as we previously did or would the game be unbalanced because of it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, if everyone completes their turn one at a time, player A could move in and defeat a monster thus clearing a path for player B to move past without interruption. So it will likely slightly increases your options and may make the game a bit easier, but no, it won't significantly change the game. It will still play just fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
Canada
Campbell River
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The order in the official rules is advantageous, I think, because you can share items on that turn before having an encounter.

I have found the turn flowchart by Mr. Skeletor to be very helpful in keeping track of each turn. A few turns with this at hand might help you avoid overlooking anything, and you may find that you need to refer to it less and less as your group gains more experience.

I've only played a few times, mostly solo with 4 investigators, and I have found myself reaching for the flowchart less and less.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kloefklaffer wrote:
So i played about 5 games and in every game we let the first player move, attack and have an encounter before letting the next player move.

I only just found out that every player moves first and then encounters should happen. But with already a lot to think about i can see myself and my fellow players forgetting to have an encounter.

So can we continue playing as we previously did or would the game be unbalanced because of it?

It throws off things because you may have someone getting carried away to the Other Worlds in Phase 2 and potentially coming back and getting things a bit tangled. There could be other potential timing conflicts that come up.

You should go in turn order for each Phase. if you are doing it correctly, Player 1 has an encounter, then Player 2, then Player 3 etc. It shouldn't be difficult at all to keep track of who has gone and not skip over everyone. It might mean someone taking on a game-master role (even if they are also playing) to walk through the phases and cal out each player to act. So much is dependent on "following the phases" that you should just play it as designed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Van de Weyer
Belgium
flag msg tools
Thank you for the help guys, i will use the official rules. I am always the ''game-master'' but that's only because i'm the only one who reads the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Franklin
United Kingdom
Braintree
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
StormKnight wrote:
Well, if everyone completes their turn one at a time, player A could move in and defeat a monster thus clearing a path for player B to move past without interruption.

You can do that following the rules correctly. You fight monsters during the movement phase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.