Hide
6 Posts

Cosmic Encounter» Forums » Rules

Subject: Attacking a Player's Foreign Colony (aka Will's Power) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew Shap
msg tools
We've been struggling with what happens when you attack a player's foreign colony outside of their home system, but also outside of your home system. For instance, if the Green player is Will and they decide to attack Yellow's colony in Blue's system (or if another player is using Will's flare card). Does Will then get to establish a colony in Blue's system if they were successful in the encounter? Do offensive allies also get to establish a colony?

The reason this strikes us as odd is because you're basically putting a colony in Blue's system, but not even attacking the player whose home system it is.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
This is not my user name.
United States
Fountain Valley
California
flag msg tools
Why is there no Word Games Forum or Subdomain?
badge
There should be a Word Games Subdomain, or at least a Word Games Forum!
mbmbmbmbmb
shapsation wrote:
The reason this strikes us as odd is because you're basically putting a colony in Blue's system, but not even attacking the player whose home system it is.

So? What's so odd about it? That's where you sent the ships, so that's where they land. There's no reason the ships, after winning an attack in the blue system, would somehow wind up in the yellow system.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wood
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, the attacking player and all offensive allies get to land on the Blue planet if they win against Yellow.

If it helps the concept, the offensive player wiped out the colony and then took up shop in the remaining buildings. Then they sent a note to the owners of the system: "This is ours now."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just a Bill
United States
Norfolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
Well, you were right and I should have listened but I didn't and now here we are. So stop saying 'I told you so' and pass the calamine lotion.
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Yes.
2. Yes.
3. Cosmic Encounter is indeed an "odd" game. Huzzah!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
This is not my user name.
United States
Fountain Valley
California
flag msg tools
Why is there no Word Games Forum or Subdomain?
badge
There should be a Word Games Subdomain, or at least a Word Games Forum!
mbmbmbmbmb
And there are plenty of examples from real history of nation A and nation B going to war in the territory of nation C.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Shap
msg tools
Thanks for the quick replies. Makes sense now...even thematically!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.