Mark Casiglio
United States
Ansonia
CT
flag msg tools
Falcon 2016: October 28, 29 and 30 in Stamford, CT
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So I've enjoyed the first two episodes. It's silly, sometimes funny and a little bit crazy. It scratches the same spot for me that Dr. Who does (although I doubt it will ever instill that kind of loyalty and enthusiasm in it's fandom).

My question is about the character of Dirk. I consider the initial book "Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency" to be one of my all-time favorites, although at this point it's been several years since I re-read it. My memory of the character doesn't seem to match the portrayals that have come since (the tv shows, the comic books).

I remember him being a bit brilliant, stodgy, more than a little arrogant and at least part con-man. He had the skills to be an amazing detective but was more interested in making easy money and having a comfortable lifestyle ... that is until something was interesting enough to catch his attention. Dirk always had a different way of looking at things and would notice the innocuous detail that seemed to have nothing to do with the case but ultimately would be incredibly important (e.g. the missing salt-shaker in the first book).

Now every other portrayal since then seems to be that he's just this random force of chaos who always happens to be in the right place at the right time.

Am I off?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Csigs wrote:
Am I off?

Quite probably, but that's wholly independent of the Dirk Gently thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Casiglio
United States
Ansonia
CT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LOL ... too true.

I'm sometimes wondering if I've read too much into the portrayal of the character in the novel, but I did find that one genuinely interesting (as opposed to merely "entertaining" which is what I think of the current incarnation).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
Csigs wrote:
So I've enjoyed the first two episodes. It's silly, sometimes funny and a little bit crazy. It scratches the same spot for me that Dr. Who does (although I doubt it will ever instill that kind of loyalty and enthusiasm in it's fandom).

My question is about the character of Dirk. I consider the initial book "Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency" to be one of my all-time favorites, although at this point it's been several years since I re-read it. My memory of the character doesn't seem to match the portrayals that have come since (the tv shows, the comic books).

I remember him being a bit brilliant, stodgy, more than a little arrogant and at least part con-man. He had the skills to be an amazing detective but was more interested in making easy money and having a comfortable lifestyle ... that is until something was interesting enough to catch his attention. Dirk always had a different way of looking at things and would notice the innocuous detail that seemed to have nothing to do with the case but ultimately would be incredibly important (e.g. the missing salt-shaker in the first book).

Now every other portrayal since then seems to be that he's just this random force of chaos who always happens to be in the right place at the right time.

Am I off?

Interesting you say that. Now look into the history of both...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Society of Watchers
United States
Killbuck
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Plan on watching it this Saturday. Missed the first episodes, but looking forward to it. I'm also looking forward to seeing Power of the Daleks that has been animated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
-=::) Dante (::=-
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I definitely hear you Mark. Apart from a few chuckles we were quite disappointed overall.

Adams characteristic wit has been replaced by screwball Airplane/Naked Gun style comedy for the US audience and it feels like it's specifically targeting a teen demographic. (young casting / soundtrack / frenetic editing)

I enjoyed the 2010 UK series with Stephen Mangan much more, and it hews considerably closer to the source material in both content and tone.

Stephen's Dirk captures much more of the disheveled con artist quality you're speaking of Mark.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Society of Watchers
United States
Killbuck
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JasonJ0 wrote:
Csigs wrote:

Am I off?

You can also related that to Terry Pratchett's character of Rincewind (and the Luggage). Terry actually spells out some things in more detail or at least a fuzzy way that is actually more understandable than an precise description might entail.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Casiglio
United States
Ansonia
CT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
NuMystic wrote:
I definitely hear you Mark. Apart from a few chuckles we were quite disappointed overall.

I probably wouldn't go so far as disappointed. If I hadn't read the source material I'd probably tell you this was a fun, goofy show. But honestly most of the fun comes from the world itself (the competitive relationship between the cops, the FBI and the military ... the crazy murder lady ... and those smiling bald guys with the tattoos are cracking me up). And oh hell, The Rowdy 3 ... "But there are four of them ..." "DON'T THINK I'M NOT PAINFULLY AWARE OF THAT!" lol

I think one thing about the book is that we only see Gently through the eyes of Richard MacDuff, which only enhances the enigma. When Gently becomes the PoV character in Tea Time I feel the character suffers for it. And with the TV show I feel like the show runners just pointed at Matt Smith's Doctor and said "do something like that!"

It's still pretty good. Just not the same. I'll have to try to find that British version.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
-=::) Dante (::=-
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Csigs wrote:
I feel like the show runners just pointed at Matt Smith's Doctor and said "do something like that!"

Exactly!

Csigs wrote:
I'll have to try to find that British version.

Do. Scratches a completely different itch, and it's set, you know, in Britain.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Casiglio
United States
Ansonia
CT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JasonJ0 wrote:
Csigs wrote:

Am I off?

Ah ... well that's interesting! I still think the character has changed significantly since the first book, even if it's gravitating more toward the source material.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.