34% of Goal | 27 Days Left

Support:

ackmondual
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
An average NFL game has more than 100 commercials and just 11 minutes of play

I'm not an American football fan, but still shocked to hear such a huge discrepancy for a 3 hour 11 minute broadcast. I also forgot that the clock still runs when no actual play is going on (unlike basketball or hockey), so at worse, I thought the "actual play time" would've been more in the lines of an 2 hours (four 15-minute quarters for an hour, plus commercials, halftime, time outs, etc.).

I couldn't help recall some games felt like that to me...
Power Grid... that "rush" at the last round was intense, but it really felt like playing a 2+ hour game for only 15 minutes of fun.

I wish many party games would either last only half as long as they normally do, or at least call it after 20 to 30 minutes

When games like Red Dragon Inn, Munchkin, Fluxx, Uno, Werewolf take more than hour, that's where I try to anticipate and decline joining such games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Towns
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Speaking as an American football fan I always have a problem with timing out "length of play" like that. It's similar to saying that a three hour board game has "11 minutes of play" because that's how long it takes to actually move the pawns/place bids/roll dice. Just like in many board games there are a large amount of tactical decisions made in between football plays that make up the cerebral part of the game. That being said, the game in its modern form has been stretched out by commercials and instant replay. High school games are shorter (about 2-2.5 hours) due to shorter quarters and no TV time-outs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John McD
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For me, pretty much every game for which I have no understanding of the rules, and have misplaced the rulebook for, is a fairly complete simulation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Green
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe Blood Bowl: Team Manager – The Card Game. Technically more sports centerish than watching a football game as you are getting highlights of multiple games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank McNally
United States
Andover
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not to mention pre_snap adjustments to player positions which would actually be a movement phase if simulated. This accounts for about 2x the time counted from snap to tackle. Still a lot of down/ contemplation time but it is surprisingly difficult to get subs in and play called in time allotted.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The answer is obviously Diplomacy, which has you talking about playing about 1000x more than actually executing moves.

Pete (has probably spent less than one total hour in his lifetime actually 'moving' in Diplomacy despite hundreds of hours of play)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
. . . give a ship.
mbmbmbmbmb
You're shocked because it's misleading and not true.

I watch a lot of games condensed and they're 35-45 mins.

No commercials they're two hours.

The first is like a group with no table talk.

The second is like a bunch of friends playing a game seriously but talking about it as it goes on.

I opt for the middle ground when time allows and watch the full broadcasts but skip forward thirty seconds if nothing useful is happening or the announcers suck (troy aikman, joe buck, chris collinsworth cough.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Most social deduction games. You play for 20 seconds and then spend 15 minutes arguing about my everyone did what they did and what that suggests about their worth as a human being.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Power
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
My clue's pointing this way...
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:

When games like Red Dragon Inn, Munchkin, Fluxx, Uno, Werewolf take more than hour, that's where I try to anticipate and decline joining such games.

You've had games of Werewolf last more than an hour? You have indecisive friends.

Usually this can be prevented with a good moderator who simply says "everyone go to sleep" if discussion drags too long.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garth Tams
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FrankM wrote:
Not to mention pre_snap adjustments to player positions which would actually be a movement phase if simulated. This accounts for about 2x the time counted from snap to tackle. Still a lot of down/ contemplation time but it is surprisingly difficult to get subs in and play called in time allotted.

The Canadian Football League has even more going on presnap. The slotbacks start 15 yards behind the line, and hit the line running on the snap. Pre-snap movements and reads determine everything in football. It would be the equivalent of playing an 18XX but never once pausing to take a look and actually make a decision. Or playing Speed Chess, for your first game of Chess ever.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ackmondual
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ByDeadlyHands wrote:
ackmondual wrote:

You've had games of Werewolf last more than an hour? You have indecisive friends.

Usually this can be prevented with a good moderator who simply says "everyone go to sleep" if discussion drags too long.

How long do 13p to 26p games of Werewolf take for your groups then? Some mods do set timers for 5 to 10 minutes per turn, and that has helped.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.