Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nickel Eye
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
I am still waiting on my pledge to arrive(scheduled to be here Friday). I know there are alot of minis I will be getting that won't have specific scenarios yet. I am curious though as to what scenarios are included with the stuff in this shipment.

The specific reason I am asking is because while I am impatiently waiting for my game I thought I would revisit some Robert E Howard stories. I have read them all before, but I am wanting to really get into the spirit of what I will probably be playing this weekend. I just didn't know which stories serve as the inspiration to the included scenarios.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nickel Eye wrote:
I am still waiting on my pledge to arrive(scheduled to be here Friday). I know there are alot of minis I will be getting that won't have specific scenarios yet. I am curious though as to what scenarios are included with the stuff in this shipment.

The specific reason I am asking is because while I am impatiently waiting for my game I thought I would revisit some Robert E Howard stories. I have read them all before, but I am wanting to really get into the spirit of what I will probably be playing this weekend. I just didn't know which stories serve as the inspiration to the included scenarios.

Here's the full list:

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/23940159#23940159

i doubt, however, that you'll be able to convince someone to type up their contents for you .

Unfortunately, i have yet to see a scenario which says "based on XYZ," where XYZ is a story name. (There might even be licensing issues which prohibit such a statement - i have no idea.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Liddle
msg tools
Have yourself a read of Beyond the Black River, as the first scenario is set in Pictland. As with all of the published scenarios it is loosely based on the stories with some of the characters.

Then you could read Queen of the Black Coast as the next scenarios are loosely based on that story.

Enjoy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Groesbeck
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mb
You can read the base scenarios here:
http://www.monolithedition.com/conan-en/scenarios/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
si Mon
msg tools
mbmbmb
Most scenarios are not directly from any story but could have happen in any of them. There is all the tropes and common situations you expect from an howard' story.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank BLACKFIRE
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nickel Eye wrote:
I am curious though as to what scenarios are included with the stuff in this shipment.

The scenarios are not literally inspired by the novels of Robert E. Howard, something almost impossible to do with a boardgame.

But all of them are inspired by the Hyborian Age as created by REH with the spirit of his original writings and vocabulary.

So you will find references to the geography of the Thurian Continent, references about characters and stories of REH in the respect of his creation.

"In the Clutches of the Picts" or "The Last Ritual" have the flavor of "Beyond the Black River",
"Trapped like Rats" could be a variation of "Rogues in the House" ,
"The Treasure of Tranicos" is a variation of "The Black Stranger",
"The Crawling Shadow" will remember you "Xuthal of the Dusk, etc.....

Moshimon wrote:
Most scenarios are not directly from any story but could have happen in any of them. There is all the tropes and common situations you expect from an howard' story.

Exactly !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank BLACKFIRE
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sgbeal wrote:
Unfortunately, i have yet to see a scenario which says "based on XYZ," where XYZ is a story name. (There might even be licensing issues which prohibit such a statement - i have no idea.)

No, no licensing issues as Monolith has paid for the rights to use Conan and REH works.
But as said before, it's almost impossible to adapt a novel in a single scenario of a boardgame. Some scenes, perhaps, but not an entire novel.

So the choice to not use the original titles is because there's no literally adaptation.

Just remember that Shevatas never met Conan in the stories. Bêlit never knew Hadrathus, etc...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nickel Eye
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks for the quick responses guys! Just your guy's suggestions along with the link to the scenarios list gives me just what I wanted. It gives me a direction to read a few of those short stories before the game arrives.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Felipe Bulhões
Brazil
flag msg tools
mb
Of all the scenarios available, there are only two for 5 players?

Really?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Nordwall
msg tools
I believe that is true, and both of those are optionally 5. they also do 4. Which makes me think it shouldn't be too hard to do a 5 player from a 4 player

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.