SeaFall» Forums » Rules

Subject: Tied event card resolution rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeremy Slottje
msg tools
mb
Hi,

If the trigger condition for an event card is tied (i.e. player with the most money) which player is subjected to the event?

Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Kaemmer
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Higher title
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
j n
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Ties are broken in favor of the lower-titled player. If you aren't sure what "in favor" means in any given situation, just ask the lower-titled player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Urso McDaniel
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This seems like a spoiler (I haven't played much yet.)

Please hide with a subject like "Event Card B question."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq Starforged
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lactamaeon wrote:
Ties are broken in favor of the lower-titled player. If you aren't sure what "in favor" means in any given situation, just ask the lower-titled player.

This.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Haag
United States
Hamburg
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
chadm wrote:

How is this a spoiler in the slightest? The question is so generic it could be about anything. The OP just wanted to know how the the game breaks ties, which are broken, as has been stated, in favor of the lower ranking player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq Starforged
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps he was referring to the specific example provided? I haven't seen that specific event ... but then, we have a bunch of events in our deck that haven't come up yet!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
j n
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I mean, I think without being told it's a spoiler (or seeing a specific card with that trigger), I wouldn't know if it was a real card or a hypothetical example. I certainly wouldn't know what the hypothetical card did, or feel like any surprises were ruined by knowing that trigger existed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Urso McDaniel
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
EdHaag wrote:

How is this a spoiler in the slightest? The question is so generic it could be about anything. The OP just wanted to know how the the game breaks ties, which are broken, as has been stated, in favor of the lower ranking player.

None of the starting event cards have a trigger condition of any kind.

It may be a minor spoiler, but IMO it is a spoiler.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
j n
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
chadm wrote:
None of the starting event cards have a trigger condition of any kind.

It may be a minor spoiler, but IMO it is a spoiler.

They may not (which would be a minor spoiler to me, since my group didn't look at them and I think there are still some I haven't seen), but the rulebook does say

"In the event of any tie for any reason, unless otherwise stated, the tie is broken in the favor of the player with the less-prominent title. This means that good events favor the less-prominent title and bad events happen to the more-prominent title."

which to me is a pretty strong implication that triggers are coming, and gold total was (again, to me) the most obvious potential trigger to see coming for that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Urso McDaniel
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I concede to your point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Ruzzo
United States
Manchester
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
EdHaag wrote:
chadm wrote:

Agreed, knowing that ties can happen relative to event cards doesn't lower my enjoyment of learning about them later

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Filpus
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If there are multiple tied targets for an event that both belong to the same player, I assume that player chooses? This can happen with Event E... (which is in the first box)

Spoiler (click to reveal)
...if both of the players' ships are in the same hex, and no other ships are closer/equidistant with a higher title.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq Starforged
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GregF wrote:
If there are multiple tied targets for an event that both belong to the same player, I assume that player chooses? This can happen with Event E... (which is in the first box)

...if both of the players' ships are in the same hex, and no other ships are closer/equidistant with a higher title.

Similarly, you might also have a case in which (Event E spoiler)
a player has two ships in different spaces, but equally close.

In either case, my assumption is that
the affected player determines which target takes the hit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.