Terraforming Mars» Forums » Rules

Subject: Cumulative effects? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Martin Sjöstrand
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If I have two blue cards with a similar effect. When you play a card you pay 1 M€ less for it AND When you play a card you pay 2 M€ less for it, do I pay 3 M€ less for a card I play?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Treacher
United Kingdom
Moorlinch
Somerset
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Retroactive?
The effects are cumulative, yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Sjöstrand
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I was very happy for 3 effects that reduced the cost of space cards by -2 each.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
X Shrike
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
senorcoo wrote:

That combo is so powerful. I had that and the corporation that meant that when I used Titanium, to pay for space cards, it is worth four credits.

I was the master of space!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Florian Ruckeisen
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
senorcoo wrote:

I had a game where one player had Earth Catapult and Anti-Grav Technology, for -4 to the cost of any card. cry Luckily you won't pull this off until late in the game.

On topic: All effects are cumulative. This goes for discounts ("you pay x M€ less" effects), rebates ("after you play [...], you get x M€" effects), as well as modifiers for O2/ocean/temperature requirements: Inventrix' corporation ability, Adaptation Technology and Special Design are all cumulative - if you have all three, you can play Small Animals (requires 6% oxygen) when O2 is still at 0%. cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
This is something that really hits it out of the park for me, when these bonuses also fall into being perfectly thematic as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Chaney

California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm wondering if discounts can bring cost below zero. We have played that they can not, but I can see thematic reasons why they could, and it does not seem game breaking. Ruling?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Örjan Almén
Sweden
Karlstad
flag msg tools
mbmb
Discounts can't get a cost below zero, but getting money back after being paid could.

How to read the cards

X : -3 => Discount, can't get lower than zero
X: 2 => Getting money for performing X, no matter the cost
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthieu Fontaines
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
XShrike wrote:
senorcoo wrote:

That combo is so powerful. I had that and the corporation that meant that when I used Titanium, to pay for space cards, it is worth four credits.

I was the master of space!

Yes, and with advanced aerobreaking (+3M€ and +3 heat for each space event) and advanced alloys, this becomes so beautifull :)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Lott
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Snapshot wrote:
senorcoo wrote:

I had a game where one player had Earth Catapult and Anti-Grav Technology, for -4 to the cost of any card. cry Luckily you won't pull this off until late in the game.

On topic: All effects are cumulative. This goes for discounts ("you pay x M€ less" effects), rebates ("after you play [...], you get x M€" effects), as well as modifiers for O2/ocean/temperature requirements: Inventrix' corporation ability, Adaptation Technology and Special Design are all cumulative - if you have all three, you can play Small Animals (requires 6% oxygen) when O2 is still at 0%. cool

did it once

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Örjan Almén
Sweden
Karlstad
flag msg tools
mbmb
orjanalmen wrote:
Discounts can't get a cost below zero, but getting money back after being paid could.

How to read the cards

X : -3 => Discount, can't get lower than zero
X: 2 => Getting money for performing X, no matter the cost

I forgot to mention, that the most important difference is that when you get money back, you need to have the full amount (after discounts) to be able to play the card, then you can skip paying those M€, but they need to be there. This is also where you can "convert" steel or titanium to money, if it's something you can pay with the metal, if you pay the full amount with for example steel, you get money back.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.