Popular Tags: [View All]
Harmonica
Netherlands
Tilburg
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
Keep your lovin' brother happy!
mbmbmbmbmb
Last night the documentary Best of Enemies had been broadcasted on the Dutch television and I have to say I was quite impressed. BoE is about a series of debates between left winger Gore Vidal - whose name I know vaguely - and right winger William Buckley - unknown to me - on ABC Television during the presidential elections of 1968.

What I saw was two American intellectuals fighting one another with intellect, sharpness and wit, that I haven't seen since then. And nastiness. Yeah, that too. They really hated each other. They also talked in a posh way, that I almost began to believe they were British. So it had existed!

Vidals note that sexuality is not only meant for breeding and pleasure, but also a way to gain power, touched a string.

The documentary zoomed in on the moment Buckley looses his temper, thereby refering to Vidals homosexuality. And that the debate seems to have changed to position of television in society, which had till then been a neutral anchorpoint. Anyway the series of debates kept both gentlemen busy for the rest of their lives. That's tragic, isn't it?

I don't know how and why, but the documentary made an impression on me. It was certainly one of the better things I have seen recently.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
10/₆
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
"Sometimes, the dark side overcomes what Lincoln called the better angels of our nature"
mb
I also like the James Baldwin vs. Buckley debate as well. Buckley had so many great enemies.

I love Gore Vidal. When I was young, I thought I'd grow up to be an essayist/novelist like Vidal, or a "New Journalist" like Capote or Hunter S. Thompson. So many interesting literary types from the 60's.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik D
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I've always admired the face offs between Jon Stewart and Bill O'Reilly. Talk about two men with completely different ideologies, but who were willing to appear on each other's shows repeatedly to have good, intelligent conversations. There was a certain level of professionalism between the two of them that is mostly absent these days.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mb
MOST "Likely Scenario" is Bill O'Reilly LACK 'commensurate intelligence' continually, hence "sporadically"!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've always heard that Vidal was considered an important intellectual, but I only know him from his books. Which I enjoyed and maybe learned stuff from too.

Buckley I have heard anecdotes of but that's about it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.