7,321 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
46.1% of Goal | left

Support:

Jason Desmarais
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
I apologize if this has been posted somewhere. I recently subscribed to Marvel Unlimited and after reading through most of the Secrets Wars comics I understand the Secret Wars Expansion cards much better. Is there a list out there that gives recommendations on what comics to read to understand the characters better? For example, the heroes from the Deadpool expansion seem to come from the Deadpool series starting after the Secret Wars.

I understand this would be very difficult for some of the very popular characters (which comic series do you reference for Spiderman?), but I would like to learn more about the heroes in this game.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Wheelock
Canada
Woodstock
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
David Malki drew this!
mbmbmbmbmb
You could read Civil War, I guess. Personally, I thought it was a pretty weak comic, but it would give you a better idea of why those particular Masterminds and Villain groups are in the Civil War expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Ed
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jason, welcome to the Legendary BGG forums community!

There are a ton of characters in Legendary. Are there any in particular that you are interested in reading about? That would help us focus on helping you.

Otherwise, I would recommend starting with the recommendations in this thread:

Great Marvel stories?

I hope this helps! Happy reading (and playing)!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ducko Kaiju
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
Deadpool expansion:
If you read Deadpool or Spiderman and Deadpool - you can catch the origins of Mercs for Money characters from the Deadpool expansion. You can also just read Deadpool and the Mercs for Money comics to see them in action. Slapstick, Solo and Stingray are some of the first members; meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jem
France
flag msg tools
ducko wrote:
Deadpool expansion:
If you read Deadpool or Spiderman and Deadpool - you can catch the origins of Mercs for Money characters from the Deadpool expansion. You can also just read Deadpool and the Mercs for Money comics to see them in action. Slapstick, Solo and Stingray are some of the first members; meeple

Am I right in thinking that Slapstick is first introduced in The Initiative, after Civil War? That's where I first remember coming across him at least.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Worley
United States
St Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jemjar wrote:
ducko wrote:
Deadpool expansion:

Am I right in thinking that Slapstick is first introduced in The Initiative, after Civil War? That's where I first remember coming across him at least.

Nope, Slapstick first came out in the early-90s. 1992, I think? He had his own like 4 issue mini-series. I proudly own all of them - he's still my favorite obscure Marvel character.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jem
France
flag msg tools
I stand corrected. Also a little traumatised.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacques Bouchet
France
PARIS
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
swheelock wrote:
You could read Civil War, I guess. Personally, I thought it was a pretty weak comic, but it would give you a better idea of why those particular Masterminds and Villain groups are in the Civil War expansion.

swheelock wrote:
it was a pretty weak comic

This. OMG, you're so right.

Not sure my english is right. Sorry.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David A
United States
Yorktown
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
swheelock wrote:

Personally, Civil War is one of my all-time favorite storylines! I didn't find it weak at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Wheelock
Canada
Woodstock
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
David Malki drew this!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thud105 wrote:
swheelock wrote:

Personally, Civil War is one of my all-time favorite storylines! I didn't find it weak at all.

Oh, I'm probably in the minority by far, given how much I hear about the storyline. I mean, they made a movie about it! Different strokes, I guess.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David A
United States
Yorktown
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
swheelock wrote:
mean, they made a movie about it! Different strokes, I guess.

Well.....kind of.....I guess

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rudy Castaneda
United States
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fuzzyinferno wrote:
I apologize if this has been posted somewhere. I recently subscribed to Marvel Unlimited and after reading through most of the Secrets Wars comics I understand the Secret Wars Expansion cards much better. Is there a list out there that gives recommendations on what comics to read to understand the characters better? For example, the heroes from the Deadpool expansion seem to come from the Deadpool series starting after the Secret Wars.

I understand this would be very difficult for some of the very popular characters (which comic series do you reference for Spiderman?), but I would like to learn more about the heroes in this game.

Thanks!

I think this question would be better served in a case-by-case basis. Give us a character and we'll give you a series.

-rudy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jem
France
flag msg tools
swheelock wrote:
Thud105 wrote:
swheelock wrote:

Oh, I'm probably in the minority by far, given how much I hear about the storyline. I mean, they made a movie about it! Different strokes, I guess.

I just wish that both the movie and the comic books had a couple of characters go "well then, I retire, screw you guys" because it's something that just isn't covered in either version. The difficulty of handling that situation across the range of different heroes and the different ways they're "superheroes" would potentially make the Registration Act completely untenable.

Anyway, back on the original point...

I agree with Rudi, pick a hero, look up a good arc and reading order and off you go. Marvel have been trying to find easy ways to bring new fans in over the past few years so it'll probably be easier than you might fear. Try the Season One books for a quickstart on some of the big names.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.