Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Clay Stone
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Hey fellas,

I was eyeing this game system and i had a question.

1. I'm not a big fan of the plane being in "box" form. Would the game still worked if i was using 1/2" counters instead on the hexboard?

Now, i haven't played this game or system so not sure what i'm asking can be done or shall i say work, but was just wondering?

Thanks fellas
Clay
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethan McKinney
United States
El Segundo
California
flag msg tools
Sure you can! You'll just enjoy the game a lot less and be frustrated.

Phil Markgraf thought the idea was stupid as well, but allowed me to show him how it worked in one of our playtests. After three turns, he called Tony Valle and told him, "We have to put box miniatures in the game."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clay Stone
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
elbmc1969 wrote:
Sure you can! You'll just enjoy the game a lot less and be frustrated.

Phil Markgraf thought the idea was stupid as well, but allowed me to show him how it worked in one of our playtests. After three turns, he called Tony Valle and told him, "We have to put box miniatures in the game."

Thanks Ethan...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is part of the visualization of the game. Having the plane "point" in roughly the attitude and direction helps with the 3d effect and makes it MUCH easier to play than constantly asking your opponents whether the plane is diving, etc.

Played a BUNCH of Air Force back in my youth and it was always a hassle trying to keep track of a fur ball. I thought the WWI game Wings addressed it pretty well with little round dots you could marl the counters with (climb/dive status and bank). The tilt blocks work better as they remove a step of visualization translation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Lund
Denmark
Århus
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
Yes, Beware the Geek bringing gifts!
mbmbmbmbmb
I felt the same way about the box-minis to begin with, but after actually playing it, I'm a believer

The box minis and tilt blocks are an integral part of the game - you can play it without, but you'll be missing out

.morten
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Ng
United States
Shoreline
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
The ability to represent visually flight attitudes in essential, IMHO, in air combat games. The box mini is one such method.
I've gone a step further using actual 1:700 miniatures encapsulated in a clear acrylic orb which can be rotated into any attitude. Have posted images of that contraption in BOP's yahoo group.

Joe
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethan McKinney
United States
El Segundo
California
flag msg tools
Please post them here, as wrll, with details.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Ng
United States
Shoreline
Washington
flag msg tools
mb

These are prototypes. The first is a 1:700 Mig 21 from Pit Road encapsulated in a 50 mm acrylic sphere and resting on a PVC bushing with a foot print of 40 mm. The model is attached using 1/16" metal rod terminated with a small 1/8" ring magnet. This is secured by another 1/8" inch or 3/16" inch ring magnet on the outside of the sphere.
The mini can be attached along whatever axis you choose, but in the end, aesthetically best pointed rearward. The plastic ring that is part of the orb can be used to attack smoke/flame etc.

For 1:700 jets I believe 40 mm sphere is better. I have tried a 30 mm one which is shown in picture 3 encasing a Trumpeter F4-J. Tight fit.

The 50 mm sphere can be used for 1:285 WW2 mini. The one shown is a GHQ Me-109. Heavier models like the CinC P-47 won't work with magnets. Better to permanently glue to the sphere.

Welcome any ideas especially on the pedestal. I have in mind something like an upside down round table with the 4 legs holding the orb.

Joe
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.