Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
15 Posts

Combat Commander: Europe» Forums » Sessions

Subject: F@t L1pk1: 0MG rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Holy shit! And I mean that in the best possible ways. Tonights installment of Combat Commander via VASSAL with the EXTREMELY friendly, helpful and fun
Michael Olsen
Denmark
Ringsted
Danmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
who I hope will become a regular opponent. I'm running out of things to say BASED ON A FEW PLAYS OF THE OPENING DAMNED NOOB "BORING" SCENARIO. So I will summarize in a picture, which is worth a thousand words

I once again failed to commandeer the crack Germans to victory, falling short by 3VP on sudden death, Michael was certainly distracted enough in keeping an eye on my understanding of the rules that he erred in backing off towards the end looking at securing a big sudden death win (which I chipped back due to holding the main objectives), but he'd not spotted that the large STACK OF DEATH which I'd moved up the road out of the pond house could actually have exited the map (double exit VPs) for something like 12 VPs, luckily for him, the german commander was too giddy with the smell of HOT LEAD and sat there focussing on trying to mow down everyone in sight (thinking of elimination VPs, forgetting the main goal of exit VP). But to win against Michael would have been unfair, so it felt quite right that I should learn several important lessons during the game, which I hope to remember, a bit at a time over the years!

Back and forth action, just amazing, I honestly dont know what to say I feel like I just want to kind of slither down in my chair in a self satisfied heap of joy. If this post ends suddenly you will know why. We had snipers at key moments, heros running around like headless chickens, weapons jamming, highs and lows of crazy rolls in both directions, frantic turns, oh god, its just magic. This is just magic.

without blathering on too much, there were 2 thoughts that popped out that I thought I should mention,
one, to me, this game is genius. It really is, I had the same kinds of thoughts about programming when I was around for the change from syntax heavy, constrained closer to machine code levels to the explosion of higher level, object oriented languages that hid away all the "stuff going on" and let people who might not have had the discipline before suddenly have an avenue for creation because they could think about bigger ideas in broad terms, and put together objects to do cool stuff.
Its probably a shitty analogy but it just feels like THIS IS IT, this is what I've been looking for in my dabbbling around and checking out of these kinds of games, I dont want to feel like Im getting bogged down in the tiny minutaie of excessive rules while plodding away with complete control of tiny squares. Here I'm talking in broader, more creative brush strokes. I want to MOVE down this road, I want to FIRE at those bastards who just popped out of the treeline, I need to RECOVER my panicked leader, thats Lt Von Karsties, a person, who is leading his rifle squad, carrying the machine gun to the pond house, which Ive got jotted on my objective pad as "important", the memo also saying "get out and across the area as quick as you can", snipers are suddenly seeing my hero hit the deck in fear, my guns are jamming because I roll a crappy double 1 while letting loose a mega firegroup across the road. I'm utterly entranced by this, I hope it's not just a phase, please say its not! The thing is, time after time stuff happened that I recognised from various discussions and criticisms, but while I could see what they meant, I just loved ALL OF IT, like, good and bad, everything they say about this game creating a rich and utterly immersive narrative is true. And its the kind of narrative and freewheeling wrestling match to exert good control in the moments you need to, that I really enjoy and want. I cant see how the rival systems can offer it, they just dont have the framework for it. Oh god, this is just amazing.

Oh, there were 2 points, yes, those bloody map makers. I mean, Ive only poked around in detail on this first map (out of SEVENTY TWO available currently) and the number of times we got into situations where the lines of sight were literally a gnats chuff one way or the other, like to the pixel can NOT Have been an accident. Some bloody great work has been silently snuck into these maps, I can tell you that.

I need a lie down now, I was extremely tired from some long working hours and 2 young kids, but I was engaged and enthralled the whole time. WOW.

I want to play just this opening scenario more and more, it really has felt totally different the few times Ive tried it, the fact that Ive got 100 odd scenarios, 72 maps, loads of extra rules and campaigns and a random scenario generator that ive already wowwed at before I started playing the game is mind boggling to me. But still, consider me financially subscribed to this seres, ad infinitum

and thank you once again Michael for getting a game set up with me and being an awesome gaming partner!!! I really appreciate it and hope it wasnt too much like hard work keeping an eye on my mistakes

pS
and thanks a lot to GMT & Chad Jensen for their support of VASSAL, its amazing to be able to experience this game digitally to increase your potential opponents to include the whole world, and whoever put this module together did a great job, it works fantastically well ( we couldnt find how you should "end turn" though)
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonia
Germany
Aachen
Nordrhein-Westfalen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice that you managed to find a Vassal opponent.

Then I guess you will not need me anymore

For the future: please post session reports in the appropriate forum so it is easier to find
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I would still very much like to play some scenarios with you Antonia!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Len K
United States
Westford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
You were expecting something witty?
mbmbmbmbmb
BoJack Horseman wrote:
(we couldnt find how you should "end turn" though)

I don't think there is an 'end turn'. It's just another 'next order', and then click the 'eraser' icon to clear the activation & target highlighting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Trad

Alexandria
Virginia
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BoJack Horseman wrote:

I want to play just this opening scenario more and more, it really has felt totally different the few times Ive tried it, the fact that Ive got 100 odd scenarios, 72 maps, loads of extra rules and campaigns and a random scenario generator that ive already wowwed at before I started playing the game is mind boggling to me.

It has been said that Scenario #1 is not so great by various people. I suppose I agree, but only in comparison to what is coming in all the other scenarios!

Also, it is my opinion that CC is best played in RSG mode. All the scenarios and campaigns are just so fantastic, but they amount to a doctorate program to prepare to be a decent RSG Commander.

As to playing without errors, Hahahah, good luck. I played wrong for years and years. Just had to go back and replay everything... oh well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Jacobsen
United States
Milwaukie
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gunderian007 wrote:

As to playing without errors, Hahahah, good luck. I played wrong for years and years. Just had to go back and replay everything... oh well.

The rules do take a while to embody! I've played 10 games, and I finally think I have most major rules down. I'm hesitant to say I have everything down, because there's always those edge cases that leave you scratching your head.

It wasn't til our last game that I realized you could form multiple fire groups with a single fire order. Until then we'd just been making one big group each time.

My recommendation to the OP or anyone just diving in, is to re-read the entire rulebook cover-to-cover every couple of games. Try to read it with fresh eyes, and read all the examples of play again too. I've seen new nuance with each read.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chick Lewis
United States
Claremont
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great session report, and I LOVE your enthusiasm,Bojack !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Olsen
Denmark
Ringsted
Danmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for a great game Bojack.

Yes, you almost got me there. I suspect you soon will be a formidable opponent.

I think once I got the right side of the map covered I started to feel invincible ; - )

I look forward to playing you again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrei Shlepov
Russia
Moscow
flag msg tools
Heraus zur letzten Parade!
mbmbmbmbmb
All of which does amount to one simple thing: you've found a game which is both fun and easy to play, which is a rare bird, indeed.

CC plays effortlessly. It takes a couple of plays to find out whether you love or hate CC.

And Lipki is still the most boring scenario out there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
k1nu wrote:
BoJack Horseman wrote:

I don't think there is an 'end turn'. It's just another 'next order', and then click the 'eraser' icon to clear the activation & target highlighting.

Yeah Michael found the eraser option and mostly we just verbally ended turns and drew up

Thanks for the very generous gg tips and to all who've welcomed me to the fray
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Olsen
Denmark
Ringsted
Danmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BoJack Horseman wrote:
...it just feels like THIS IS IT, this is what I've been looking for in my dabbbling around and checking out of these kinds of gamess

By the way, this mirrors my experience as well. When I first tried CC:E not so long ago I instantly had the feeling that this was the game I had been looking for. I had played other tactical games, all ok and all, but nothing even remotely compared to this.

So I rushed out and got everything : - ) (well, there are still a couple C3i scenarios I have not been able to locate), and never regretted it. I know this game will be on the shelf forever, and my biggest dream is my kids will grow to like it, giving us something fun to do for the rest of our lives (yes, I love CC:E that much : - )).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Olsen
Denmark
Ringsted
Danmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BoJack Horseman wrote:
k1nu wrote:
BoJack Horseman wrote:

Yeah Michael found the eraser option and mostly we just verbally ended turns and drew up

Actually, you verbally ended and I pressed the eraser for you at the end of most of your turns : - )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Len K
United States
Westford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
You were expecting something witty?
mbmbmbmbmb
Michael_Olsen wrote:
BoJack Horseman wrote:
...it just feels like THIS IS IT, this is what I've been looking for in my dabbbling around and checking out of these kinds of gamess

By the way, this mirrors my experience as well. When I first tried CC:E not so long ago I instantly had the feeling that this was the game I had been looking for. I had played other tactical games, all ok and all, but nothing even remotely compared to this.

So I rushed out and got everything : - ) (well, there are still a couple C3i scenarios I have not been able to locate), and never regretted it. I know this game will be on the shelf forever, and my biggest dream is my kids will grow to like it, giving us something fun to do for the rest of our lives (yes, I love CC:E that much : - )).

This, that, and that. Pacific too. It's my desert island game. It's Up Front with maps and counters.

BTW if you tell me what C3i scenarios you're missing, I can scan & PM them to you. Got 'em all (I think?)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Hill
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love reading about a person's first experiences with CC, especially those who see the same movies playing before their eyes that I did when I first began playing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Olsen
Denmark
Ringsted
Danmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
k1nu wrote:
BTW if you tell me what C3i scenarios you're missing, I can scan & PM them to you. Got 'em all (I think?)

Thanks! It has already been offered to me from somewhere else, so it seems I do not need to take you up on this kind offer. Thanks again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.