$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
46.6% of Goal | left

Support:

Dimitri Sirenko
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
Hey guys so in my game people complete sets of treasures.
Each treasure gives you Victory Points, but also you get bonus victory points if you collect treasures of the same color

Current prototype look is like the one at the top of the image
red green or blue circle with a number in it signifying the basic points that each treasure will give
- this one is not colorblind friendly

The next few options show how i can solve the issue and make it more color blind friendly

Im leaning towards option 3 since separating color and victory points actually make it even more clear. However, im torn between using actual color words or creating some type of image association
One more thing that i did not sketch in that image that should be mentioned that there are treasures that also dont belong to any color. They are wild cards meaning you can complete sets of any color using those. For those as it stands i have a circles devided into 3 sections with all 3 colors. I also have one that is Black with a game logo on it to signify the wild cards.
What do you guys think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Riley
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Nos operamur, te ludere
badge
"Life is more fun if you play games." - Roald Dahl
mbmbmbmbmb
Shapes, points in the colored shape.

Your current image has pretty dark text on fairly dark color swatches, though. I'd consider switching to light text on the color swatches.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dimitri Sirenko
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
wombat929 wrote:
Shapes, points in the colored shape.

Your current image has pretty dark text on fairly dark color swatches, though. I'd consider switching to light text on the color swatches.

thank you! yeah the dark text on dark bg is just a quick sketch error lol. I would definitely make it stand out a lot more

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Molokov (AU)
Australia
Adelaide
South Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The black writing on the red background is very hard to read.

I personally like the last option - an icon on the colour with the points separate. But I can also see that a shaped colour with the number on it would work just as well.

(I'm R/G deutero, so only a little bit colourblind)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Zscheile
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Option 2 seems the best to me, but I am not colour blind, so...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Moyer
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Perhaps it's possible to combine option 2 with the last option? It's neat that you're trying to differentiate by shape, but they're very abstract shapes. If instead the shapes were literally flame tree water, it might make a bit more sense. I can totally see that you're going for abstract flame tree water, but maybe try something a little more like a silhouette?

The big problem I see with that is the difficulty of fitting a number inside of a tree silhouette. I'm not sure how crazy your numbers are here, but consider also 3 trees, or 2 flames, or 4 waves or something like that. It may be harder to read and no more useful though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dimitri Sirenko
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
thanks guys.
i was also thinking of this option
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mads Fløe
Denmark
Aarhus C
DK
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You can upload your graphics to this website that simulates different kinds of colorblindness. It's fast and easy to use: color-blindness.com

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.