Hide
21 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Gaming with Kids

Subject: Math game for six year old rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stephanie L
msg tools
My six year old asked for a "math boardgame" for Christmas. I'm not exactly sure what he means by this. We already have Zeus on the Loose. He's a very bright kid. Any games involving addition, subtraction, easy multiplication, or other ideas appropriate for the age level are appreciated. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brodie
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
Prime Climb

Maybe a little much for 6...but maybe in a year or two.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre C
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
City of Zombies
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris in Kansai
Japan
Otsu
Shiga
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can't Stop
Stone Age
Tumblin-Dice
Coloretto

Basically, anything not too complex with resources to pay for or scoring to calculate can be made fun to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephanie L
msg tools
Thanks for the recs! They look awesome and some I've never heard of before!

We already own and enjoy Coloretto. We played Can't Stop once at a game night. We enjoyed, but I actually forgot about it until you mentioned it. Great suggestions.

Thanks!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Fuhrmann
United States
Spencerville
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Snow Tails
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flying Flower
United States
San Francisco Bay Area
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Considering your user name is Cribbage Queen you probably already own a game perfect for developing math skills...we used Cribbage as a way for our boys to use a lot of math.

Also, we had them keep score on Qwirkle. Any game with a score, we had them keep it.

Dominoes games can involve math. Muggins is where players score when the ends are multiples of 5.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Lallatin
United States
John Day
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A Haba game: Secret Code 13+4. You have to mult/div/add/subtract dice to infiltrate a laser-protected museum.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Jurney
United States
Tooele
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I dont have a specific game but you can search by "math" as a category
[url]
https://boardgamegeek.com/search/boardgame?sort=rank&advsear...[/url]

I have heard Sleeping Queens isnt to bad, but I dont know much about it. Hope this helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Buchanan
China
Shenyang
Liaoning
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Depending on how confident they are at maths, I would seriously recommend looking at City of Zombies. (as already recommended above by cruisechum)

In essence it's a board-based tower defence game, where the players work cooperatvely, rolling dice and using all of the numbers from their dice and any mathematical operations they choose, the eliminate the approaching zombies by matching up to their target nmubers.

I've used this in class with 8 year-olds plus, normally using the first two or three levels of target cards. Certainly the first level is pretty straightforward in making the numbers work and each level, the target cards get a little more difficult.

There's also an expansion/stand-alone card game called Times Square, which can be added to the board or played without - whilst adding an extra die to the mix.

The art is god, the theming nice and the maths component is excellent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Take it Easy!
Ka-Ching!
Kingdoms

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The neutral evil villain known as
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
Ow quit it.
mbmbmbmbmb
Mmm ... Brains!

It's all math.

During a player's turn they roll the dice up to three times. Between rolls, dice can be set aside or re-thrown. At the end of their rolls, or sometime sooner, they can stop rolling and take their total in brains. Their total is the sum of the die faces in one colour, multiplied by the number of brain symbols rolled. A quick burst of arithmetic, which is probably wrong, tells me that 27 is the highest possible brain income you can get during a turn (5 + 4 times 3 brains).

Players take turns repeating this until the supply of 150 brains is drained. Then the game takes a sinister turn... the die rolling continues as normal, however the total and colour of the roll is deducted from the owner of that brain card's brains. If due to bad luck that colour is not in the game, then the roller has to pay from their own supply of brains. If a player is reduced to no brains, they're eliminated from the game.

Play continues until one player remains with brains.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven De Tavernier
Belgium
ELLEZELLES
Hainaut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pirate Arithmetics
Monza

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan
United States
Hellertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
Dragonwood is a great game that has lots of math involved. It has a ton of reasoning, probability, and statistics. It even won an award from Mensa.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
Sleeping Queens
Balloon Cup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
southern AB
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Diamant/Incan Gold
Figaro

Seconding Balloon Cup. My kid used to completely destroy me at it when he was 7.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Blankstein
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Possibly not for this year, but the easy cards from 24 could be good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Violet Mackerel
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I have an almost-6 year old. Here are a few of our favorites:

+1 to Sleeping Queens, which encourages kids to get rid of cards by stringing together cards with 2 or 3 numbers that can be added together, along with the solution.

Some of the 77 ways to play TENZI variations on Tenzi use math, and you can basically make up your own.

We do a lot of counting and comparing numbers (to see which is higher), as well as addition and subtraction, in Munchkin Adventure Time.

And many games that have score counting at the end can work, too. I just got 12 Days and can see it will be a good one because of the final adding up of points.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Krämer
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Try Just4Fun.
Its a game combining the (simple) addition of up to 4 numbers with connect four.

You have 4 cards in your hand and a board with 36 numbers. You can add up to 4 of the numbers on your cards to place a token of your color on the field with this number. If you are the first player with 4 connected fields on the board where you have the moste tokens on, you win the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Wilder
Canada
North York
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I like the Cribbage suggestion. Playing cribbage with my parents and grandparents as a young child helped me improve my addition abilities.

My daughter is 6 and is really into math, but I think part of math that is important is logic and patterns (patterns are my daughter's favourite part of the math classes she has in school).

So for patterns SET or SET Junior would be good options.

For logical thinking Robot Turtles is a good option.

I think a six year old could probably handle 6 nimmt!. Its a card game, and there isn't addition or subtraction in the game play, but it is about ordering numbers. The scoring is subtracting points when you get cards and if your score drops to 0 you lose, so there is subtraction in the scoring.

Any game where you use money and make change is a good opportunity to practice addition and subtraction. My daughter love The Game of Life, and I use it as a tool for teaching her addition and subtraction. It also helps her learn about different magnitudes of numbers. All of the bills in the game are $1,000 or bigger, but that could be used to show that we are just adding thousands. So 1000 + 1000 is 2,000, but the addition could be simply done as 1 + 1 = 2, and then putting the three zeros at the end.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephanie L
msg tools
Thanks for all the fantastic suggestions. I'll check them out!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.