7,120 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
44.9% of Goal | left

Support:

Noway Jose
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First and foremost thanks for the help last week guys. Was looking to find the right games to play with new people to help make a game group. They loved the games you guys suggested BUT because of their car situation (they don't have one apparently) we will not be doin a regular game night... ugh

I adore my wife. She's simply the best and likes to play games! She plays a lot of minecraft.

We struggle, despite all my games I have, to find a game to really get into.

I think what we need is a co-op with a sense of progression.

She loves good stories, likes the idea of being co-operative and doesn't like people opposing her in games thus not liking multiplayer video games but she does like working against the game so to speak.

Games we have tried to no avail
* LOTR LCG (the constant deck building was just a turn off and we didn't find the game all that thematic
*Ghost stories - its hard but we find it better with 4 people as 2 people controlling 2 characters each feels unthematic
* Caverna - like it and its not a co-op but frankly its a bit much to digest, i think she prefers agricola but that doesn't even get table time

Games i am thinkin about
*Galaxy defenders- seems to fit the bill? I think the idea of having a campaign you finish is appealing
*Descent with road to legend app - haven't tried it thoughts?

Open to suggestions... would love to find something to fill this empty void!

Cheers BGG
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
El Dorito
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'd suggest the two co-op games my wife and I played recently.
Both games have good progression, and lots of fun!

Harry Potter: Hogwarts Battle
Mechs vs. Minions
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
What about Pandemic Legacy: Season 1?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cool User
United States
Detroit metro area
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can commiserate with your wife. Sometimes when you're depressed it's too hard to deal with conflict even in an inconsequential board game.

Have you tried Pandemic? The possibility of branching out to a progressive campaign in Pandemic Legacy might be something she enjoys.

Also, maybe try some unofficial house rules with other games that might not normally be to your wife's tastes. For example, I was looking at getting Dice City because everything about it appealed to me until I saw that players could choose to build a destructive machine, whereby their main playing mode is attacking others and damaging what they've built. That ruined it for me, because I know I would never get in a game where someone wouldn't take that route. However, I could get behind a house rule placing limits on how much attacking is allowed or whether it is allowed at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris in Kansai
Japan
Otsu
Shiga
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out
Richard Ham
Malta
Marsalforn
Gozo, Malta
flag msg tools
CLICK THIS BEAGLE if you're looking for in-depth gameplay video run-throughs! :)
mbmbmbmbmb
's reviews.

His main gaming partner is his wife and they're very much into low/no conflict games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lampeter
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, in one of its 4 flavors?

Many people dislike this game and will likely slam it here, but it seems like those who love it like to play with their spouse.

If your wife likes to build her own narrative around events (a la Minecraft?) it may appeal to her. Keep in mind that the story has to be one you make up to make sense of the cards, other wise you are just playing cards and rolling dice.

The progression element is lots of fun, because you very slowly build your deck and abilities over the course of many sessions.

If you buy everything at once it would cost a fortune, but if you buy the base game to see if you like it, then add the 6 adventure decks slowly as you progress, it isn't so bad. Plus you can start over with new characters.

Anyway, it may not appeal to you, but I figured I'd throw it out there. It is probably my husband's and my favorite casual game to play together.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karan R
India
Mumbai
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective for sure
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
April W
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe look at Legends of Andor. I haven't played it but did some research on it recently and it looks like a decent story driven co-op. Also my husband and I have been enjoying The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey more recently. It's on the lighter side and may not feel thematic enough for your tastes, but I really like it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin R
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rahdo loved Shadowrun: Crossfire. Might look into that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noway Jose
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JJRR_Esq wrote:
Rahdo loved Shadowrun: Crossfire. Might look into that.

Really? I thought it was really more of a 4 player game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Feras H
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dead of Winter: A Crossroads Game < Great game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Long
United States
Auburn
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played T.I.M.E Stories, but I hear it's great and might fit your needs. Best of luck finding the right games!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Engilis
United States
Elk Grove
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Look into ...

Mansions of Madness Second edition. The game requires an app but the app is terrific making the game extremely easy for newcomers to play. My wife who doesn't care for co-op games really liked this one.

For a much simpler co-op but one that I and my friends have enjoyed because of the fun and tension it provides ... Star Trek Panic.

Good luck with your quest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Raciborski
United States
Newport News
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not a co-op, The Castles of Burgundy, plays well with 2 and scales well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Long
United States
Auburn
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My group absolutely loves Robinson Crusoe: Adventures on the Cursed Island. It scales very well down to 2. Super thematic and immersive. As straight co-ops go, this is our favorite, by far.

And I've been having a lot of fun playing Legends of Andor with my son. It's great with 2!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Korfmann
United States
Wilson
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Sherlock Holmes: Consulting Detective. Look no further, really. This is the one. I was a little intimidated by it at first, but once you figure out how to play, and don't stress over it, just talk it through and enjoy it, it's really great. My wife asked me to play this with her on a date for her birthday. It's a winner. Do it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven P
United States
Livermore
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My favorite co-op is Hanabi, though it doesn't have progression. Perhaps you could "unlock" the rainbow cards and different variants?

I also love Sentinels of the Multiverse, but again, you'd have to add in progression. Perhaps unlocking different villains, advanced mode, etc. Or just keep buying expansions ;-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Fuhrmann
United States
Spencerville
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
feraswheel wrote:

Not so much for 2p
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Val Ofiesh
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
T.I.M.E Stories is a co-op with storyline. Not my top suggestion though as it get expensive to add scenarios.

First choice is Above and Below which is not a co-op but has such a great story-telling element that I think you'd both enjoy it.

Sentinels of the Multiverse is just a harsh co-op and I don't endorse it at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Boze wrote:
I think what we need is a co-op with a sense of progression.

I second Pandemic Legacy. Seems like the obvious choice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lluluien
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Soleia wrote:
Maybe look at Legends of Andor. I haven't played it but did some research on it recently and it looks like a decent story driven co-op. Also my husband and I have been enjoying The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey more recently. It's on the lighter side and may not feel thematic enough for your tastes, but I really like it.

I'll warn you because I learned this the hard way: Legends of Andor is not a dudes-on-a-map, story-driven co-op game. It's a Euro racing optimization game. I know that sounds crazy, but there is a very large contingent of people that have played this game and said "WTF, this is nothing like what I thought it was". I wanted to love it but I just can't. I thought it would be a cross between Defenders of the Realm and the D&D board games from the theme and the basic description of the game, but the whole killing-monsters-advances-time-and-you-already-don't-have-enough really killed it for me (and a lot of other folks).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lluluien
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
SpaceAlien wrote:
Sentinels of the Multiverse is just a harsh co-op and I don't endorse it at all.

I don't think Sentinels is bad if you're familiar with this kind of card game - the hero decks are all very familiar archetypes from other games in this genre. My group actually found it's too easy on normal... but then hard mode is typically brutal enough that you're then right back at your criticism that it's too harsh, which limits the audience you can play it with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter S.
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
There is actually a Minecraft card game. I recall seeing it at Target (in a physical store), though it was a while ago.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Wood
United States
Wheaton
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Flash Point: Fire Rescue
Freedom: The Underground Railroad
Police Precinct
Black Orchestra
Elder Sign: Gates of Arkham with the base game
+1 for robinson

And my top 3 two player games of all time are:

1. The Rose King
2. Targi
3. Baseball Highlights: 2045

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Stuart
United States
Norman
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
KaBOOM!
mbmbmbmbmb
So, co-op with a sense of progression is quite literally Pandemic Legacy: Season 1 and Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective.

But, since others have already suggested those, I'll recommend a game my wife and I love, called Mysterium. To be fair, we've never played it 2 player before, though it does say you can play with 2. That said, every group I've played with, from 3 up absolutely loves it. It's certainly worth a look.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.