Popular Tags: [View All]
Peer Sylvester
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Just out of curiousity:
Do you allow taking notes during a game?

(I dont, unless specifically allowed by the rules as in Cluedo. But Ive seen it done in 18xx)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roel van der Hoorn
Netherlands
Enschede
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Peerchen wrote:
Just out of curiousity:

It really depends on the (type of) game, but it is rare in the gaming groups I play in.

In 18xx it is more common. Some 18xx games include dividend trackers, others don't, so sometimes people want to keep track of dividends. We also play with calculators (you could argue using calculators is a form of taking notes). In 18xx and other economical games, I prefer to use my head for the actual decisions at hand, not on calculating or remembering stuff.

Note: We play North American Railways with open cash.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian K
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We played with open cash, so I don't think note taken is meaningful (am I missing something?). We do not really like hidden but trackable information and since the money is double sided it is very fiddly to hide it anyway.

Edit: Wait, do you mean in this game or in general?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peer Sylvester
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Muemmelmann wrote:
We played with open cash, so I don't think note taken is meaningful (am I missing something?). We do not really like hidden but trackable information and since the money is double sided it is very fiddly to hide it anyway.

Edit: Wait, do you mean in this game or in general?

Both :-)

Im just always curious about this "trackable = Open" thing. Every word spoken in a game night is perfectly trackable, but I doubt anyone would be able to do this, even if he wanted to (without taking notes). So, if I read that its clear where everyone stands at the end, I wonder if you take notes or just play with open cash.

As I said, I know groups who allow notes and all of them switched to open cash, while those who dont, generally doesnt (with some exceptions).

(This is not meant as a criticsm in any way! Everyone should play games the wa they want. As I said, its just my curiosity, since I play with closed cahs and Im never able to track how much money everyone has. Not even close).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian K
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would also likely not be able to or it would slow the game a lot down if people were trying to do it (=not fun). I am generally not a fan of games rewarding doing things that are not fun, so that is why we play this way.

Of course it encourages players to calculate everything near the end which is also not fun but alas. None of the versions are perfect for us but I think open cash is more satisfactory. With another group, I might play with closed cash instead.

I am still wondering if we should try with hidden cash next time If only the components allowed us to do this easier (having one side of the money without print), I would be more likely to try it out.

In general I prefer hidden cash which is not trackable (such as in You're Bluffing!. This is the perfect solution for me but with half the money going to the company, the cash is gonna be trackable unless you introduce some kind of hidden envelope for each company.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikko Saari
Finland
flag msg tools
http://www.lautapeliopas.fi/ - the best Finnish board game resource!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No note taking, but just about always open cash. It just makes sense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Boisselle
Canada
Boucherville
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
Within the realm of color, the shadows often assume responsibility for the awkward shine of yellow.
mbmbmbmbmb
msaari wrote:
No note taking, but just about always open cash. It just makes sense.

Same here.

Clearclaw would not allow for hidden cash.
So we make it an unbreakable rule.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ludwig Seitz
Sweden
Lund
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I think my group would allow it, if it doesn't take excessive amounts of time. However we mostly play with open cash/VP/whatever (in games where these things are trackable), and then it's not an issue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
Peerchen wrote:

I commonly hand out paper, pencils and calculators at the starts of games. If and how players might use them is up to them. In this line I also always play with any trackable information open. It isn't a question that one might play with trackable information hidden, it is an automatic and instant of-course that all trackable information is open.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geeky McGeekface
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
For the first time in 108 years, the Cubs are world champions! Incredible game 7 victory over a valiant Cleveland team.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never seen anyone even consider taking notes during a game. It just seems wrong somehow.

We played this with closed cash holdings and I think it makes for a better game. It would certainly play quite differently with open cash. I think most of us had a vague idea of how much cash the others had, but there was no certainty.

BTW, Peer, very good game. Congratulations!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peer Sylvester
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Larry Levy wrote:

BTW, Peer, very good game. Congratulations!

Thanks, that is nice to hear :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.