Hide
3 Posts

Escape Room: The Game» Forums » General

Subject: Language dependency - light, medium, heavy? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Javier
msg tools
I'm not talking about the background story, which is obviously told in the language the game is printed in, but I'm asking about the puzzle-solving mechanics themselves. And no spoilers, please!

Case in point, I will play the German version with German friends and, even though I can speak German, my level is intermediate. It should be fine as long as there are crosswords, wordsearches, anagrams or other sort of light linguistic elements, but I can't handle puns, idioms, riddles or situations that require a heavy usage of the language so that only natives or those with advanced knowledge can solve.

If such elements are present, I know I can move on and try the logical, graphical and/or mathematical puzzles and leave the others for the natives, but just wondering, since I don't want to ruin them their experience and making them lose time by making them translate every bit for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cardboard Hustle
United States
Sharonville
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You will be fine. In the English version, I don't recall anything that required culturally specific English language knowledge to solve. Obviously, you will need a functional knowledge of your respective language to play, which it sounds like you have. You can enjoy this game as a non-native speaker of the printed language.

Relax and have fun! Wait...don't relax...the clock is ticking!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus Müller
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmb
xavi2k wrote:
I'm not talking about the background story, which is obviously told in the language the game is printed in, but I'm asking about the puzzle-solving mechanics themselves. And no spoilers, please!

Case in point, I will play the German version with German friends and, even though I can speak German, my level is intermediate. It should be fine as long as there are crosswords, wordsearches, anagrams or other sort of light linguistic elements, but I can't handle puns, idioms, riddles or situations that require a heavy usage of the language so that only natives or those with advanced knowledge can solve.

If such elements are present, I know I can move on and try the logical, graphical and/or mathematical puzzles and leave the others for the natives, but just wondering, since I don't want to ruin them their experience and making them lose time by making them translate every bit for me.

Spoiler-free: Playing the German game with intermediate language skills should work fine. It's mostly careful reading that's needed!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.