Subject: Agricola Family Edition or Tiny Epic Galaxies rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Elijah F
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm looking to purchase a worker placement game and I've narrowed it down to Agricola: Family Edition or Tiny Epic Galaxies.

I'd like something that plays under an hour. I also want to feel like you've accomplished something without it being too spreadsheety.

Which would you all recommend and why?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alicia
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tiny Epic Galaxies isn't a worker placement game. It's a dice game.

Here's a video of the game play for you to see what you think:

As for Agricola, I personally feel the game is at its best as the full game with minor improvements and occupations, so if you want to try Agricola, I recommend getting the full game. The cards give you strategic directions, and make each game feel different, even when the end goals stay the same. It's a great worker placement game, and I highly suggest it. Do note that the game can feel frustrating for people sometimes, as it's quite difficult to build up a successful farm. I personally love the challenge.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elijah F
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the reply.

You are right, TEG is a dice game. So, ignoring my "worker placement" request .. which do you feel is more approachable and is playable in under an hour without being a super thinky game. I have some that are prone to AP.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Chesapeake
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like Agricola, but I am not a huge fan. That said, I would take any version of Agricola over Tiny Epic Galaxies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Maynard
United Kingdom
Exeter
flag msg tools
mbmb
I don't think Agricola can be played in under an hour. Assuming the family edition is just Agricola without the occupations and minor improvement cards then it's no quicker to play, just simpler.

I would say that Tiny Epic Galaxies is more approachable but they're so different.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alicia
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We play two-player Agricola (full game) in around an hour, but we are almost 50 games in.

My husband sometimes struggles with learning games, but thanks to a good instructional video, he picked up the family game quite quickly. The occupations and minor improvements of the full game did take a bit of time to get used to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colm McCarthy
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Our two-player Agricola games rarely go over an hour.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edwin Woody
msg tools
mb
alicialaura wrote:
Tiny Epic Galaxies isn't a worker placement game. It's a dice game.

Here's a video of the game play for you to see what you think:

As for Agricola, I personally feel the game is at its best as the full game with minor improvements and occupations, so if you want to try Agricola, I recommend getting the full game. The cards give you strategic directions, and make each game feel different, even when the end goals stay the same. It's a great worker placement game, and I highly suggest it. Do note that the game can feel frustrating for people sometimes, as it's quite difficult to build up a successful farm. I personally love the challenge.

Tiny Epic Galaxies is absolutely a worker placement game.
The spaceship meeples fill exactly the same function that human meeples would.

In that same vein, the brush pots in Kanagawa serve as workers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H C
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fried Egg wrote:
I don't think Agricola can be played in under an hour. Assuming the family edition is just Agricola without the occupations and minor improvement cards then it's no quicker to play, just simpler.

I would say that Tiny Epic Galaxies is more approachable but they're so different.

It is NOT for anyone thinking this. The new edition of Agricola should've just been named differently, it is that different. Removing stone and veggies and other streamlining things does put it under 1 hour.

I vote Agricola. Uwes games tend to be more refined than something of the level of the TE games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Schindler
United States
Lombard
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd get Agricola: Family Edition. It's quite a good game, and it does play in under an hour. Even though the setup doesn't change from game to game, it's quite replayable because the game is so interactive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Long
United States
Auburn
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If only Notre Dame were still in print. It's the perfect game to scratch the particular itch you seem to have.

And, at least in my family and gaming groups, it's far superior to both of the games you mention.

I know, moot point, as it's OOP. If only...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.