Dan Cunningham
United States
Edgerton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmb
First of all, this game looks interesting, in an abstract- but light-strategy sort of way. I have not played it, only read the rules. But upon reading the rules, I wonder if the designer ever thought of using dice instead of chits?

The way I would see it working would be to have each chit be a die, and you always have two dice rolled and available (hidden?). But placement and rules would play exactly the same.

The reason I think of this would be personally interesting is that I have a soft spot for dice, and a large field of colored dice is, in my opinion, a beautiful thing. I also don't really care for chits-in-a-bag, but maybe that's just me.

I could see this having been considered by the designer, but the cost being the issue. But two other games come to mind with lots of colored dice: Sagrada and Roll Player. Sagrada in particular is an interesting one, as that game already has 18 dice in 4(+) colors! And white-pipped translucent dice would really fit in nicely with the "light" theme.

So in all, I wonder if dice were ever considered during the development of Glüx? I think it would be a fun, interesting, and potentially beautiful variation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vic DiGital
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's what I was wondering. Instead of pulling from a bag, you could roll the dice, and just pick that side or the opposite side to place on the board. The only difference is that with chits, you have a set breakdown of how many of each number there is, where dice it's possible to have 28 1's on the board (although statistically unlikely). I'd be curious to try. I've got hundreds of dice in various colors.

As to the cost, a 36-pack of 12mm dice runs about $7 or so if you're just buying them straight up, so I don't think it's unreasonable to assume you'd be adding at least $10 to $20 to the price of the game by including more than 100 dice. But how much cooler would this game look if it was all translucent dice on the board?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kissell
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally I love the simplicity of pulling the disk out of the bag, and it ensures an equal distribution.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Macleod
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I think that would make the game too random the cardboard pieces ensure everyone has the exact same moves available to them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob G

Chicago
Illinois
msg tools
mb
I would be interested in custom dice or bakelite tiles (a la Hive or Codinca)!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.