Age of Conan: The Strategy Board Game» Forums » General

Subject: Thinking of buying this rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Atanasije Stojkovic
Serbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've come up to a relatively cheap offer. I've read through all the reviews, but I didn't find the "Don't buy this game if..." which has so far been proven to be the most helpful during decision-making.

Can anyone help me over here? I like War of the Ring very much, if that's worth something.

Five hours length is a max I'd never want to break through.

I've seen complaints about the game's dice quality?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pedro Pereira
United Kingdom
Belfast
flag msg tools
See the person next to you? Kill! Kill!!! KILLL!!!!
badge
I'm your baby! Can you feel it?
mbmbmbmbmb
- Don't buy this if you hope to be playing as Conan, Conan is a Non-Playable-Character, you decide where he moves to, but you don't play as him.
- Don't play this if you expect a military warfare risk-esque game. This is mostly an area control game. Some conflict will happen but that's not what drives this game.

these would be my main two points regarding what I think some people might expect from this game and won't find in them.

Hope this helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel Buckle
United Kingdom
Thornton Heath
Croydon
flag msg tools
designer
Omega Centauri
badge
Published in 2014
mbmbmbmbmb
The expansion Age of Conan: The Strategy Board Game – Adventures in Hyboria gives Conan more flavour - it improves the game in my opinion (only drawback is you can't fit the expansion into the base game without tossing the insert).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Renaud Verlaque
United States
Shelter Island Heights
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Actually you can, just put the Kingdom cards vertically by the miniatures. It is enough to slim down the stack of remaining cards so that it fits in the card compartment (ah, and you do have to store the replaced adventure cards under the insert).

To me the main "gaming" issue is how long it can take to subject a neutral country. Unless you use Forced March (and lose units in the process) it will take 2-4 turns while it only takes one turn to fight an enemy army.

I also have conceptual issues with (a) the artifacts potentially changing hands at the end of each age based on the number and type of adventure tokens accumulated and more so (b) home kingdoms being immune to conquest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.