10 Posts

Shadows of Brimstone: City of the Ancients» Forums » General

Subject: Stock scenarios and progression rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
YesMyNameIs Smith
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm looking at buying this game, and am curious about how the stock scenarios handle player progression. I thought I read you could play them in any order, which brings me to my question... How does the game go about scaling the difficulty of the scenario to the level of the party if they can be played in any order?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Llewellyn
United Kingdom
Telford
Shropshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The game generally scales in difficulty by scaling of the enemy's with the parties level. Some of the missions give you a choice in difficulty level, for instance 'A Few Darkstone More' give you the option of finding 2, 3 or 4 clues before finding your goal.

Quite a few people think that the game becomes too easy at higher levels but I have not got to a high enough level as yet for this to have happened. This game has so many variables that you can house rule the game in many ways to be easier/more challenging as you see fit...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
YesMyNameIs Smith
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool, thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The larger the group, the higher level the Threat card is drawn (green, yellow, red). The higher level the group, the tougher the monsters are, either in additional Elite abilities, or outright tougher "red" versions of the monsters, or both. So far, the scaling has worked for our games, we tend to play with 5 heroes and are now level 3.

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Davis - Personal
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also of note - odd number of players = harder, even number of players = easier.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Edmonds
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Do you need more card ideas for the D&D Adventure System games?
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, it's really hard to go with 1 or 2 heroes, largely because of difficulty body-blocking corridors and spreading out monster attacks over heroes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The scenarios themselves can be played in any order; they are not "level" specific. Normally you would just pick a scenario, or roll for a random one. A few scenarios have specific monsters; these might scale a bit based on level, or might be not-totally balanced, but nothing should be too far off.

While you meet the same enemies at all levels, they start getting power-ups as well. First you meet 'Elite' enemies, which each gain a random ability (from a D6 table on the card).

So at level 1 you meet "basic" Void Spiders; at level 3 you meet "Elite" void spiders; their special ability might give them tougher shells (more armor), or let them drop from the ceiling and ambush the party.

At level 5 (IIRC...could be 4) you flip all of the enemy cards to the "Brutal" side that gives them a big power-up. And then you start meeting "Elite-Brutal" enemies.

Quote:
Also, it's really hard to go with 1 or 2 heroes, largely because of difficulty body-blocking corridors and spreading out monster attacks over heroes.

The big problem we hit with 2 heroes was that one bad set of rolls could kill you really fast. We didn't find it a lot of fun to get creamed by a single dose of bad luck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As a side note, due to all the missions in various expansions and our inability to "just pick" a mission, we made Mission Cards of everything and after a town visit, we randomly draw 3 cards as the only available missions in the region and pick from that. It keeps things moving nicely, with still /some/ control on our side.

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Keetlaer
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shnar wrote:
(...) we randomly draw 3 cards as the only available missions in the region and pick from that. It keeps things moving nicely, with still /some/ control on our side.

-shnar

Thanks for the tip!
I will try that out when I have my Mission Cards (I'm still working on them).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyrone ..................
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shnar wrote:
As a side note, due to all the missions in various expansions and our inability to "just pick" a mission, we made Mission Cards of everything and after a town visit, we randomly draw 3 cards as the only available missions in the region and pick from that. It keeps things moving nicely, with still /some/ control on our side.

-shnar

That is pretty cool.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.