Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lee Benson
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been looking for a co-op game to play with my girlfriend. We both love the Alien series and enjoy deckbuilders so this seems right up our alley. I have a few questions before I buy however.

• It looks like the two-player game works well. Do you have any experience with it at that count and what is it like?
• It sounds like the surprise of certain events is a big part of the game's enjoyment. Is that spoiled if you've played before? (I've seen all the films multiple times so I know all the plot lines well.)
• I definitely want to sleeve to make everything easier to shuffle. I also don't want to invest a lot of money into sleeves for a game I've never played before. I'd like to sleeve enough to try out the game before I sleeve everything. How many cards do I need to do the first scenario?

Thanks in advance for your help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iain
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Zepheus wrote:
It looks like the two-player game works well. Do you have any experience with it at that count and what is it like?

I play it solo but play 'two handed' - the game has quite a few 'coordinate' actions between two characters and it works great. In terms of difficulty from what I have read it seems to get harder with more players. Two seems good, if not slightly easy, I've only lost 2/7 games so far but had a few very lucky breaks.

Zepheus wrote:
It sounds like the surprise of certain events is a big part of the game's enjoyment. Is that spoiled if you've played before? (I've seen all the films multiple times so I know all the plot lines well.)

It is a great thing the first time you play each movie (don't read ahead on the cards!) but thats just one aspect. When you know it you can plan more and tweak your deck more to suit the movie. I played Alien 6 times before I even thought about moving on, and I would say i've only really scratched the surface of it. At that rate, that is 24 plays just to get the feeling for each vanilla movie. Then you have replays and mixing it up if you get bored.

Zepheus wrote:
I definitely want to sleeve to make everything easier to shuffle. I also don't want to invest a lot of money into sleeves for a game I've never played before. I'd like to sleeve enough to try out the game before I sleeve everything. How many cards do I need to do the first scenario?

I don't sleeve, but you would need to sleeve Approximately:
33 hive cards (movie 1)
24 starting cards (12 each player)
2 avatar specific starting cards
56 barracks cards (movie 1 characters)
probably 6 hatchery cards *edit: corrected from hive*
6 drone cards
10 sergeant cards
40 strike cards - these are shuffled once at the start but aren't added to any deck to reshuffle - you could just do a subset for your first game or so

You wouldn't need to sleeve anything from the other movies; the avatars; the 'objective cards'; or the location card as these aren't shuffled at all, just displayed on the table.

Total approx 170-180 cards - maybe 150 if you didn't do all the strike cards.

Hope that helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Benson
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gribbon wrote:
I played Alien 6 times before I even thought about moving on, and I would say i've only really scratched the surface of it. At that rate, that is 24 plays just to get the feeling for each vanilla movie. Then you have replays and mixing it up if you get bored.

This is exactly what I was hoping; that the first time you play a scenario, it offers some surprises but that gameplay and variability keeps you coming back.

Gribbon wrote:
Total approx 170-180 cards - maybe 150 if you didn't do all the strike cards.

Hope that helps.

That helps a lot! It's exactly the information I was looking for!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reid
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
My wife and I play this game and we both really enjoy it. I love the Alien films and she's... seen them. Seriously, it's a blast and from your info it sounds like you guys will enjoy it too. Good luck!

Great avatar by the way. Gave me a chuckle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Benson
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
burningecho wrote:
My wife and I play this game and we both really enjoy it. I love the Alien films and she's... seen them. Seriously, it's a blast and from your info it sounds like you guys will enjoy it too. Good luck!

Great avatar by the way. Gave me a chuckle.

Thanks for the great input! And thanks for the comment on my avatar; you're the first to say anything about it! This scene always makes me laugh and we quote it pretty often around the gaming table.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin S
United Kingdom
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would recommend sleeving as it helps to break up the various decks. I have sleeved Strike (red), Alien (black), Hive and Objectives (green) and Secret Agendas (blue). By sleeving the rest with transparent sleeves you can add the various Facehuggers to all necessary decks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Radomir B.
Slovakia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Achtung_Panzer10 wrote:
I would recommend sleeving as it helps to break up the various decks. I have sleeved Strike (red), Alien (black), Hive and Objectives (green) and Secret Agendas (blue). By sleeving the rest with transparent sleeves you can add the various Facehuggers to all necessary decks.

It surely looks nice to have cards sorted out by their sleeve backs, but since some Hive cards can added to your deck (allied characters or a Hazard in the Resurrection scenario), you must change their sleeves whenever you add them to your deck, and resleeve back after a game session? Isn't it too big nuisance if you play many games in a row?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin S
United Kingdom
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not really. I scanned and printed the relevant cards then sleeved them using some of the spare section dividers which have the correct back facing. So perhaps 3 Facehuggers needed to be added to the Hive deck and sleeved as described.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin
United Kingdom
HITCHIN
HERTS
flag msg tools
mbmb
Martin, that is a smart idea!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Benson
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks everybody for the input! I ended up buying the game and picking up 250 Ultra-Pro clear sleeves so that I had enough to do the first scenario. I liked the idea of doing different colors for different decks because the game is a bit of bear to sort afterwards, but I also wanted something sleeves I could end up repurposing if I didn't like the game.

I played with my girlfriend and we had a good time. I put on the Alien soundtrack to set the right mood. Gameplay was simple to understand. To be honest, it's a lot like Star Realms or Ascension. We've both played Star Realms before so it was easy to explain. We just had to look stuff up as it happened to figure out what to do. I'm looking forward to trying it again. My girlfriend died (in the game) and I soldiered on to defeat the perfect organism. Despite her death, it wasn't too hard, so I'm looking forward to upping the difficulty level.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hedyn Brand
Norway
Oslo
Lethargy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad you enjoy it - now try the same scenario again and see if you do better or worse

I've played a few times two-handed solo, and survived. But Monday I played with one other player (who plays far too much Dominion, so he should be prepared), and for the first time I saw the end of the strike deck. We died brutally to a crowded, double-striking combat zone. Oh, and a streak of unhealable wounds of course.

We had no trouble disposing of the facehuggers which seemed to appear every other turn, though. Squashed 'em like bugs. Success is definitely not guaranteed
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Benson
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gnurf wrote:
Glad you enjoy it - now try the same scenario again and see if you do better or worse

I've played a few times two-handed solo, and survived. But Monday I played with one other player (who plays far too much Dominion, so he should be prepared), and for the first time I saw the end of the strike deck. We died brutally to a crowded, double-striking combat zone. Oh, and a streak of unhealable wounds of course.

We had no trouble disposing of the facehuggers which seemed to appear every other turn, though. Squashed 'em like bugs. Success is definitely not guaranteed

I played last night. First, I tried playing as two different avatars/decks and found that I didn't like it too much, so I started over with just one. That was much more fun. I took out some of the drone cards and the game was definitely more challenging. I still won pretty handily but there were some hairy moments. I want to make it really hard and feel the futility of trying to battle the constant onslaught of xenomorphs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brice affejee
Réunion
msg tools
Hi, i love this game and i have probably played 60+ games in solo mode with only one avatar most of the time.
If you want more difficulty:
- do not play with drone cards,
- Start the game with 5 cards in the complex
- Remove some 0 strike cards and healthable 1 strike cards (because Hey can you really be attacked by those xenomorphes without being badly injured? Seriously ??
- Had to the strikes deck 2 facehuggers, a 5 strikes card (i guess one per player), and 2 blank cards.
Those blank cards go to your discard pile when you draw them. Then each time you draw à blank card you discard it to your discard pile, Then draw a strike card, and draw a New card from your deck to replace it.
Try it, enjoy and let me know
Bryce
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.