Subject: Alliance Ranger Love? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tyler Q
Canada
BC
flag msg tools
mb
Curious to know what people think of the Alliance Ranger with the new preview out.

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2016/10/28/one-sh...

Seems like maybe they're trying to make a rebel version of the HK? 12 cost for the elites!? I guess 3 figures with 7 health apiece with long range is pretty good, but 12 points good!?

I would argue the elite HK is better, since at long range I can see line of sight being an issue and the built in Priority Target would help tons. Also, get them focused and you have 2 blues, a yellow, and a green attack die vs the piddly 2 blues of the Ranger.

Am I missing something?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas with Subtrendy
msg tools
mbmbmb
Yeah, I'd say HK is still better, but it's cool to see these sniper regular units coming out.

Looks like Empire still needs one, and many people are assuming Endor is next summer's small box. Hmmmmm... I wonder what they'll pick for an Imp sniper...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Nichols
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
I think alliance rangers and HKs are both groups where the regulars are better value than the elites. One huge advantage rRangers have over rHKs is access to Reinforcements and Grenadier.

Comparing them further we have rangers 9 points, HKs 8, but rangers have overall 15 health and HKs have 10. HKs have one extra die, but it's a yellow for figures with mediocre surge abilities. Rangers won't roll as many surges, but the ones they do are more useful.

To put it in perspective, an HK rolling 2 surges will usually apply +1d, 1 pierce. A ranger with 1 surge will apply +2d.

Add to that the fact that they can pick off weak troops to apply hidden, and they have an extra figure. Where HKs shine is they can reroll defence die and attack die, while rangers can only reroll the attack die, and that's only from range 5+.

So it's a close thing, but I think the extra figure and better surge is worth one extra point.

Final note

Quote:
Also, get them focused and you have 2 blues, a yellow, and a green attack die vs the piddly 2 blues of the Ranger

It's not a fair comparison to compare a focused HK against an unfocused Ranger when neither have an auto-focus. When comparing dice it's simple. HKs have an extra yellow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Q
Canada
BC
flag msg tools
mb
AndyNichols wrote:
I think alliance rangers and HKs are both groups where the regulars are better value than the elites. One huge advantage rRangers have over rHKs is access to Reinforcements and Grenadier.

Comparing them further we have rangers 9 points, HKs 8, but rangers have overall 15 health and HKs have 10. HKs have one extra die, but it's a yellow for figures with mediocre surge abilities. Rangers won't roll as many surges, but the ones they do are more useful.

To put it in perspective, an HK rolling 2 surges will usually apply +1d, 1 pierce. A ranger with 1 surge will apply +2d.

Add to that the fact that they can pick off weak troops to apply hidden, and they have an extra figure. Where HKs shine is they can reroll defence die and attack die, while rangers can only reroll the attack die, and that's only from range 5+.

So it's a close thing, but I think the extra figure and better surge is worth one extra point.

Final note

Quote:
Also, get them focused and you have 2 blues, a yellow, and a green attack die vs the piddly 2 blues of the Ranger

It's not a fair comparison to compare a focused HK against an unfocused Ranger when neither have an auto-focus. When comparing dice it's simple. HKs have an extra yellow.

Well said on all points.

I was missing something afterall! The 3 figures for the Rangers vs the 2 for the HKs is, I suppose, the biggest difference.

I don't have the Bespin expansion...yet, so hidden isn't a factor for me and I don't play competitively, so I can't really speak to that. Is obviously a good thing for weaker units.

Also, the command card the Rangers come with, call the vanguard I think, essentially makes them a 4 unit beast for 1 activation, so a big bonus there.

They do look fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas with Subtrendy
msg tools
mbmbmb
quigman wrote:

Also, the command card the Rangers come with, call the vanguard I think, essentially makes them a 4 unit beast for 1 activation, so a big bonus there.

I'm not well versed in Skirmish, but are you referring to Call the Vanguard?

If so, it says that a friendly Trooper with cost of 4 or great may interrupt to perform a move and an attack. Now, I don't really know well how command cards work- does that mean a single trooper mini, or all troopers in a single squad?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next total solar eclipse holiday in 2017 in the USA.
mbmbmbmbmb
A friendly trooper = a figure in your army on the map with the Trooper trait.

So, one figure with the trooper trait and figure cost of 4 or more can perform a move and an attack (in either order by a ruling on a different card) if you play Call the Vanguard at the start of the round.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Q
Canada
BC
flag msg tools
mb
Oh man, if that applied to the group we'd have our first 4 point command card!

Here, have a free activation with no penalty!

Limited to the elites too...interesting things brewing!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
quigman wrote:

Not technically. If someone would play E-Web Engineers, Call the Vanguard would apply to the regular version.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Q
Canada
BC
flag msg tools
mb
a1bert wrote:
quigman wrote:

Not technically. If someone would play E-Web Engineers, Call the Vanguard would apply to the regular version.

Now would that negate their can't move and attack hindrance?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nolan Cluff

California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Restriction during activation don't apply to actions taken outside activation. So, the E-Web could move and shoot with CtV.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
quigman wrote:
Now would that negate their can't move and attack hindrance?

Tripod applies only during the E-Web's activation. It doesn't apply during Order or Executive Order and doesn't apply for Call the Vanguard.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Because of the extra die rHKs do more damage, not considering the re-roll abilities the damage table against a black die is:

rHK
97% - 1 damage
86% - 2 damage
62% - 3 damage
31% - 4 damage
9% - 5 damage
1% - 6 damage

rRangers
88% - 1 damage
64% - 2 damage
31% - 3 damage
7% - 4 damage

And since the HKs can always re-roll an attack die and the defense die, talking only from a damage point of view the HKs easily win the comparison.

The Rangers have the Trooper Trait which is currently far better than the Droid Trait, have one more figure and more health in total. I am looking forward to try them out but i am bit worried that there damage is too lacking - of course once you get them hidden there damage greatly improves.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Stiles
United States
Brandon
Florida
flag msg tools
mb
Kelteel wrote:
And since the HKs can always re-roll an attack die and the defense die, talking only from a damage point of view the HKs easily win the comparison.

Not sure you factored everything in-- the Rangers get 3 attacks, the HK's get 2. In addition, and this is the variable, Rangers will do better at a range of 6+. That being said, I think they will be a very niche squad.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.