Subject: Doubts about this game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Khian Foo
United States
Minot
North Dakota
flag msg tools
I'm a huge fan of kickstarter because there are so many exclusives. But for this game I have a few questions:

1. How good is this game? The original mythic battles doesn't have very good review. I wonder why (obviously we cant judge the game based on reviews/BGG rank, but it's a good guideline).

2. The quality of the miniature. From the images on KS, it doesn't look that great and miniature often look slightly worse than picture.

3. Complexity of the game. Despite the AWESOME theme, how good is the game itself? I pledged The Others: 7 sins. They had great miniature as always (Coolminiornot produced good minis)but if the game is too hard to teach or learn. Most of my friends are not interested.

4. Service. I read reviews about the delay. But do they response to comments and updates the backers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Y.
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can only speak about how good the game is, based on a lot of plays of the original and reading/watching videos of the new one.

Allow me to say that the original is, bar none, my favorite 'minis' game. I love the activation system, i love the dice mechanic and i love the meaningful decisions that are made.

Specifically: the activation system gives you some control but hardly complete control over who can activate. You know from your hand of cards who can activate, but your opponent does not. So some rounds, the units you activate may not be the "most perfect" and that's okay. I'm certain that in war, things never go quite as planned.

The meaningful decisions come from the use of Art of War (AoW) cards. Maybe the cards you have in hand aren't great. Maybe you really want to activate your hydra. An AoW card allows you to fish through your deck to pull that hydra card and use it. But that same AoW card could also allow you to activate a second unit this round instead. So which is the best course of action becomes the critical decision that you need to make. Note: AoW cards can do more than i listed, which can make that decision harder.

Luck: the dice system is one that, imo, promotes success. Your weaker units wont always been able to inflict lots of damage to powerful units (nor should they) but they can often inflict at least a little damage. As such, in the original game, i found no useless units. They all had value, even the weakest unit in the game.

So the original was an amazing game. This is set to be even better as they cut some of the chaff out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H-H Boudje

Homecourt
Lorraine
msg tools
mb
1) it seems to be a reboot of the game, not the same game.

2) I think most of the figurines are already casted, so you can judge them for real, not with an artwork like in many other kickstarter. If they are grat or not...at least you can have an honest/unpainted/picture of the real mini.
I think they are ok for a boardgame, I read somewhere that they will improved some of the figs in the realsed version, I sincerely don't care (and even don't look at most of the figs since a glimpse tell me that they will do the job for me)
It's a matter of taste, and you can make your own opinion.

3) I think the game is really easy (a blizzard game: easy to learn, hard to master?), so that will not be a concern at all.

4)In my mail I got a project update 175 for Conan.
I contact them with mail 3 times the last year, I got an answer in 24/48h each times.
I don't know if they answer the comment in the KS section since I did not read them, but for me, the service is OK.

If I can help...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Itai Perez
France
Paris
Ile-de-France
flag msg tools
designer
Soon in retail !
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I never played the old version so I can't speak about it, but I did play the prototype of this one. I really wasn't expect much as confrontation games aren't really my thing. I was expecting some complex skirmish game, and was really surprised to find it extremely pleasant.
The rules are really simple and elegant and work really well. There is some randomness (card drawing and dice) but there are also ways to mitigate it. And the different powers and abilities make lots of different strategies possible. That's only my opinion of course, but here it is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Clapperton
United Kingdom
Hebburn
Tyne & Wear
flag msg tools
mbmb
1. I've never played the original and had never heard of it until I played MB: Pantheon, so can't comment on it. This game is excellent. A lot of tactical depth, a lot of options, easy to pick up and play. I've only played the standard skirmish games but apparently scenarios and campaigns will be available too.

2.It depends on what you're comparing them against. They're PVC plastic so there's a limit to how crisp the detail can be. They don't stand the comparison with hand-poured resin, for example, but for PVC they're very good. They also use hard plastic for things like the spears so you don't get the warping you get with PVC. I am a miniature gamer and I would happily use these in minis games.

3. It's a simple game to pick up and play, certainly in comparison to miniatures games. The dice mechanic takes a little explaining but once you've done it once or twice it becomes second nature to use. You draft a force from the available units, that forms a deck consisting of activation cards for each unit and Art of War cards that can be spent to activate abilities, activate a second unit, or manipulate your deck. Then the game just alternates back and forth between the players. You activate a unit by spending its acitvation card, you can move and attack with it or move and pick up an omphalos (which is an objective on the board), or you can run. You win by killing your opponent's god, or by having your god absorb four of of the seven omphalos on the board.

4. They've got someone working full-time on the comments section on the KS right now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thaddeus MacTaggart
Netherlands
Amsterdam
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
khian wrote:
1. How good is this game? The original mythic battles doesn't have very good review. I wonder why (obviously we cant judge the game based on reviews/BGG rank, but it's a good guideline)
A tricky one. I backed Mare Nostrum: Empires, also a remake of an older game. The ratings got a lot higher due to a prettier game and adjuisted, better balanced and streamlined gameplay. I forsee the same for this game.

Quote:
2. The quality of the miniature. From the images on KS, it doesn't look that great and miniature often look slightly worse than picture.

Personally I have no quality issues with most of the minis. Although I am not a fan of Jason's pose.

Quote:
3. Complexity of the game. Despite the AWESOME theme, how good is the game itself? I pledged The Others: 7 sins. They had great miniature as always (Coolminiornot produced good minis)but if the game is too hard to teach or learn. Most of my friends are not interested.

To be honest it's also one of my concerns. The learning curve is pretty steep and in particular people will find the dice mechanism hard to master. Not something that will attract casual gamers or something that people will understand well 1st time around.
Next to that it will take a few games to see the interaction of different combos. Veterans will have quite an advantage over new players, I forsee.

Quote:
4. Service. I read reviews about the delay. But do they response to comments and updates the backers.

Not a thing i worry about. Firstly almost all KS deliver in due time. After 50+ pledges I have no high expectations.
Having said that, I think they have learnt from their 1st KS. A lot of work is already done so we should be ok.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maloney
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." -Jack Handey
mbmbmbmbmb
khian wrote:
1. How good is this game? The original mythic battles doesn't have very good review. I wonder why (obviously we cant judge the game based on reviews/BGG rank, but it's a good guideline).

The average rating of the original is actually quite good. The rank is artificially low because there are not very many rating votes. This means the game was not exposed to very many people. Its average rating would likely put it into the 300-500 range of rankings if it had more people having rated it.

Quote:

This is subjective so you have to go with your own opinion. There are three sculpts I don't personally like (Heracles, Atalanta, Jason) but that's quite a good ratio given how many minis there are.

Quote:

If your group considered The Others to be too complex, it sounds like you have a group with light tastes overall as that game isn't highly difficult to learn. If you have a light group, this may or may not work for them. Basically, if you think they will especially like the theme/style (gods battling in a map) then they may get into it. But the risk here sounds like a weight issue, which no one can solve for you. For people I paly with, this game (and The Others) are very light and easy to learn.

Quote:

Again this is subjective. I don't really care if Kickstarter projects are late, as long as I get what I paid for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Sinodinos
Canada
Laval
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sarimrune wrote:
I can only speak about how good the game is, based on a lot of plays of the original and reading/watching videos of the new one.

Allow me to say that the original is, bar none, my favorite 'minis' game. I love the activation system, i love the dice mechanic and i love the meaningful decisions that are made.

Specifically: the activation system gives you some control but hardly complete control over who can activate. You know from your hand of cards who can activate, but your opponent does not. So some rounds, the units you activate may not be the "most perfect" and that's okay. I'm certain that in war, things never go quite as planned.

The meaningful decisions come from the use of Art of War (AoW) cards. Maybe the cards you have in hand aren't great. Maybe you really want to activate your hydra. An AoW card allows you to fish through your deck to pull that hydra card and use it. But that same AoW card could also allow you to activate a second unit this round instead. So which is the best course of action becomes the critical decision that you need to make. Note: AoW cards can do more than i listed, which can make that decision harder.

Luck: the dice system is one that, imo, promotes success. Your weaker units wont always been able to inflict lots of damage to powerful units (nor should they) but they can often inflict at least a little damage. As such, in the original game, i found no useless units. They all had value, even the weakest unit in the game.

So the original was an amazing game. This is set to be even better as they cut some of the chaff out.

With over 40+ plays of the original; I agree with everything Trent said above
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Jansson
Sweden
Trollhättan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played a lot of Warhammer and Warhammer 40K so I'm very comfortable with skirmish games. I moved on from those games to purely boardgames a few years ago but have slowly been collecting more and more miniature games.

Me and my brother accidentally found this game when checking out the Conan (Monolith) booth at Essen earlier this year and loved it from the start! It's way easier to learn than any tabletop minis game but with a lot of depth in the the monsters and gods. How the dice are used with "exploding dice" is pure genius and gives every attack an extra level of tactical consideration.

This was a nobrainer kickstarter for both of us after just one demo game and an extensive talk with Jake Thornton, one of their front men.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roland B.
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Others is super easy to learn. Challenging perhaps but certainly not complicated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sarimrune wrote:

Is that all that there is on meaningful decisions in the game? I am currently thinking of dropping my pledge as the game seems too light for my taste and while i very much love the theme, i own better skirmish games - judging from the beasts of war video:

- The unit abilities seem to be mostly boring (+1 die if x) and also not very balanced.
- I never played the original but one change i am worried about is the change in the boards. With the conan style the boards seem smaller in terms of "hexes" and thus making the battle field smaller. So positioning and planing ahead matters less.
- Dice System - while certainly an interessting system the variance in the rolls is extremely large
- The activation system: Every game i ever played with similiar systems felt like the game was playing me instead of the other way around.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Jansson
Sweden
Trollhättan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kelteel wrote:
Sarimrune wrote:

Is that all that there is on meaningful decisions in the game? I am currently thinking of dropping my pledge as the game seems too light for my taste and while i very much love the theme, i own better skirmish games - judging from the beasts of war video:

- The unit abilities seem to be mostly boring (+1 die if x) and also not very balanced.
- I never played the original but one change i am worried about is the change in the boards. With the conan style the boards seem smaller in terms of "hexes" and thus making the battle field smaller. So positioning and planing ahead matters less.
- Dice System - while certainly an interessting system the variance in the rolls is extremely large
- The activation system: Every game i ever played with similiar systems felt like the game was playing me instead of the other way around.

You should take a look at Old School Tactical, it will have a reprint kickstarter 10 Nov. I think it might do mor in for your tactical needs. No minis though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want a quick overview of the rules, i wrote this post that sums them up in separate sections.

That's help you get a feel of the game.
But to emphasize that, it really is a "easy to learn, hard(er) to master" one. The rules are really, really simple (the dice are the trickiest part, and after a throw, you'll really master that part)
However, the number of available options, talents, powers make the first game a little bit frustrating because there's a lot to consider and you'll quickly realize "oooh, i could have done this or that or...."

The thing is, this frustration leads to : "Dude, let's play another one". the game isn't long (an hour, maybe an hour and a half on your first game (explanations included)) so it's pretty easy to actually get back at it.

And with the draft system, it's a whole new game (if you decide to change your line-up)

As i said elsewhere, i'm not a confrontational games fan. But this one... this one.... boy did it hook me!

anyway, the link is here :

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1662168/mbp-rules-overview
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thaddeus MacTaggart
Netherlands
Amsterdam
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
3. The game seems pretty solid to me.

As far as I've seen, the only thing that will really require some getting used to is that your units aren't active - unless you have an activation card. If you play a unit a few times early on (either because you just drew its cards or you searched for them), you will run out of activations and that unit will basically stand there, parked until the next shuffle.

Another thing (that inevitably is going to happen) is that some units will be better than others and some units won't be used at all. I've seen this in M:tG, in Guild Wars 1 skills and also in Blood Rage. I have no illusion that MB: P will be different.
Not sure if Monolith is going to try and find some options for this; for instance heros that give bonusses to an X type of troops (undead, human, animal) so you could make a theme "deck" in which the "weaker" units are also viable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is not a super complex game, but it does look deep enough to me.

It certainly has a lot more meaningful decisions, than just how to use your Art of War cards, even though those play a pretty big role in the decision-making.

Drafting your army is full of meaningful decisions, already, and every unit has special abilities, which you have to keep in mind. Then you have two very different goals (kill or absorb), which you can follow. Absorbing Omphalos also gives you a card, which can be used as an Art of War card or to heal, so that is one more thing to keep in mind... And that is just skirmish.

Bye
Thanee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Khian Foo
United States
Minot
North Dakota
flag msg tools
I played the Others a couple times. I like the theme of it and the gameplay, but the set up is abit too complicated. This game kinda fix the complexity of set up. One board for each scenario . Awesome!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff ...
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
khian wrote:
I played the Others a couple times. I like the theme of it and the gameplay, but the set up is abit too complicated. This game kinda fix the complexity of set up. One board for each scenario . Awesome!

Completely different games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Weird. I got an impression from the reviews that this was a good game. Two (?) of the BGG reviews said they wished the game had miniatures...!

2. I have the Conan miniatures by Monolith. The dark grey ones are on par with CMON. IIRC, Monolish will use dark grey for the MB mini's.

This is also a convenient way to pick up Greek miniatures for miniature and RPG gaming, although I'm not sure you'd have enough miniatures for historical ancient greek wargaming. It's also inexpensive for Greek miniatures, which I've mostly seen in metal. Jake Thorton, the community manager, has an archaeology degree and is a game designer, who designed the Greek-themed Tribes of Legend.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.