Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Marchbanks
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hey Everyone,

So I'm a massive fan of this game, I always have been. I think part of it is that it's a really great game and another part is that it was the first legitimate tabletop game that I bought and played quite a bit due to its really solid solo variant. So this means that I sit around and think about what could potentially expand the game (Ignacy has already been doing a pretty great job at that) and factions I think would be cool. I think a great faction to include would be the Chinese. Now I know that people have probably already suggested the Chinese but I think it should be a serious consideration because of how much the Chinese culture and innovation influenced the rest of the globe. They were especially adept at medicine and farming and I think that the farming specialty could be introduced as a fun new mechanic.

You could have faction cards that were exclusive to the Chinese deck that could be "worked" for resources and victory points. You would have to place a worker on the card and leave it there to work the land. The card could be something like:

Irrigated Farm

Production - 1 Food and 1 VP (Requires Worker)

Building Bonus - 1 Victory Point

So you could essentially have cards that could be "worked" to get resources and victory points or draw cards and get victory points but there would be a cap on how many victory points could be generated by "worked" cards to maintain a balance. Another balance to the workable cards would be that if they were not worked they wouldn't produce anything.

You could also introduce a wonder that could be built by each faction to give each faction a special ability. Like the Chinese could build the great wall and it would be placed below your faction board once built and would make it so that all common buildings required 1 more raze token for the Chinese faction. Each wonder could have a special ability that could be activated by placing more resources or workers there. Like the Great Wall could generate VP's at the end of the game if you manned it with workers (defenders).

The Romans could build the Pantheon, and you could put food on the card as an offering to the Gods.

The Egyptians could build the Pyramid at Giza or the Alexandrian Lighthouse.

The Barbarians could build Karakorum the Mongol capital city.

The Japanese could build The Golden Pavilion.

The Aztecs could build build the Templo Mayor.

The Atlanteans wonder would need to be made up but maybe some sort of Island Palace?

Just some thoughts on a couple of things that I think might make for cool additions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Rickett
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it is a neat idea and see it as a variation of the Atlantean technology tokens. Another way to view these is that you are "investing" in these locations to make them better for you in the long run. Again, good idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Konrad Borowiecki
United Kingdom
Cardiff
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am impressed. Quite slid idea Paul.
I particularly like the wonders, as the 'working' looks a lot like the Atlanteans use of technology tokens.

Since wonders have a significant (game changing) effect on the game I would say that building them would be just the beginning. I think along the lines you mention that there has be an upkeep cost to them (like manning the walls) or extra activation cost once they are built.

This would also work as a warning to other players giving them a little time to adjust to what is coming. Plus after all no wonder was built in a day so it would be extra thematic which, I trust, Ignacy is all about.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Marchbanks
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
KBoro wrote:
I am impressed. Quite slid idea Paul.
I particularly like the wonders, as the 'working' looks a lot like the Atlanteans use of technology tokens.

Since wonders have a significant (game changing) effect on the game I would say that building them would be just the beginning. I think along the lines you mention that there has be an upkeep cost to them (like manning the walls) or extra activation cost once they are built.

This would also work as a warning to other players giving them a little time to adjust to what is coming. Plus after all no wonder was built in a day so it would be extra thematic which, I trust, Ignacy is all about.

Ah yes the technology is more like what I'm suggesting. Oh well, looks like the professional already thought of the good idea
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reuben
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like to see races from other regions, including Africa and northern countries (Canada/Greenland/Scandinavia). Having a Kenyan and Inuit race would be cool!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Marchbanks
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
hypostatic wrote:
I'd like to see races from other regions, including Africa and northern countries (Canada/Greenland/Scandinavia). Having a Kenyan and Inuit race would be cool!

Yeah I think if you could make them work mechanically Vikings would be very cool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fredericus Rex
Germany
Bamberg
Bayern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really would like to have a slav race. Polish or Russian.

Vikings would be cool but maybe to close to Barbarians.

Chinese would be a "classic" choice. Maybe if there would be another asian race a littles less prominent one would be good: Koreans, Mongols, Tibetans.

Indians, Persians, Greeks would be another options.

As from the OP: I really like the wonder idea!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zaphikiel wrote:
I really would like to have a slav race. Polish or Russian.

Imperial Settlers - Polanie
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.