Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ian Allen
United States
Madison
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why is the format/art different on these hero cards from the base game and all the other expansions.

It looks ridiculous to have this style of art and all the other characters have a different style.

Did they come out with a newer version of the base game and Hero packs 1-3 and update the art and I missed it or is this just some dumb marketing decision?

I don't get it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Redford
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
glookose wrote:
Why is the format/art different on these hero cards from the base game and all the other expansions.

It looks ridiculous to have this style of art and all the other characters have a different style.

Did they come out with a newer version of the base game and Hero packs 1-3 and update the art and I missed it or is this just some dumb marketing decision?

I don't get it.

They updated the art in the reprint of the Dragon Expansion, and used this style for Hero Packs #4 and #5. There is a lot of speculation that the base game will get reprinted using the updated style as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Edmonds
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Do you need more card ideas for the D&D Adventure System games?
mbmbmbmbmb
There was a Kickstarter update about this very issue for the Dragons Expansion. Over the 6 years it's been since DOTR first launched, there was staff turnover and some of the organizational memory about graphic design and artwork choices (like the paladin's size) were forgotten.

This is only speculation based on my business education and experience; but it's likely a juggling act between releasing new content to keep existing fans happy, finding a way to secure shelf space with retailers for a 6 year old game with a known sales record, and trying to deal with any existing unsold inventory. The market for games in 2016 is very different than it was in 2010. Miniatures are much more common and customers expectations for production values are higher. DOTR is an expensive game to make, and skews towards the higher end of Eagle/Gryphon's standard offerings which normally use a lot of wooden components of cube/meeple variety.

The hiring of Ian Dudley and the addition of a fan committee makes me think the artwork issue will be addressed at some point. The types of content being worked on - new minion sculpts to replace the generic pawns for example - would point towards it happening.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Short answer: poor quality assurance and overall curatorship of the entire product family. I'm used to seeing poor QA in boardgames, but this (KS project) was an outstanding example.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.