Level 7 [Escape]» Forums » General

Subject: Looking to possibly add something..... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ron Basler
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
I love this game. I just got the expansion because I noticed stock was getting low so it might go out of print soon. I'm working my way through the main scenario now before digging into the expansion.

My biggest gripe is the event cards make the game feel very robotic. In a game like Betrayal at the House on the Hill, the event cards really do a great job reinforcing the theme. At their core in this game it lists a simple action and a single text quote. That's it. I always felt that it needed a bit more story added to those card to reinforce the theme and story of the campaign. That is what brings me here.

I know there is a files section and I really want to gauge interest here a bit, but I wanted to essentially make new event cards. Separate out the Security, fear and facility cards into three separate decks. I wanted to essentially scan in blank cards and create a template to erase the current text and replace it with something a bit more lore friendly that does a better job playing to that survival horror theme.

In the interest of balance, I would keep the enemy activations and spawns the same, just add a bit more to the lore of the game.

When I played this game with a group it felt like parts of the story were missing so this would be a fun side project for me.

I know it would be no small task, with the expansion there are 54 total event cards. I know many cards repeat and I really don't think anyone has ever depleted the deck, I've probably used a bit more than half in most of my play throughs.

Would this be possibly something people would be interested to see? Maybe when I make the template for blank cards maybe I could post them here and maybe go from there.

I know I would be using assets from the game to make these cards and I really don't want to get into a copyright issue either so I also wanted to ask if creating assets like this is something most companies are okay with.

Thoughts? Advice? Comments?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mario
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I have no advice regarding copyright a so on. Just comment.
I love this game but I have same problem with event cards. Missing some story behind "Attempt 5 Inteligent challenge..."
Still I will play it over and over...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Felix Munoz
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't mind much the cards as they are (there is some theme in their titles). This is mainly a single player game for me. The semi-coop aspect turned off the other players in my group.

Really good tense moments of cooperation until the exit is found and every body has to leave within the next turn... Sigh...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Lewis
United States
Federal Way
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know. I'm not sure how making more fiddly bits increases the theme.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Morro Bay
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Dracoprimus wrote:
I don't know. I'm not sure how making more fiddly bits increases the theme.

Replacing flavorless cards with flavorful cards is "fiddly"? That's how I understand the proposal.

As someone who is better at programming than at graphical design, if I were taking on this project, I would just create a little "event deck" app to replace the physical deck of cards. But cards would be cool.

As for the copyright issues...I'm not a lawyer, but my understanding is that technically you can't use any of the assets without permission. Many (but not all) boardgame companies are enlightened enough to realize that a project like this would enhance sales rather then diminishing them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.