Popular Tags: [View All]
Joe Fatula
United States
Santa Cruz Mts.
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
What's a good symbol to use to represent victory points?

So far all I've been able to think of is a trophy. What do other games use?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Gobe
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
Not the avatar you're looking for
mbmbmbmbmb
A lot of times it depends on the theme and what the victory points are called. I think this is a good place to bring out the theme a little. If that's not important to you though, I think the symbol I've seen the most is probably just a little "vp".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
A laurel icon seems fairly common and appropriate.

E.g. lower left corner of Concordia cards:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
marc lecours
Canada
ottawa
ontario
flag msg tools
mbmb
Possibilities off the top of my head: Stars, laurels, medals, the letters "VP" (but "VP" is not language independent).

Often a golden circle (Olympic medal shaped).
Often a hexagonal shape with a number inside (various colours).

Others will mention other victory point symbols in use.

Either you go with one of the standard symbols to make the rules more intuitive or you go with a new symbol that fits in with your theme.

Examples of victory points that go with the theme:
1. There is a game Astérix et les Romainsthat has counter with roman helmets on them. The helmets are the victory points.

2. In Memoir '44 tokens with military medals are the victory points.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew J.
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I personally find the laurel leaves the best "universal" symbol for VP. Of course, thematically they may not work within your game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josef Estabrooks
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Laurels are a traditional symbol of Nike, the goddess of victory, she is also always depicted as winged, so maybe something based off of wings could work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Davidson
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
A slightly obtuse (thicker) 5-sided star is the simplest most universal symbol for a victory point. Trimmed with laurels on a golden medallion would also help, depending on the game's art direction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Milki Kaplanski
Germany
Hamburg
flag msg tools
I've mostly seen stars used, somtes crowns and the little vp others had mentioned too. Imo stars would be the least theme-restricted symbol, but laurel or crown are more self-explaining, so if those go along with the theme, I'd use one of the two.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mauricio Montoya
Colombia
Medellín
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
aaj94 wrote:
I personally find the laurel leaves the best "universal" symbol for VP. Of course, thematically they may not work within your game.

MacavityandMycroft wrote:
Laurels are a traditional symbol of Nike, the goddess of victory, she is also always depicted as winged, so maybe something based off of wings could work.

Thus they are widely used and work well as VP icons for games based in Rome, Greece and other mediterranean and western european settings (and that covers a lot of Euros). But I have seen many more things used to represent VPs in other games with different settings, there is not a standard icon for that.

Stars, flags, a lot of heraldry symbols (crowns, fleurs-de-lis, eagles, banners), medals and trophies are also widely used in games set in a more modern (post-rennaisance era) and in military games as stated above. For a game with a nordic theme you can use crossed axes or painted shields, unless simlar weapon icons are used for another mechanic (i.e. combat) and may result confusing. Gold coins, idols, feathers, horns or shells may work for games set in a mesoamerican, asian pacific or other tribal settings. Just feature the image prominently at the start or along the score track, and there will be no confusion in regards to what represents victory points in the other components of your game.

Have fun and dare to try something different and thematic, don't just go putting +1VP, that's boring

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.