20 Posts

Inis» Forums » General

Subject: Got the wrong version at Spiel... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Erik H
Netherlands
flag msg tools
So I went to Spiel as every year, and on Thursday the first booth I walked to was that of Matagot. I got there a little before the official opening time and was the first in line to make my purchase.

They were still unboxing the boxes of games when I, after a little wait, asked for a copy of Inis. Paid for it, put it into my big bag at the bottom and continued on my journey.

Last week we wanted to try Inis, when someone asked what the game was about. I said 'wait let me get you the box', I took it out of the cupboard and turned it over. I hadn't even had time to look at it myself. At first my brain was trying to decipher the strange font. I thought 'oh it's like some celtic of gaelic font'... but then it hit me. The gave me the wrong game at Spiel, as I received a French copy instead of an English one...

Now it just sits on my desk, still in the plastic shrink wrap, trying to contact Matagot but no reply yet.

The game is not for sale yet here (The Netherlands) and I have a French copy I can't do anything with.

Lesson of today: always double check anything you buy at Spiel. I have bought over 50 games there, but this is the first time I was sold a wrong copy. It was a bit chaotic at that time, but it left me with a 55 euro paperweight...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julien Grenier
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess you now have a good excuse to learn French. C'est facile
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik H
Netherlands
flag msg tools
Well that's not gonna happen. If the game was not very language dependent than yes maybe but not with this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian
France
Lyon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Ouch, I'm very sorry that you got a wrong copy.

But do not worry, I have no doubt that an official Matagot rep will offer you a solution.

Sorry for that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik H
Netherlands
flag msg tools
I just realised that an easy fix might be swapping out the cards and rules, or is there any text on the boards or other pieces?

The box being in French wouldn't bother me much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Walsh
Ireland
Lucan
Co Dublin
flag msg tools
mb
There is text on some of the boards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik H
Netherlands
flag msg tools
Narf. Guess it's gotta go then. Too bad, for something that was not my fault. Downside of buying games at conventions...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
phusebox wrote:
Narf. Guess it's gotta go then. Too bad, for something that was not my fault. Downside of buying games at conventions...

I hadn't even had time to look at it myself.

Too bad, for something that was not my fault.

What do you mean it's not your fault? Take the responsibility for not knowing what you paid for. It's too bad, but it is your fault.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik H
Netherlands
flag msg tools
Orangemoose wrote:
phusebox wrote:

What do you mean it's not your fault? Take the responsibility for not knowing what you paid for. It's too bad, but it is your fault.

When I buy something I assume I get what I asked for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
phusebox wrote:
Orangemoose wrote:
phusebox wrote:

When I buy something I know I get what I paid for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
matheus cohen
Brazil
flag msg tools
phusebox wrote:
Orangemoose wrote:
phusebox wrote:

Did you asked for a english copy? Even if you were speaking english.

Also, always double check, even if it wasn't really your fault, yoi always have the responsability of checking what you bought.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik H
Netherlands
flag msg tools
tecocohen wrote:
phusebox wrote:
Orangemoose wrote:
phusebox wrote:

Also, always double check, even if it wasn't really your fault, yoi always have the responsability of checking what you bought.

Oh come on that is just searching to point the blame at me. You could also say that the clerk should've asked which language I wanted. On their price list there was no mention of English or French. And the fact that I didn't check before handing over my cash was because it was quite chaotic and a lot of people waiting while they were unpacking boxes.

But hey great for you that you're all perfect and never make mistakes. I perceived it as an honest mistake that wasn't my fault. I never said they intentionally did something wrong.

I heard back from matagot saying it can take months before they caneven resolve the issue... such a shame but hey that's what you get when you're a stupid loser like me, right? Got what I deserved for not checking every detail of everything that I ever buy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
phusebox wrote:
tecocohen wrote:
phusebox wrote:
Orangemoose wrote:
phusebox wrote:

Oh come on that is just searching to point the blame at me. You could also say that the clerk should've asked which language I wanted. On their price list there was no mention of English or French. And the fact that I didn't check before handing over my cash was because it was quite chaotic and a lot of people waiting while they were unpacking boxes.

But hey great for you that you're all perfect and never make mistakes. I perceived it as an honest mistake that wasn't my fault. I never said they intentionally did something wrong.

I heard back from matagot saying it can take months before they caneven resolve the issue... such a shame but hey that's what you get when you're a stupid loser like me, right? Got what I deserved for not checking every detail of everything that I ever buy.

Now you got it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blank Francis
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Er, sorry, what's the point of dumping on this guy because he made an honest mistake? He probably should have checked the box, sure, but the clerk probably should have done that, too, or asked before assuming that the French edition was what he wanted, if that was the case.

No need to be a dick about it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Orangemoose wrote:
phusebox wrote:
tecocohen wrote:
phusebox wrote:
Orangemoose wrote:
phusebox wrote:

Now you got it.

What's wrong with you?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Collier
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
'Being a dick about it' is a full time thing for a lot of people round BGG these days I have noticed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hugo Tremblay
Canada
Chicoutimi
QC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I have a brand new sealed English copy of Inis but I'd rather play in French. If yours is still sealed and the shipping cost are not too steep, maybe we can trade.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik H
Netherlands
flag msg tools
hugotremblay wrote:
I have a brand new sealed English copy of Inis but I'd rather play in French. If yours is still sealed and the shipping cost are not too steep, maybe we can trade.

It is still sealed but shipping is around 35-40 euros to Canada I guess. I will see if I can find cheaper options.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike O'Raw
Scotland
Glasgow
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
phusebox wrote:
So I went to Spiel as every year, and on Thursday the first booth I walked to was that of Matagot. I got there a little before the official opening time and was the first in line to make my purchase.

They were still unboxing the boxes of games when I, after a little wait, asked for a copy of Inis. Paid for it, put it into my big bag at the bottom and continued on my journey.

Last week we wanted to try Inis, when someone asked what the game was about. I said 'wait let me get you the box', I took it out of the cupboard and turned it over. I hadn't even had time to look at it myself. At first my brain was trying to decipher the strange font. I thought 'oh it's like some celtic of gaelic font'... but then it hit me. The gave me the wrong game at Spiel, as I received a French copy instead of an English one...

Now it just sits on my desk, still in the plastic shrink wrap, trying to contact Matagot but no reply yet.

The game is not for sale yet here (The Netherlands) and I have a French copy I can't do anything with.

Lesson of today: always double check anything you buy at Spiel. I have bought over 50 games there, but this is the first time I was sold a wrong copy. It was a bit chaotic at that time, but it left me with a 55 euro paperweight...

I had the exact same thing happen to me (in fact, I think you were the person in front of me in the queue.) Fortunately I noticed on the Friday and Matagot happily swapped it over on the Saturday morning.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik H
Netherlands
flag msg tools
It's a shame Matagot is hard to communicate with. I made a ticket almost two weeks ago and had no reply on that. I had contact through BGG last week but didn't get a response to my last question how they think they will be able to resolve this issue for me.

It's even more painful when you see they made this mistake more than once and not even a simple sorry came from Matagot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.