BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Storing multiple games in one box rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Boris Popov
Bulgaria
flag msg tools
mb
Hi everyone, I am relatively new to the hobby but my gaming collection has been growing at an alarming rate.

Lately I find myself constrained mostly by the limits of my storage space and I am often annoyed by the fact that many of the game boxes are overly large for the components they hold.

Recently I have been compressing my game collection by storing multiple games in one box.

I know that many of us store expansions in the box of the original game, whenever possible, i.e. Turn und Taxis and both expansions, Catan and multiple expansions, Carcassonne and expansions... etc. But I find myself increasingly willing to store two separate games from the same designer in a single box, like The Gardens of the Alhambra and Granada, or Kontor and Mondo Sapiens.

Lately, I have even started mixing games that come from different designers but share a theme, like storing Skyline into the box of Manhattan, especially if one of the games is, in my opinion, not good enough to qualify for its own storage space.

In my quiet desperation I have even turned to storing as many as three games from three different designers in a single box, as long as they share a theme. My latest blasphemy was shoving Basari and Marrakech into the box of Sultaniya.

Surely there are other people who have come to similar solutions of the storage problem - if any of you read this thread, I would like to hear your thought and ideas about combining games.

If you disagree with me, I would like to hear your opinion too.

The original boxes are still kept in the basement, smaller boxes being stored in bigger ones, to conserve space, whenever possible, But at some point, I will probably have to let them go.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Peckham
England
Dorking
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I bought a card case to store multiple games and their manuals in one place, and saved myself about two Kallax cubes of storage space. However, I've not touched any of the games in it since. They seem to have lost their allure, not being in their original boxes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew J.
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For card games, Ultra-Pro makes some really good 3 and 4 compartment plastic cases that can hold a lot. You could use these for your star realms/glory to romes/etc. If you wanted to get snazzy, you could even print out a cover to apply to the inside of the clear plastic, to keep them visible on your shelf.

I also make my own game boxes using chipboard and linen paper -- GeekElite has a really great tutorial up for those. this doesn't necessarily reduce the size of each game, but by making them all a standard square, I can stack them very efficiently and even hide some behind others as I need to.

But yes, the struggle with a small space is very real!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Pick up Mechs vs Minions. That's next-level storage issues.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Blackford
United States
Huber Heights
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While I'm all about saving space, something this hobby surely hates, I believe I would run into the same problem as Matthew. Some of the allure would be lost. The box (and artwork on said box) contribute to the physical nature of the hobby that I enjoy, and some of the magic would be lost if I ditched it.

As for practical matters, I would quickly forget which games I own if I did so. I don't own all that many compared to some in the BGG community, but if I can't see the game, I don't think about the game. And don't forget about possible trades/auctions! If you ditched the boxes in the basement, it would be awfully difficult to get a premium price/trade.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boris Popov
Bulgaria
flag msg tools
mb
I usually pick a game to play using my BGG collection page. Some of my games are already stored behind other games, so picking a game by sight was never the way to go for me. However, I can see how the "out of sight - out of mind" effect could be a problem for some people.

I also agree that the box grants additional appeal to the game, that is why I inflict my collection compacting mostly unto games I already consider to be of inferior quality.

If we move to a bigger place, where I could spread my collection free, I may restore some of them to their former glory, that is why I am still holding on to the boxes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karlyn Singh
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I did this for Carcassonne + Carcassonne Hunters and Gatherers. Most of the time I wouldn't consider it unless the games were part of the same series like that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Blackford
United States
Huber Heights
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
r2d2m2 wrote:
I usually pick a game to play using my BGG collection page. Some of my games are already stored behind other games, so picking a game by sight was never the way to go for me. However, I can see how the "out of sight - out of mind" effect could be a problem for some people.

I STILL have to do this sometimes even if the games are visible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boris Popov
Bulgaria
flag msg tools
mb
Kuolema wrote:
I did this for Carcassonne + Carcassonne Hunters and Gatherers. Most of the time I wouldn't consider it unless the games were part of the same series like that.

Yes, my Carcassonne: The Castle and Carcassonne: Hunters and Gatherers have been sharing a box for a long time. I consider Knizia's desing to be superior, so I put both in its box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emperors Grace
United States
Rexford
New York
flag msg tools
Hello!
badge
Hello!
mbmbmbmbmb
I do this with card games and with microgames.

I just label the new box* with sticker paper covered in images scanned from the covers of their old boxes. Cutting/Refolding the instructions to fit is the hardest part.

(*MTG boxes, 400 count corrugated boxes, boxes left from other games/expansions, etc..)

I do wait until I know two things before doing this:

1) I like the game well enough to never sell it.
2) It does not have expansions for which I need to have the larger box.

Examples:

I have an MTG box with all the "Hack!" decks in it, labeled with a scan of BA's deck.
I have the base game of Dominion in an MTG box (I like the occasional round of the base but long ago decided not enough to buy the numerous expansions).
I have 4 TMG microgames stored in an old Munchkin box with stickers of each one.
I have Wits and Wagers (Party edition) stored in a spare Castellan box and will probably throw another party game in there given the room.
Castellan was doubled up with the other Castellan set (for 4 player fun) and is in a re-stickered "Heroes United" DBG box.
All of my Wings of War is in a relabeled "Scoundrels of Skullport" expansion box.
All of my Munchkin (three different bases and several expansions) is in one "Jammers" box.

I'm also sorely tempted to start making customs via this tutorial:

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1649754/my-custom-box-p...

and

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1579299/diy-graphics-wrappe...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave K
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Love 'em even if a few games get scuttled from time to time.
badge
Meow.
mbmbmbmbmb
I have done this a couple times and regretted it every time I have done it. First, if you decide to sell something, you're now very stuck unless you've kept the original box somewhere (which I'm guessing you did not - and I certainly didn't either). Next, it's easy to forget what is in a box unless you label the larger one.

For me... it just wasn't worth it. I no longer store games like this. It's just not worth the hassle if you ever decide you want to sell something.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jessica Bennett
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mb
I just couldn't stand to do this! I love all the fancy box art way too much for that! Although, I gotta say, I can't think of any games in our collection that have enough free space in the boxes TOO keep multiple games in one. They either have nice inserts, or the boxes are appropriately sized to fit everything for them. Are you really able to fit three games into one box? Does the box actually close all the way after that? O.o

The only times things get combined into one box here is mushing expansions into the base games box. All of Marvel Legendary is in the base box; the same with Small World and it's expansions, and Takenoko and Takenoko Chibis. And even then, I keep all the original boxes and often their inserts. Which has come in handy when some of our other games needed to be split off- Legendary's Dark City and Secret Wars Volume 2 boxes have been repurposed to keep the minis from Mansions of Madness Second Edition, and the cards, tokens, and player minis from Super Dungeon Explore: Forgotten King with the Von Drakk Manor expansion. In fact, I think the only expansion that's still in it original box is the Lords of Waterdeep expansion Scoundrels of Skullport. Their inserts are just too nifty!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boris Popov
Bulgaria
flag msg tools
mb
Another reason for cramming multiple games in a single box is using the components of one game for a PnP game.

For that reason I have Hyle in the box of Buccaneer. I just printed the rules and a 5x5 grid.

I have a PnP Santorini is in my Torres box too.

I was also forced to make my own copy of The Great Heartland Hauling Co. rethemed to use the cards of Catan, as the game is impossible to find. If and when this gem of a game goes back into print, I will happily get an original copy, as I have done with many games. I first printed, tried and ended up purchasing Sushi Go!, Evolution and a few others.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.