United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
The Wing Warrior - learn more at www.facebook.com/thelegendriders
mbmbmbmbmb
conedguy wrote:
Is it as good, as clean, as fun?

I'll be spending a lot of time with the game over the weekend, and hopefully getting a full review up by the end of next week.

I will say, certain things are streamlined (there are no tokens for tracking activations, most of the weapons don't have special rules), but this is usually balanced by something being added elsewhere (the new psychic phase, tokens for tracking wounds).

The dice mechanism seems to have trumped interesting weapon rules, which is disappointing. Many of your weapon decisions are cosmetic (unless you play Heresy). When reaper autocannons are treated exactly the same as heavy bolters, it feels like you are missing out some of what makes the Warhammer universe so cool.

But overall, it's as fast and simple as Calth.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Fish
United States
chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My initial impression is poor, hopefully it improves. It seems that it was a misstep to walk away from the "fun" skirmish rules Calth created.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claudio Hornblower
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Warning, I've only played a home-made "demo" of Calth (and saw the whole official gameplay video), while I've watched BoLS rules overview & demo game for Prospero.
Plus components video, etc.

Off the top of my head - actual owners, feel free to correct me:

Prospero has:
1. a set of 3 large + 2 small (front/back) coherent tilesets that visually snap together well (it's all white-ish and "ethereal"), plus terrain tiles to modify movement/LOS
(Calth has 4 hexed boards front/back, with part of hi-tech industrial landscape and part rocky dungeon that may or may not fit together well; I may be wrong but some red/blocking hex outline looks mis-centered)

2. no missile launchers to fit your squads
(Calth has plenty of options - maybe too much...?)

3. 47 man-sized models
(Calth has 37, plus 1 big dreadnought with special damage rules via cardset)

4. push-your-luck card minigame to cast spells (is it fun? or is it just a way to slow down gameplay with no real decisions at all?)
(Calth has an "event card" system that actually lets you decide when and where to use your "special powers" - it's up to you to improvise a Heavy Flamer with a prometheum pipeline at the tactical crucial moment)

5. movement: all models advance and pinned-status linked to initiative;
(Calth has a 2-points chit system. Clean. You activate a hex and spend 1 chit to move/attack/split models. Pinned if adjacent to enemy: you can move only 1 hex; otherwise you could move up to 2)

6. shooting: alternate back-and-forth between players, resolving one space at a time;
you roll dice for attack based on the shooting number of models, then the defender rolls an equal amount of D6 "upgraded" according to his armor (eg. 3 Legion veterans shooting bolters: they roll 3D6; 1 defending Custodes: roll 3D6, but having D8 armor, actually rolls 2D6+1D8);
rolls are paired from highest to lowest Risk-style; each 6+ is a critical (2x hits); if total hits = stamina, the defender is dead
(Calth again is action-points based; spend 1 AP to attack range/melee;
sum the weapon factors of the attacking hex and roll as many D6 (eg. 2+2+6 = 10 dice), then, essentially, you hit with 4+ [*] (a 6 activates a special effect linked to ONE of the shooting weapons, your choice);
pick a defender model, roll as many D6 as the armour and, essentially, you block with 5+, cancelling 1 hit;
assign the remaining hits to the model: if = stamina, the model is dead; repeat until all hits are assigned
)

[*] Calth uses special D6 where 3 faces are hit (of which 1 is a critical), 2 are shields and 1 is blank;
So in my proxy, I used plain D6:
1- miss
2,3- shield
4,5- hit
6- critical hit

----

I find Calth very clean, and coherent. I love the action chits, they make the game tactical: where to move, where to stand and fight. Impulses are more interesting than IGOYOUGO to me.

Calth's crits are cool. Please note that you do not need to actually kill a model to trigger a critical effect: just roll a 6 with a "humble" bolter, and you may trigger a suppression (-1 action point) to that enemy squad placed in a critical spot... Ah!

If it's not clear enough, my very first impression is that Calth is a more fluid, tactical interesting game.

My biggest cons for Calth:

1. too many choices for the weapons; if I'll end up buying it, I'm planning to pick* another M4 squad to combo;
* and yes I understand that they did it just to trigger exactly this...

2. lack of modular terrain*; damn if only they made plain hex boards with a single hex sheet of double-sided rubbles/machinery/whatever...!
* not talking about barricades here

3. a turn track: I know it's nitpicky, but counting the cards backwards for the actual turn is a bit awkward (we start with 6 cards, pick 1 at turn 1 = 5 left; pick another next turn 2 = 4 left... geez).
I know, you could use a die of whatever. But damn a humble turn track, come on!

4. If I shut down my brain and think with my stomach... Prospero has amazing models: Sisters and Custodes are very cool, but I love Space Wolves too and the hero is just right savage and brutal-looking.
In comparison, Calth has a more traditional and "bland" miniatures set.

Ideal world? Get both & merge with custom rules! (based on Calth!!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Outlaw
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mythologem wrote:

Off the top of my head - actual owners, feel free to correct me:

That's very comprehensive, and very useful for anyone considering the two games. Nice work.

A few things I have been thinking about as I tinker with the game:

While Prospero only has "man-sized" figures, the custodes are huge. They are bigger than terminators.

The "push your luck" element isn't very prominent in the psychic phase. Both sides always pull three cards as standard. Certain abilities give you the option of pulling an extra card if you want to. The actual card-pulling bit doesn't really have any strategy, but the strategy comes from how you position yourself to prepare for the card-pulling phase. Sisters give you bonuses if you positioned them correctly, and if you have positioned your units well you can minimise the effectiveness of some powers. Most of the choices come from which power to attempt, which coven to use, and what space or unit to target.

For people who don't paint, Calth has the advantage of each unit having a coloured action point token next to it. There are no such tokens for Prospero, which makes painting a bit more important.

Calth sides feel a bit more coherent. In Prospero, the Space Wolves team doesn't really feel like a Space Wolves team too much, because the Custodes and Sisters "water down" their flavour (you only have 11 Wolves models in the entire side).

The few weapon rules that do exist in Calth aren't as interesting. For example, as you said, bolters in Calth are actually one of the coolest weapons because of suppression fire. In contrast, the bolters in Prospero just allow you to reroll any D6 results of a one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan R
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mb
Hmm..

So.. Calth + Vedros = Prospero?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan R
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mb
Mythologem wrote:

Ideal world? Get both & merge with custom rules! (based on Calth!!)

Copy that. Orders acknowledged. Moving out!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cutthroat Cardboard (Barry)
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RedMonkeyBoy wrote:

The "push your luck" element isn't very prominent in the psychic phase. Both sides always pull three cards as standard. Certain abilities give you the option of pulling an extra card if you want to. The actual card-pulling bit doesn't really have any strategy, but the strategy comes from how you position yourself to prepare for the card-pulling phase. Sisters give you bonuses if you positioned them correctly, and if you have positioned your units well you can minimise the effectiveness of some powers. Most of the choices come from which power to attempt, which coven to use, and what space or unit to target.

This surprised me as most of the video reviews I had seen had described this as a push your luck element and generally it isn't, or at least not in the way I expected. The key decision is probably what order to attempt the abilities in. This is because some abilities will effectively buff others, like resurrecting a traitor then moving that squad or swapping it's models with another unit, which means you want to do that killer ability last but you're in constant fear of drawing a card that will end the phase before you've cast it. The longer you wait the more chance the phase will come to a grinding halt with your cunning plan in tatters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Outlaw
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Skipp wrote:
RedMonkeyBoy wrote:

This surprised me as most of the video reviews I had seen had described this as a push your luck element and generally it isn't, or at least not in the way I expected. The key decision is probably what order to attempt the abilities in. This is because some abilities will effectively buff others, like resurrecting a traitor then moving that squad or swapping it's models with another unit, which means you want to do that killer ability last but you're in constant fear of drawing a card that will end the phase before you've cast it. The longer you wait the more chance the phase will come to a grinding halt with your cunning plan in tatters.

Yeah. I was expecting the option to stop pulling cards at any time, and maybe a few other decision points, but they've gone for a more streamlined solution. There is a bit of push your luck, it just isn't really very prominent.

I see your point about the order of events, but I guess I don't really see that as being the same as push your luck. I always think of push your luck as a specific type of game mechanism that's all about doing the same thing over and over again, but choosing when to stop because the risk of loss becomes too great, rather than choosing an order to do a series of different things.

However, I do think the psychic phase is interesting - I said before, the whole game revolves around it. It's not what I was expecting, but you really have to plan for it, and within it, to get the most out of every turn. And the resolution is really quick and easy. I was worried it was going to drag a bit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Having spent a chunk of time converting and painting my attempt at Custodes, now led by an Emperors Champion I think I've had in an unopened blister pack for over 20 years gulp, I got scenario 2 on the table tonight. The traitors drew the additional powers to allow a unit to shoot in the psychic phase and the resurrection power. It was truly horrible but a good example of decisions relating to the order of the psychic powers. I think the optimum was firewall to avoid close combat, followed by resurrect chump casualty (if required), followed by free shot all on the heavy weapons team of heavy bolter, melta, and two marines with bolters.

If you don't think you'll get all three off then there's maybe some interesting decisions to make? On the first two turns I only got the firewall off and it almost felt like there was hope....then from turn 3 it was carnage and all the newly painted toys died horribly.

Scenario 2 looks tough for the Loyalists....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Outlaw
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Skipp wrote:
Having spent a chunk of time converting and painting my attempt at Custodes, now led by an Emperors Champion I think I've had in an unopened blister pack for over 20 years gulp, I got scenario 2 on the table tonight. The traitors drew the additional powers to allow a unit to shoot in the psychic phase and the resurrection power. It was truly horrible but a good example of decisions relating to the order of the psychic powers. I think the optimum was firewall to avoid close combat, followed by resurrect chump casualty (if required), followed by free shot all on the heavy weapons team of heavy bolter, melta, and two marines with bolters.

If you don't think you'll get all three off then there's maybe some interesting decisions to make? On the first two turns I only got the firewall off and it almost felt like there was hope....then from turn 3 it was carnage and all the newly painted toys died horribly.

Scenario 2 looks tough for the Loyalists....

How have you equipped your loyalists?

I've complained elsewhere that the choice of weapons doesn't seem as important in this game (it's certainly not as interesting or varied, and really doesn't have much impact on Legion Veteran squads), but it does still make some difference with custodes, termies, and sisters.

For this scenario, the custodes are defending, and fighting in close quarters against advancing enemies. It really feels like you want a full squad with sentinel swords and shields, so they can survive longer and also dish out more powerful shooting (the halberds 1D6 really isn't going to make much of a dent, and the extra range it offers doesn't really matter that much).

Unfortunately, my squad comprises HQ with sword and shield, one model with sword and shield, one model with vexilla and shield (no shooting option at all), and two halberds.

Things are not going well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As long as you don't tell anyone else I'll admit that I don't restrict myself to WYSIWYG on my models. surprise Nice idea as it is I just can't justify it as it reduces meaningful game choices unless you're willing to pay the cost of buying a lot more minis. As long as its easy to identify the proxy I'm Ok with it. The weapon choices and modeling are not good as Calth's but it's growing on me and they definitely impact on the game.

I've tried Scenario 2 multiple times, as lets face it it doesn't take very long , and for the Loyalists can't see past blade and shield on the squad members. I think you need the Vexilla, to create a shielding unit, and can see how you could go double combat with the leader....though he has to live long enough for it to be worth it!

I like the idea of the scenario and the story element is strong but I can't see how this one is balanced. It's just too easy for the Traitors to build heavy weapons teams and protect them with the flame wall. With the lines of sight being so open there is nowhere to hide. (and where would you hide a Custodian have you seen the size of those guys ) I think the scenario would work better as Waterloo rather than Thermopylae with the Wolf reinforcements arriving on the flank around turn 3/4?

I'm hoping scenario 3 will be better but I need to paint some terminators before that's going to happen.

Maybe we need a scenario thread? I'm enjoying the game so far but with all that randomness scenario balance might be an issue?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Outlaw
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Skipp wrote:
As long as you don't tell anyone else I'll admit that I don't restrict myself to WYSIWYG on my models. surprise Nice idea as it is I just can't justify it as it reduces meaningful game choices unless you're willing to pay the cost of buying a lot more minis. As long as its easy to identify the proxy I'm Ok with it. The weapon choices and modeling are not good as Calth's but it's growing on me and they definitely impact on the game.

Ha, I'm not completely opposed to a bit of proxying myself. Hell, I played Calth with proxies for a year

I do have limits though. "These custodes with halbards actually have swords and shields" is fine by me, but "This termie with claws actually has a bolter and power fist, and this one with a bolter and power fist actually has a chainfist, and this one with a bolter and power fist actually has a sword..." Yeah. Not into that so much. And if possible, I play wysiwig so there is no chance of confusion, especially in the late game when things start getting tense.

I've never met a scenario-based GW game that didn't have at least one mission that seemed heavily balanced to one side, so I won't be surprised here either. And yeah, at the moment I can't keep my custodes alive for very long at all.

Emperor's finest, my ass.

I think that's the problem with the scenario. The traitors win if they kill the custodes, and that route to victory seems like a better option than trying to tear down the statue. My being able to bring the dead custodes back in as reinforcements each round might level the playing field a bit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Carr
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
I've been trying to figure out how to deal with the weapon builds myself.

With Calth I just bought two sets and managed to be able to build out almost every combination that could be chosen.

This time I'll definitely be magnetizing some things but I know that certain loadouts will be too much of a pain (aka, double-handed weapons). I'm thinking of putting the extra weapons on small bases to use as markers for showing what a guy has if it's different than what he's modeled with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just got my copy without minis. More by accident than design, I have adequate proxies.

The Dark Vengeance boxset Tactical Marine/Chaos Squads I use as proxies for Calth will work for Prospero.

The Chaos Terminator squad I have for Space Hulk will work for Prospero.

So far, all figure's weapons are legit. No proxies.

The Sisters of Battle box I bought in a laughable attempt to interest my daughter in painting miniatures are adequate, gender appropriate proxies for bolter armed Sisters of Silence.

And, the just for the heck of it Cataphactii Terminators I painted up last year as Adeptus Custodes substitute a Power Fist and Storm Bolter for a Guardian Spear.

I think this works with mild proxy machinations. Theme fast-forwarded to 40K, vice 30K.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lookin good Mark.

I reckon there's a lot of old 40K players using the new board games as a vehicle to get existing models on their table. Much as I love the models in Prospero there is something satisfying about using minis that have been lying around for years. I converted my Sisters from some dark elf ladies with Marine accessories and some bits form an old Mordheim sprue. My Emporer's Champion, who is leading my Custodes, has been in an un-opened blister for around 20 years. (I'm still trying to work out how that time passed gulp)

It's great how each of these games gives new impetus to painting and modeling of stuff that hasn't seen much love in years.

Look forward to hearing how you get on with the game. Suggest you don't get too attached to those Custodes....whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Outlaw
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Skipp wrote:

I've tried Scenario 2 multiple times, as lets face it it doesn't take very long , and for the Loyalists can't see past blade and shield on the squad members. I think you need the Vexilla, to create a shielding unit, and can see how you could go double combat with the leader....though he has to live long enough for it to be worth it!

I like the idea of the scenario and the story element is strong but I can't see how this one is balanced. It's just too easy for the Traitors to build heavy weapons teams and protect them with the flame wall. With the lines of sight being so open there is nowhere to hide. (and where would you hide a Custodian have you seen the size of those guys ) I think the scenario would work better as Waterloo rather than Thermopylae with the Wolf reinforcements arriving on the flank around turn 3/4?

I'm hoping scenario 3 will be better but I need to paint some terminators before that's going to happen.

Maybe we need a scenario thread? I'm enjoying the game so far but with all that randomness scenario balance might be an issue?

Nearly, nearly pulled off my first custodian win on this mission this evening. Mainly because the traitors failed to bring on any reinforcements for the first three turns of the game. A combination of fire wall and shroud kept the few traitor troops that were there alive.

At turn 6 of the game, one custode was still in play, and there was no damage on the statue. At that point, the traitors concentrated all their fire on the last custode, winning by tabling. It was really tense towards the end, and I'm starting to think that (even with better traitor reinforcements) there is hope for the custodes. Unfortunately, I'm not sure what I believe to be the optimal strategy...

Spoiler (click to reveal)
charge into close combat, snarl up the narrow passages with shield walls, and hopefully pin the enemy in place on reinforcement points to limit new arrivals

...makes for the most interesting scenario.

For the record, my loadout was one vexilla with dagger and shield (why didn't they fit a cute little bolt pistol into the daggers?), and swords and shields all round for the rest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RedMonkeyBoy wrote:

Nearly, nearly pulled off my first custodian win on this mission this evening. Mainly because the traitors failed to bring on any reinforcements for the first three turns of the game. A combination of fire wall and shroud kept the few traitor troops that were there alive.

For the record, my loadout was one vexilla with dagger and shield (why didn't they fit a cute little bolt pistol into the daggers?), and swords and shields all round for the rest.

Good to hear it might be possible. I would have been mightily impressed if you had pulled it off.
Spoiler (click to reveal)

I started with a similar strategy but the opposition just ran away and unless you send 2 of your small band of loyalists to each entry point its hard to stop. Unfortunately you don't have enough Custodes to pressure all four entry points with 2 Custodes and with the fire wall to protect the heavy weapons team I just couldn't get it to work. The Costodes also defend better in 2's which makes it even harder to balance attack and defense. If the Traitors start their heavy weapons on one of the small tiles and get the fire wall cast they tend to be mowing down Custodes from turn 1 and it makes it hard to get in front of that curve

Definitely agree on the load out.

I'm thinking of trying a variant of the scenario with no heavy weapons for the Traitors. That should make the Custodes feel much more awesome and make the statue a more tempting target? Might end up with the traitors struggling with the time limit?

Everything painted for scenario 3 so hopefully get it on the table later today.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Outlaw
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Skipp wrote:

I'm thinking of trying a variant of the scenario with no heavy weapons for the Traitors. That should make the Custodes feel much more awesome and make the statue a more tempting target? Might end up with the traitors struggling with the time limit?

Let me know how that works out. I get the impression that without heavies, the balance might swing too far the other way. With their three stamina and D10 save, you really need to roll some crits to get kills against custodes. Heavy bolters and meltas obviously represent the best chance of doing that. With D6 peashooters that need sixes to crit, combat units less than four strong probably won't have a lot of luck killing anything. (Obviously, you can concentrate fire from multiple squads onto a single target over the course of a turn, but I'm not convinced bolters would be enough.)

I know that sometimes in the heat of battle my custodes forget to make their second attacks, and that can really make a difference, so I am sticking with the scenario as written for now.

I will say, at the moment I am really enjoying the game's positional play (in general). Breaking off a single model from a combat squad, just to stand next to an opposing combat squad to prevent it from moving or firing is really cool, and I find there are lots of decisions to make based on moving models around to create screens from enemy fire, and to keep valuable units free from getting pinned.

Giegor is a monster, with the potential to move five zones in a single turn. It's just horrible to watch him go to work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RedMonkeyBoy wrote:

I know that sometimes in the heat of battle my custodes forget to make their second attacks, and that can really make a difference, so I am sticking with the scenario as written for now.

Guilty as charged modest

For my first three attempts at this scenario I forgot all about their second attack! I can't make up my mind how much this has impacted on my view of the scenario balance? My feeling is that the Loyalists would still have lost them all comfortably but after I'm finished with scenario 3 I'll go back and play the second one several more times before trying a variation.

The idea of the alternative was to change the scenario back to being about destroying the statue rather than the Custodes.

RedMonkeyBoy wrote:

I will say, at the moment I am really enjoying the game's positional play (in general). Breaking off a single model from a combat squad, just to stand next to an opposing combat squad to prevent it from moving or firing is really cool, and I find there are lots of decisions to make based on moving models around to create screens from enemy fire, and to keep valuable units free from getting pinned.

I agree I think this aspect of the design works really well

RedMonkeyBoy wrote:

Giegor is a monster, with the potential to move five zones in a single turn. It's just horrible to watch him go to work.

I think he's been modeled really well in the system. He has the power to break open positions single handed but can get himself isolated if he's not careful. He also forces the opposition to carefully consider how they set up their defense.

I've just finished playing scenario 3 for the first two times. (Hopefully with all the correct rules whistle) It feels like the first time I'm seeing the whole game. Really interesting with lots of moving parts....balanced, hard to say at this stage?! I think it's harder to play well with a small number of elites than the large number of marines in a tactical squad.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Finally won scenario 2 as the Custodes. It needed a pile of luck. Traitors failed to cast flamewall on turn one, hardly made a reinforcement roll, and didn't roll a single multi critical roll from the heavy weapons team. Loyalists shooting was good at the start which kept the threat contained and the traitors struggling to get enough marines on to put them under pressure.

I had got close in my previous game but one good shot wiped out two of the three Custodes I had left and it all went pear shaped. I still don't think its balanced but it's maybe more fun than I initially thought particularly if the Custodes can have a decent first turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Outlaw
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Skipp wrote:
Finally won scenario 2 as the Custodes. It needed a pile of luck. Traitors failed to cast flamewall on turn one, hardly made a reinforcement roll, and didn't roll a single multi critical roll from the heavy weapons team. Loyalists shooting was good at the start which kept the threat contained and the traitors struggling to get enough marines on to put them under pressure.

I had got close in my previous game but one good shot wiped out two of the three Custodes I had left and it all went pear shaped. I still don't think its balanced but it's maybe more fun than I initially thought particularly if the Custodes can have a decent first turn.

Well done. I still haven't quite managed it yet, but I had reached the conclusion it was possible

Still, I don't think tactics have much to do with the victor in this scenario. I think how you roll has too much impact, whereas in something like scenario 1, how you position and move your units, and the order in which you pick your targets, is much more central to whether or not you win.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the system suffers/benefits from a challenge that small armies of elites can be dramatically affected by one major dice roll that goes contrary to expectation. In almost every game it feels like there is one shot from a heavy weapons team that pretty much clears an area no matter what is in it. If that's 2 of 5 elite models forming your army it can be a game changer. I've intentionally not calculated the odds but as you add units to the firing squad its the potential for those extra D6's to cause mayhem, usually against defending D6's. Of course the good old one reroll for bolters adds to the fun.

The reason it might be a benefit is that it can add some interesting choices when your deciding how to form your units and impacts on the importance of psychic abilities like wings of fire compared to a psychic attack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Outlaw
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Skipp wrote:
I think the system suffers/benefits from a challenge that small armies of elites can be dramatically affected by one major dice roll that goes contrary to expectation. In almost every game it feels like there is one shot from a heavy weapons team that pretty much clears an area no matter what is in it. If that's 2 of 5 elite models forming your army it can be a game changer. I've intentionally not calculated the odds but as you add units to the firing squad its the potential for those extra D6's to cause mayhem, usually against defending D6's. Of course the good old one reroll for bolters adds to the fun.

The reason it might be a benefit is that it can add some interesting choices when your deciding how to form your units and impacts on the importance of psychic abilities like wings of fire compared to a psychic attack.

I think you're right. Another concern is that single models, even the really good ones, don't always feel that killy. I mean, a custodes with a halberd is still only rolling a D6 when shooting. Often, you have to exhaust both attacks just to injure a single grunt, let alone actually kill one. So, sometimes it feels like quantity is better than quality.

By the way - I really like that there are hardly any attacking type psychic abilities, and the few you do get are quite weak. Most of them are about movement, or blocking movement, or restricting line of sight. In any game, I always find spells, weapons, and abilities that grant you greater tactical flexibility to be much more interesting than something that just hits the baddies, or gives you a +1 to your dice roll when attacking.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Played Scenario One, twice.

OK, by all that is Holy here, 2 sessions = 1st Impression.

The game is simple, fast, and fun. It's easy to get the details down, and play speeds up accordingly. I thought the card flipping of the Psychic Phase would get rote, but it's got enough suspense and decisions to be interesting each time. Only the Psychic Phase even uses cards (I know the phase is called something else I can't even spell, but I named it for the children). The rest of the turn goes fast, with no stopping to read and play cards (I'm looking at you Calth...kinda). The game has lot's of luck. But, not so much luck that solid play and timely decisions can't sway play. It's game board looks like Deathwatch: Overkill's, but has more nuance (OK, terrain). I don't find the boards particularly immersive. I see zones, not cityscape. But, missing the buildings for the blocks may just be MY shortcoming.

Comparison with Calth? Calth is the deeper game , more decisions, more immersive, more tactical feel, and a better, integrated game system. BUT, Propsero is not WAY behind. Mostly, it's just different, with more emphasis on game play than game system. It would not surprise me if Prospero's faster, smoother play means it gets more plays around here*.

It would also be the better solo game.

*I hate to say this out loud, but I think I like that Prospero is an entirely different game system.**

**And, I will deny I ever said it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.