$18.00
GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters: 113.92

6,971 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
43.9% of Goal | left

Support:

Chris Prather
msg tools
Hi there, so i'm working on miniatures game, and one game mechanic i'm toying with, is each play will lay down regular playing card sized card, with a land type.

So far I have:

Planes: Neutural flat with no effect on combat.

rivers: Slow down or block movement, flying creatures are uneffected

Forest: provides protection from air attacks, but also prevents the play from using their own.

Mountain: Blocks/nuetrualizes flying and evens up non flying creatures

I know the name of the lands sound "Magic: the gathering-ish" but these are just generic names until I think of something else

Does these 4 land types and mechanics seem balanced? If not, how would you suggest I go about to balancing them?

Also, if anyone has ideas for other terrain types and game mechanics, please suggest them.

Prehapse I should have put this part first, but my game idea, is to make a tactical miniatures game, inspired as cross between fire Emblem (i'm thinking about using a rock paper sciccors weapons/magic for this game, like fire emblem) and magic the gathering.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
PoppinFresh84 wrote:
Does these 4 land types and mechanics seem balanced? If not, how would you suggest I go about to balancing them?

Zero way to tell without knowing all the rules.

If a 3'x3' table is used and a normal move is 1", rivers won't mean a lot, but if moves are 18", that's big.

Balanced would only be known when knowing the complete teams available. If one team is all flyers, rivers are unbalanced.

This information is not enough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Lewis
United States
Cumming
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
Terrain should be one of the last things you work on when designing a tactical miniatures game. This is because terrain rules are usually used to apply modifiers and restrictions to the game's standard mechanics and without having the standard mechanics finished, it is hard to tell how well your terrain will work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.