Subject: Legacy of Dracula rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason
United States
Brooklyn Center
Minnesota
flag msg tools
This is probably a pipe dream, given the breakup of Asmodeeffg and GW, but I can't help but imagine a "legacy" version of "Fury of Dracula". Between plays of the game, decades pass. Younger versions of hunters (that survive) become older versions. If Dracula loses, he is not actually permanently killed so much as defeated, taking decades to become powerful enough to threaten Europe again. The overarching plot is to find a way to permanently destroy him.

Europe changes as the ages pass, and Dracula's tactics must change to suit them. Some events tie into history, such as World Wars. Cities are permanently changed, affecting both Dracula's use of them as hideouts and the hunters' experience in visiting them.

Perhaps the player controlling a hunter who is turned into a vampire and survives being killed may be the hunted in the next play. Though they become a creature of blood, they carry on some special abilities that set them apart from Dracula. The other hunters must defeat this hunter-turned-vampire before finally moving on to confront their dark lord.

Of course, maybe Asmodee will just swallow up GW eventually and it'll be a done deal.

To those who don't like "legacy" games: I am sympathetic. I didn't want to play Risk Legacy or Pandemic Legacy because I'm not a big fan of either of those games. Seafall looked boring to me. I'm somewhat interested in the upcoming Charterstone by Stonemaier, but it seems like it'd miss out on the overarching plot that something like Dracula could give a legacy game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Merritt
United States
flag msg tools
mb
Sounds like a mixture of Fury and Castlevania with the Belmont clan, since Dracula keeps coming back again and again in those games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffery Hudson
United States
Washington
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ok, i'd be very interested in this..i love Fury and anything to get it to the table more often would be awesome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Brooklyn Center
Minnesota
flag msg tools
COMaestro wrote:
Sounds like a mixture of Fury and Castlevania with the Belmont clan, since Dracula keeps coming back again and again in those games.

Would definitely have to add a whip to the item deck!

Assuming there's not already one. We didn't even finish our first game and I was Dracula, so I saw very few of the items.

Speaking of items, I was thinking maybe there could be relics that can be created and destroyed over the course of the game. These could be holy relics like the "The Pinky Goe of Saint Pugnacious", but also ones with special significance in the earlier fights against Dracula, like "Jonathan Harker's kukri" or "Abraham Van Helsing's Revolver." Depending on the success of those latter hunters, the relic may or may not come out.

Also, I was thinking that one of the "episodes" could actually go BACK in time, seeing you in a fight against Dracula before the time of the novel. Things done there could then pop up again in your next "present day" adventure. Like you could go and find an artifact that was left in the catacombs of Paris during a much earlier fight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randal Divinski
United States
Natick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jepmn wrote:
Also, I was thinking that one of the "episodes" could actually go BACK in time, seeing you in a fight against Dracula before the time of the novel. Things done there could then pop up again in your next "present day" adventure. Like you could go and find an artifact that was left in the catacombs of Paris during a much earlier fight.
T.I.M.E Stories: Fury of Dracula

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Brooklyn Center
Minnesota
flag msg tools
randiv wrote:
jepmn wrote:
T.I.M.E Stories: Fury of Dracula

Haha, nice!

Just to be clear (as upon rereading it I realized it wasn't), I don't mean the hunters would actually travel in time. I mean the GAME goes back in time. So you play an episode that's set in an earlier time, with hunters (or just regular folks that are pressed into it) that lived back then.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sounds like a very intriguing concept. Personally, I'd suggest a narrower scope for the timeline: If the game developed from the 1890s to the 1920s, even most human characters could be played throughout the whole game. Those 30 years would be sufficient to modify gameplay quite a lot - I mean, we're talking about going from carriage to car, essentially. Then there's the proliferation of phones, the overhaul of European railroads (e.g. Simplon rerouting the Orient Express), and so forth... and of course World War 1.

Most importantly, however, this timeframe really lends itself to a horror atmosphere... for the 1890s, there's the whole array of Victorian horror (Dracula, Frankenstein, Jekyll and Hyde, Jack the Ripper, to name a few) to draw from. The 1920s are similarly well-developed in the horror genre, mostly prominently in Lovecraftian stories, which would also make for a decent arc of suspense in a game (from the more intimate gothic horror of the 1890s to the religious/cosmic horror of the 1920s).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.