16 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: need a competitive dungeon crawler rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
stephen nash
msg tools
Hi
I have been really enjoying dungeon crawlers of late but my gaming group has 2 more experienced gamers (me included) that get a bit bored with the coop games as we try not to tell the others the best move.
Is there a competitive dungeon crawler that doesn't use the one vs all mechanic (decent).
My usual group is 4-5 players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Bishop
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Arcadia Quest - Kinda a light dungeon crawl, but has a campaign that is quite competitive (you directly attack each other). You do not need all the promo/kickstarter extra stuff.

Tomb and/or Tomb: Cryptmaster - If you can get past the horrible rulebook (and house rule a few things) this is a fun competitive dungeon crawl. May be out of print.

Runebound (Third Edition) - More of an adventure game, but each player upgrades themselves to defeat the Big Bad before the others do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eugenio
Argentina
flag msg tools
Haven't played it myself, but a lot of people seem to recommend: Shadows of Brimstone: Swamps of Death & Shadows of Brimstone: City of the Ancients.

EDIT: Maybe you know it already but Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition) has launched an app that works as the DM so you all can play against it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Skull Tales is semi-cooperative. You do work together, but also in some way, everyone is in it for him- or herself.

Bye
Thanee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Smith

Colchester
essex
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I used to play Dungeon Twister with my brother a while ago and it was fun but I think it was only 2. Player and more fun with a prisoner expansion.
Most competitive and fun game I got to play was Dungeon Run it has a twist with the bad guy control system.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel B
Sweden
Umeå
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
+1 for arcadia quest!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
I too am a bit tired of co-ops

I recently played Vast: The Crystal Caverns. Very fun competitive asymmetrical dungeon crawl.

Its between print runs,but I that nk itcomesout again in Jan.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nelag_macdahmer wrote:
+1 for arcadia quest!

Another vote for Arcadia Quest!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolfgang Kunz
Germany
Netphen
flag msg tools
I'm German. That's what we do...
mbmbmbmbmb
another vote for Arcadia Quest if your group has no problem with backstabbing (it WILL happen sooner or later in the game).

Also my son and I like Secrets of the Lost Tomb a lot. Can be played competitive in the way that the adventurer with the most treasure wins. You might work together in defending the evil that lurks in the tomb but you can decide how and when to help another player or just shoot him down and loot his body

Necessary expansions for this one (IMHO): Secrets of the Lost Tomb: Passages and Perils (for the traps & tiles), Secrets of the Lost Tomb: Ancient Myths and Legends (if you like to fight Nazis Indiana Jones style).

You can download and look at the rules in advance to see if it is for you. Showed it a buddy of mine and he went "all in" - we both don't own the KS. Minis (IMHO) are not necessary.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Bishop
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Had another one for you:

Cutthroat Caverns is more like a card based RPG where only 1 person can win but you need the others at "meat shields" to survive. There are plenty of expansions that each add more stuff. The one that makes it more of a boardless dungeon crawl/rpg is the modules of which Cutthroat Caverns Adventures: B1 – Savage Arena / B2 – Errand of Evil is one of them so far.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan
United States
Hellertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
MAJBrown22 wrote:
nelag_macdahmer wrote:
+1 for arcadia quest!

Another vote for Arcadia Quest!

This.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Clank! - I haven't played it but it is definitely on my list of games to play. It is a race game where you get in and get out and if you are the first out, you get a bonus, but if you go deeper in, then you can get better loot. It looks like a great marriage of deckbuilding and dungeon crawling. I hope to try it out soon! I really think the part where if you are too loud can lure the dragon is a really nice touch.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Italy
Torino
flag msg tools
[______|_hi]
badge
[intentionally left blank]
mbmbmbmbmb
Dungeoneer: Tomb of the Lich Lord or any of the other base sets.

Each player controls a hero.
The monsters are played by each player in his/her overlord phase.
You win completing 3 quests with your hero before the others, or killing all the others heroes.
Beware, not the most polished game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomer Mlynarsky
Israel
flag msg tools
As others said, Arcadia Quest is great.

Masmmora is a complimentary game to it and is a competitive dungeon crawl.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
Dallas
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another vote for Arcadia Quest

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
WD Yoga
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love playing Arcadia Quest but I don't think AQ is a dungeon crawler. Masmorra: Dungeons of Arcadia is a competitive dungeon crawler, so I'd recommend that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.