Hide
8 Posts

Kingdom Death: Monster» Forums » Rules

Subject: Immortal Disorder (some spoilers) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Em Finley
msg tools
How would the Immortal disorder interact with Active Thyroid from the Gorm expansion?
Spoiler (click to reveal)
"Consume: archive and roll 1d10. On a 7+, gain +1 permanent speed. Otherwise, your heart explodes, killing you instantly."

It seems odd that someone would be able to live in that condition, but we interpreted a roll of 1-6 as "nothing happens to an Immortal".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Currie
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
Dignity. Always dignity!
mbmbmbmbmb
Kiwietha wrote:
How would the Immortal disorder interact with Active Thyroid from the Gorm expansion?
Spoiler (click to reveal)
"Consume: archive and roll 1d10. On a 7+, gain +1 permanent speed. Otherwise, your heart explodes, killing you instantly."

It seems odd that someone would be able to live in that condition, but we interpreted a roll of 1-6 as "nothing happens to an Immortal".

The "Immortal" disorder is misinterpreted constantly. It does not actually make your character unkillable. Completely ignore the flavor text on the card, and only listen to the actual rules underneath. The disorder basically says "As long as you are insane, you take all damage as brain damage."

The ability does not interact at all with anything that would cause an instant death, like Active Thyroid. If Active Thyroid said "Otherwise, take 3 damage to the head" and your Immortal Survivor was insane, then he could absorb that damage using his disorder. However, it says "killing you instantly." You don't roll for or apply damage - the survivor is dead, and the Immortal disorder is never triggered.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Em Finley
msg tools
Cool. We drew the Immortal card during a showdown with the Hand tonight. Half of us thought we'd be able to create the perfect killing machine using consumables and the other half thought it was too perfect to be legit. Thanks for the clarification.

It makes for a pretty neat segway between campaigns, though: in the end, everyone dies except the Immortal, who goes on to found a new settlement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessio Massuoli
Italy
Terni
TR
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hey, it's a disorder: the guy THINKS he's immortal, but as long as he's raving mad it works for him. Until, at a certain point, reality hits him hard and he begins to understand that he is actually quite mortal.

Not only it makes a lot of sense, but I find this disorder the best case in KD:M (along with crit to lion's testes) of a ruling that is both good AND flavorful.

I won't talk about the actual rule, because at this point it is extra clear that immortal does exactly nothing in your case
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Onyx
msg tools
I gotta be blunt here, but I don't understand where the confusion comes from? Nowhere on the Immortal disorder card does it say "You can no longer die", it just says all damage to your hit locations is dealt as brain damage instead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Em Finley
msg tools
I suppose the confusion came from two places: the first was not immediately understanding the difference between flavour text and actual rules. It says on the card, "You will live forever and cannot be killed."

The second is that Immortal isn't immediately recognisable as a mental disorder; on hindsight it makes a lot of sense that this is an illusion rather than an actual effect. Things like Anxiety, Traumatized, and Megalophobia are a lot more (and instantly) recognisable as mental disorders. The first thing that springs to mind with Immortal is "Holy crap, we can't die!"

It might be slightly better if the card read "Immortality" instead. Then it summons to mind 'the state of being' rather than 'you are'. Although... that work is immediately undone by the flavour text saying, "You are immortal!"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam D
msg tools
mb
I've always read the flavour text as what the survivor is thinking, rather than what actually is happening.

I have a follow on question, immortal turns damage into brain damage, if insane.

Stark raving means yo are always insane.

Does this combo mean you will always take damage as brain damage?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessio Massuoli
Italy
Terni
TR
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yes

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.