Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Kovac
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mb

I was visiting the Hairy Tarantula store in downtown Toronto and they told me they are moving out as of December since they are redeveloping the building. Lots of good memories and they most probably will have some good sale around Christmas.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Goddard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A shame. Most of the first boardgames I own came from that store. Walking up those stairs to, well I wasn't sure to what, and then opening up to all the games and comics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kaiwen Zhang
Germany
Munich
Bavaria
flag msg tools
Welcome to Zombo.com!
badge
Art of life
mbmbmbmbmb
that's a shame. I can't say I bought many games there (maybe one or two) over the years, but losing a FLGS at a prime location always sucks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Bradshaw
United States
Farmington
Connecticut
flag msg tools
From the headline, and not knowing the name of the store, I thought someone was shutting a store down because a tarantula was inside. It seemed a bit of an overreaction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's still Hairy Tarantula North up at Yonge and Steeles.

Too bad, I'll miss the cats at the downtown store...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Smith
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I was there yesterday looking for some random games when I heard the news. I'm a shop with my eyes kind of person and hitting up the North store probably won't happen since I work halfway between Meeplemart and 401 and live in East York.

It's unfortunate because I've found titles there I haven't seen at the other stores mentioned.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Ellis
Canada
Vernon
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Gaming is a lifestyle choice.
mbmbmbmbmb
cry Love this store!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Goddard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
monstrooper wrote:
Too bad, I'll miss the cats at the downtown store...

Funny, the cats are why I had to stop going. My allergies would explode walking in and they would let the cats sleep and lie on the boardgame boxes that you were trying to browse.

My eyes are watering just thinking of it. cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Hoier
United States
Sioux Falls
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, it was a giant cesspool. Sorry, but it is true. I vacationed up there and hit 401, another shop, and Tarantula.

Hairy was up a shady looking staircase, had almost no signage outside (I walked past it when looking for it), was full of cats and litter box smell, was COMPLETELY cramped and had narrow "aisles" (I use that term loosely, more like paths through piled up boxes), was poorly lit... need I go on?

And thinking about it now... it was totally inaccessible to the handicapped. Is that even legal? Here in the U.S. Stores have to have a way for wheelchairs to enter and maneuver around.

You guys have some awesome shops, but that was not one of them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb
benevolentweasl wrote:
Yeah, it was a giant cesspool. Sorry, but it is true. I vacationed up there and hit 401, another shop, and Tarantula.

Hairy was up a shady looking staircase, had almost no signage outside (I walked past it when looking for it), was full of cats and litter box smell, was COMPLETELY cramped and had narrow "aisles" (I use that term loosely, more like paths through piled up boxes), was poorly lit... need I go on?

And thinking about it now... it was totally inaccessible to the handicapped. Is that even legal? Here in the U.S. Stores have to have a way for wheelchairs to enter and maneuver around.

You guys have some awesome shops, but that was not one of them.

Quoted for truth. One of the physically dirtiest stores I've ever been in over more than four decades of gaming (though the amount of dust and dinginess in their dark, basement North York location gives it a run for the money). Yes, the selection was usually good, but awful experience otherwise (and the staff was never what I'd call especially helpful). That store is a good example of why non-gaming folks roll their eyes at the hobby.

P.S. I am the staff for three cats so litter boxes don't normally bother me ... this store smelled.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Hoier
United States
Sioux Falls
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad I'm not the only one who found it disgusting.

And I have plenty to compare it to. I've been to game shops in:
Orlando, FL
Ocala, FL
Lincoln, NE
Omaha, NE
Minneapolis, MN
Fantasy Flight's store
Miniature Market's store
Sioux Falls, SD
Regina, Canada
Toronto, Canada

TRUST ME, this was the grossest. Period.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Ku
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Lola Cat 2010-2014
mbmbmb
The Hairy T was the first gaming store I went to when I first got into the hobby 11 years ago. I'm happy there are many other options now. It is a disgustingly dirty space. It's one thing to have cats in a store. I can live with that. I like cats. But the store was dirty and smelled awful. The prices were also a lot higher than other local stores, and it was so disorganized in there it was hard to browse.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Cabral
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Luckily I can buy my games at 401 Games just a short walk North on Yonge Street or MeepleMart on University Avenue in China Town. Both are better lit and a lot cleaner.

I only went to Hairy Tarantula to buy some manga, but never trusted to buy anything else from there. The staff were rude if you asked them a question and the place was dirty and smelled awful.

With regards to the legality of accessibility here is the City of Toronto guidelines for the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA)

http://www1.toronto.ca/wps/portal/contentonly?vgnextoid=7ed9...

Hairy Tarantula may have an exception under the Ontario Heritage Act where it protects damage to Ontario Heritage buildings. That building... somehow... may be a Heritage building. However, the redevelopment indicates that it may be demolished or renovated to make it legal. Or more likely being replaced by a condo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Case
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I went in there twice - I found a used copy of Java there (they let me rummage in the back). They let me have it for one third of the price because there was a tile missing (which Rio Grande sent me)

I liked the "treasure hunt" aspect of the store
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.