Popular Tags: [View All]
Gonzalo Aguirre Bisi
Spain
Rome
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb

Making games has always been very rewarding, seeing someone having a good time is just priceless. ThunderGryph’s objective is to bring games that will make people interact and share a great moment of fun together. Starting with Overseers, ThunderGryph wants to bring polished and well-tested games to deliver an engaging but streamlined game experience built to last with the highest quality components available while delivering some breathtaking artwork in the process.

Our plan for 2017 is to release 4 different original games that we are working on, but we feel that there are many incredible ideas out there, and as a new publisher we want to give opportunities to new and passionate game designers to work in this amazing industry.

Starting with this one, we will organize yearly game design contests to award the most creative and original design using the setup and criteria we selected for each year contest.

1. THEME

This first year is dedicated to the “Survival” theme. It could be on a stranded desert, post-apocalyptic or any theme that fits in the Survival thematic. For reference, we are using the Secret Island designed by Sean Thurlow which will be our official illustrator for the winning game. You can get inspiration by his original design or create a world by yourself.

2. DESIGN CRITERIA

d10-1 Streamlined (A game that is divided in fast turns but with interesting and engaging gameplay)
d10-2 Well-tested (Good built rules without loopholes or mechanics exploits)
d10-3 High Replay Value
d10-4 Originality

For this contest, we got two different design categories:

A) Main category: Euro Game
B) Filler category: Any game type is allowed

3. ENTRY REQUIREMENTS

d10-1 Game introduction and rules must be in English.
d10-2 Game needs to be unpublished
d10-3 Designers with less than three published games can participate (self-publishing is not included).

4. SUBMISSION GUIDELINES

d10-1 Create a Work in Progress thread on boardgamegeek with the title format: [WIP] Game_Name (ThunderGryph Contest 2017)
d10-2 Comment on our Contest Page or this thread with your full name and entry link to your boardgamegeek WIP thread.

The WIP thread structure needs to be as follows:
– Game Title & Designer | Game Category | Players | Suggested play time
– Overview of the Game (3~4 lines)
– List of Components
– Picture/s proof of concept
– Link for game rules and files

5. DEADLINES

- Contest announcement: November 3rd 2016
- Submission period: November 3rd 2016 to 30th April 2017
- Evaluation: May 1st to 30th June 2017 where finalists will be announced (finalist will be asked to send the final prototype for review)
- Final Testing: 20th July to 20th August 2017
- Announcement of winners: 21st August 2017

6. PRIZES

Main category first prize of 500$ USD + the possibility to publish the game with ThunderGryph Games with a 1000$ USD royalty down payment.

Filler category first prize of 250$ USD + the possibility to publish the game with ThunderGryph Games with a 500$ USD royalty down payment.

Second and third spots for each category will receive every game ThunderGryph Games publishes during 2017.

All the finalists will receive the commemorative and limited GoldenGryph metal token as a token of appreciation.

7. JURY

The Jury will consist of ThunderGryph’s Editorial Team and other company’s partners.

8. OTHER RULES

d10-1 Only one entry on each category per designer.
d10-2 The rights to the games will remain with the authors at all times.
d10-3 Entries that do not fulfill the requirements outlined in section 3 of these rules will be disqualified
d10-4 By the Submission Deadline, all entry files must be marked as “Contest Ready”. These files should not be modified during the duration of the evaluation period.

For questions or additional information, you can contact our team at: support@thundergryph.com
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gonzalo Aguirre Bisi
Spain
Rome
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
ENTRIES

I will only post the entries that are valid WIP threads with completed structure as requested in the contest rules.

Main Category:

1. The Beast by Thomas Dagenais-Lespérance | Main | 3-4 | 60 minutes

Filler Category:

1. Apokalypsis by Nicholas Hjelmberg | Filler | 2-4 | 30 minutes

UPDATES

UPDATE 29th November 2017 -The Game Crafter joins our Survival Contest!

This contest has been very well received among game designers and this is why we are joining forces with The Game Crafter as our recommended print on demand partner.

- Every contest entry will receive a free 5$ voucher to create a prototype on thegamecrafter.com
- ThunderGryph will match the voucher for all our contest finalist for a total of 10$
- On top of that, finalists that use thegamecrafter.com to make their prototype won’t have to pay for shipping. We will arrange a combined shipment of all the finalists games with The Game Crafter and will be paid in full by us.

These are other three great reasons to join the contest to win 500$ in cash and a possible publishing deal with us! Remember that the deadline for the contest is 30th April 2017.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Ward
Japan
Matsumoto
Nagano
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent contest. I'm looking into it with interest. Best of luck to all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Mansell
United States
Naperville
IL
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Very interested in this. Thanks for setting up this contest!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C East
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Game needs to be unpublished

Yup. Fair enough.

Quote:
and never been submitted to a publisher or another related contest.

Well that is just going to cut out a lot of good games. I have something that I have submitted to another small publisher months ago and they have not got back to me but you just cut me out .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Thomson
msg tools
designer
This contest looks pretty sweet! I'm very interested in it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gonzalo Aguirre Bisi
Spain
Rome
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
hzfreelancer wrote:

Quote:
and never been submitted to a publisher or another related contest.

Well that is just going to cut out a lot of good games. I have something that I have submitted to another small publisher months ago and they have not got back to me but you just cut me out .

We've been discussing this matter for the last couple of days since this is not the first time I see this comment, and you are right, there might be amazing games around there that we cannot exclude just because a publisher didn't replied.

I removed that part from the requirements

Thank you very much for the interest guys!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C East
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Sanders
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Here is my place saver for my WIP to be update regularly from now until the end of this thing. I hope I am doing it right.

Stephen Sanders

https://boardgamegeek.com/article/24156150#24156150
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gilad Yarnitzky
Israel
Reut
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like a great contest. Now I know on what game I'll work in the next 6 months.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gonzalo Aguirre Bisi
Spain
Rome
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
ycyclop wrote:
Looks like a great contest. Now I know on what game I'll work in the next 6 months.

Sounds great! Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Hjelmberg
Sweden
Saltsjö-Boo
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Great initiative, here is my contribution to the filler category:

https://boardgamegeek.com/article/24191313

Now I have to come up with something grand for the euro category...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gonzalo Aguirre Bisi
Spain
Rome
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
nhjelmberg wrote:
Great initiative, here is my contribution to the filler category:

https://boardgamegeek.com/article/24191313

Now I have to come up with something grand for the euro category...

So excited to see the first complete entry for the contest! Looks good congrats!

Can't wait to see what you come up with for the euro category.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elgar Storm
New Zealand
flag msg tools
I just came across this via The Game Crafter. I presume this is open to anyone located anywhere in the world?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gonzalo Aguirre Bisi
Spain
Rome
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
elgarstorm wrote:
I just came across this via The Game Crafter. I presume this is open to anyone located anywhere in the world?

Yes Elgar that is right!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elgar Storm
New Zealand
flag msg tools
Xoul wrote:
Yes Elgar that is right!

Cool. I am messing around with some ideas at the moment. Very rough design stage so far, but I should know in the next couple of weeks whether I have something that will work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gonzalo Aguirre Bisi
Spain
Rome
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
elgarstorm wrote:
Xoul wrote:
Yes Elgar that is right!

Cool. I am messing around with some ideas at the moment. Very rough design stage so far, but I should know in the next couple of weeks whether I have something that will work.

That's cool! Good luck with your game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yan Yegorov
Russia
Moscow
flag msg tools
designer
Hi!

I have a few questions:

1) Do you need this game to be cooperative game? It is pretty common to make a cooperative survival. Or you are interested only in survival thematic and every game is appreciated?

2) Do you have any component and duration preferences?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gonzalo Aguirre Bisi
Spain
Rome
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
LumberJAN wrote:
Hi!

I have a few questions:

1) Do you need this game to be cooperative game? It is pretty common to make a cooperative survival. Or you are interested only in survival thematic and every game is appreciated?

2) Do you have any component and duration preferences?

1) Any kind of game is appreciated. Cooperative is ok but if you think outside the box is even better!

2) We do not have any kind of preference both for components and duration, but we encourage to make games that last less than 2 hours if possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yan Yegorov
Russia
Moscow
flag msg tools
designer
Thank you!

One more question:

Do you prefer "dark-style" survival that corresponds to your art references or it is ok to make something more ironic like "Lifeboat", for example?

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/4174/lifeboat

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gonzalo Aguirre Bisi
Spain
Rome
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
LumberJAN wrote:
Thank you!

One more question:

Do you prefer "dark-style" survival that corresponds to your art references or it is ok to make something more ironic like "Lifeboat", for example?

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/4174/lifeboat

We gave that environment for reference, but you can use the style that fits you best!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cody Fleming
United States
Roselle
Illinois
flag msg tools
mb
Gee, with a deadline that far out, even I could try it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gonzalo Aguirre Bisi
Spain
Rome
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
mistersox wrote:
Gee, with a deadline that far out, even I could try it!

We wanted to give as much freedom of creation, I'm glad you want to join!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
Xoul wrote:
1) Any kind of game is appreciated. Cooperative is ok but if you think outside the box is even better!

Sounds like you are against cooperative games. There are some really creative co-op games - so your outside the box comment raises red flags for me. Personally, I'd love to make a solo game, but I'm guessing that would be even farther down your list of what you would want to see.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gonzalo Aguirre Bisi
Spain
Rome
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
adularia25 wrote:
Xoul wrote:

Sounds like you are against cooperative games. There are some really creative co-op games - so your outside the box comment raises red flags for me. Personally, I'd love to make a solo game, but I'm guessing that would be even farther down your list of what you would want to see.

Don't feel discouraged, we will publish a semi-cooperative game next year so we are not against them.

We will reward an original design. You should not feel limited on what you want to do just because is not common or you think we won't appreciate it.

Good luck and looking forward to see your cooperative or solo game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.