Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Patrolling & Adjacent City Spaces rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Craig Rios
United States
California
flag msg tools
1) Does a city space have to be empty before your card hits the table/is played? For example, if you make a space empty using the Space Gem, can a card you already used to attack/recruit now use it's patrol ability? I assume no? I ask this because keywords on heroes on for the most part optional abilities you can choose to use.

2) Is the mastermind space and villain deck spaces counted when considering empty or full adjacent city spaces in the city?

Thank you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Brown
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
[q="nimstradamus"]1) Does a city space have to be empty before your card hits the table/is played? For example, if you make a space empty using the Space Gem, can a card you already used to attack/recruit now use it's patrol ability? I assume no? I ask this because keywords on heroes on for the most part optional abilities you can choose to use.[/quote]it's in the rules. the space must be empty when you play a card with a patrol effect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David A
United States
Yorktown
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nimstradamus wrote:
1) Does a city space have to be empty before your card hits the table/is played? For example, if you make a space empty using the Space Gem, can a card you already used to attack/recruit now use it's patrol ability? I assume no? I ask this because keywords on heroes on for the most part optional abilities you can choose to use.

2) Is the mastermind space and villain deck spaces counted when considering empty or full adjacent city spaces in the city?

For the first question, no you can't. A card's abilities activate immediately upon playing, if the pre-requisites are met. The only cards I can think of that have a delayed effect are those with Man/Woman Out of Time. In your scenario, you could do the move with the Space Gem AND THEN play the card with the Patrol ability and it would work.

AFAIK, neither the MM nor the Villain Deck count as adjacent spaces to the city.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Runnestrand
United States
Carlsbad
California
flag msg tools
You should be reading this comic.
badge
I like nerdy stuff.
mbmbmbmbmb
In Patrol related news, I had a realization about the keyword in a game the other day.

Patrol is a flavorful keyword, but it shouldn't actually BE a keyword. Keywords exist to create a shorthand in the game. Burrow, Versatile, Bribe, Wall-Crawl. These all have rules baggage associated with them that keep the cards looking less cluttered, and creates a sense of flavor.

With Patrol, we actually are using up MORE of the card than we would if it wasn't a keyword.

"Patrol the Rooftops: If they are empty, bla bla bla" takes up more room, and is functionally identical to:

"If the Rooftops are empty, bla bla bla"

This isn't really a complaint, as I am fine with Patrol, just something I just recently noticed. That it's sort of...pointless.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Petit
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
runnestrand wrote:
In Patrol related news, I had a realization about the keyword in a game the other day.

Patrol is a flavorful keyword, but it shouldn't actually BE a keyword. Keywords exist to create a shorthand in the game. Burrow, Versatile, Bribe, Wall-Crawl. These all have rules baggage associated with them that keep the cards looking less cluttered, and creates a sense of flavor.

With Patrol, we actually are using up MORE of the card than we would if it wasn't a keyword.

"Patrol the Rooftops: If they are empty, bla bla bla" takes up more room, and is functionally identical to:

"If the Rooftops are empty, bla bla bla"

This isn't really a complaint, as I am fine with Patrol, just something I just recently noticed. That it's sort of...pointless.

I'm there with you. For it to be a "keyword" it's meaning or modus operandi should fixed and not have to be explained on every card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cooper Christian
United States
La Habra
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So it's a Keyflavor? Maybe a Flavorkey?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Theorel Masheriel
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mb
nimstradamus wrote:

Thank you!

You've already gotten answers, I'm just giving a wordier (more precise) response.

1) A city space has to be empty before your card hits the table/is played.
There are a couple oddities in your question though, that make me wonder if you're not missing something?
Most abilities are not optional (unless they say "you may"). (i.e. class icons activate if the class is in play, they are not optional)

Furthermore, whether an ability is optional should not effect whether it's immediate. Optional abilities still take effect immediately.
There are a few effects that take place sometime after you play the card, but generally that's because they are a "whenever" effect, a "once per turn" effect, the effect only happens at that later time, or some variation on these. Examples of such effects are: Excessive Violence, Focus, Jean Grey (whenever), Lady Thor (once per turn), (Wo)Man out of Time, Artifacts, Thrown Artifacts.

Abilities that activate on play include: Patrol, Class/Affiliation Icons, Spectrum, Versatile, Dodge/Teleport (takes place instead of playing), Cross Dimensional Rampage, and Savior.

2. The Mastermind and Villain Deck are not considered adjacent City Spaces. The Bridge and Sewers each only have 1 adjacent City Space...so, for example, if you got +2 Atk against an enemy with no empty adjacent spaces, it counts on the Sewers if the Bank is occupied.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Runnestrand
United States
Carlsbad
California
flag msg tools
You should be reading this comic.
badge
I like nerdy stuff.
mbmbmbmbmb
timerron wrote:
So it's a Keyflavor? Maybe a Flavorkey?

In Magic it would be called an "ability word." Something in italics (not bold) that is used to tie cards together thematically, but doesn't necessarily have rules baggage attached to it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Rios
United States
California
flag msg tools
Theorel wrote:
nimstradamus wrote:

Thank you!

You've already gotten answers, I'm just giving a wordier (more precise) response.

1) A city space has to be empty before your card hits the table/is played.
There are a couple oddities in your question though, that make me wonder if you're not missing something?
Most abilities are not optional (unless they say "you may"). (i.e. class icons activate if the class is in play, they are not optional)

Furthermore, whether an ability is optional should not effect whether it's immediate. Optional abilities still take effect immediately.
There are a few effects that take place sometime after you play the card, but generally that's because they are a "whenever" effect, a "once per turn" effect, the effect only happens at that later time, or some variation on these. Examples of such effects are: Excessive Violence, Focus, Jean Grey (whenever), Lady Thor (once per turn), (Wo)Man out of Time, Artifacts, Thrown Artifacts.

Abilities that activate on play include: Patrol, Class/Affiliation Icons, Spectrum, Versatile, Dodge/Teleport (takes place instead of playing), Cross Dimensional Rampage, and Savior.

2. The Mastermind and Villain Deck are not considered adjacent City Spaces. The Bridge and Sewers each only have 1 adjacent City Space...so, for example, if you got +2 Atk against an enemy with no empty adjacent spaces, it counts on the Sewers if the Bank is occupied.

Thanks, everyone!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.