Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rob Harrison
United States
Stephenville
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Well, I finally got excited to keep the somewhat overpriced Deluxe set but now that I've opened mine I'm not impressed with the boos boos on my $225 premium game's binders and, having them in my hands to feel and inspect, over all, the binders feel quite cheap.

Several of my binders' pockets have wavy/wrinkly clear material rather than smooth or almost so, my white binder has an 'inclusion' on the back cover shrinked in with the art page, my red binder's front cover has a messed up corner, and my black binder has a small tear in the vinyl at the edge of one of the covers (not a big deal, but still).

I have two Ultra Pro Pro-Binders I bought for $10 each about a year ago and they have no blemishes and seem to be much better quality in my opinion--covers are stronger, the clear pocket material is not wrinkled, and the pocket backing is some sort of vinyl that seems much more flexible and feels like it won't tear as easy like vinyl used in the Codex binders.

So how are your binders? I am interested in seeing if mine are an anomaly or if this is par for the course.

Codex:
boogered corner
wrinkly pocket
wrinkly pocket
edge tear
black inclusion

Ultra Pro:
for comparison

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Christensen
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's always a bummer.

My binders didn't have any damage to the front or back covers. They did have some wavy pockets closer to the first picture then the second though. The wavy pockets didn't bother me. Though for reasons I don't know the official Codex sleeves can stick in the wavy pockets but Dragon Shield sleeves do not.

But yeah you could probably get some replacement binders for the ones that have cover tear and damage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Mathias
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That is about the condition of my binders as well. But again the value is in the gameplay, or so I'm told.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Christensen
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jmathias wrote:
That is about the condition of my binders as well. But again the value is in the gameplay, or so I'm told.

Is that your catch phrase or something? Components can get damaged during shipping. It is a thing that has a possibility of happening to any game. If your binders have damage you should be able to contact shipnaked about getting replacements.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doctor Fedora
Japan
Kyoto
Kyoto
flag msg tools
I wonder if the wrinkly pockets are at least partially because they're each designed to hold two sleeved cards with room to get them in/out easily, instead of just one card each, tightly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Achim Zien
Germany
Oldenburg
flag msg tools
designer
There's a theory: if ever anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There's another theory: this has already happened.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've got some wrinkly binders, some smooth binders. No (other) kind of damage caught my eye. Granted, the wrinkliness does not look very appealing, but I have yet to find any functional differences.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tilou
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I fail to see how wrinkly pockets can be a disturbance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Everyone has different standards but those defects don't look that bad to me. Do the wrinkly pockets make the cards hard to read at all?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Maisonneuve
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wrinkles are due to the difference of humidity in the factory they were made and the humidity in your home. Give them some days and they will straigthen up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Maisonneuve
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jmathias wrote:

Do you lurk these forums to post this phrase in every thread?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Mathias
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wildhorn wrote:
jmathias wrote:

Do you lurk these forums to post this phrase in every thread?

Nope. I, like many others, have subjective, though still valid complaints about this game's cost, component quality, and distribution. But every time someone posts a complaint a flood of well the value is in the gameplay, or a lot a work went into this, and compares the game's cost to other games that aren't using the same business model.

I bought in at $225, during the KS. I think the game itself is top shelf material. Really great! But, the components, art, cost, distribution model, retail sales, and post KS support for the game are all sub par for the buy in cost. And yes that is a subjective opinion, but it's not an uncommon one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Mathias
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ClanNatioy wrote:
jmathias wrote:

Is that your catch phrase or something? Components can get damaged during shipping. It is a thing that has a possibility of happening to any game. If your binders have damage you should be able to contact shipnaked about getting replacements.

Damaged during shipping and poor quality to begin with are not equivalent. I'm not going to waste time requesting replacements that will be the same condition as the ones I already have. But, that doesn't invalidate my right to be disappointed with the overall production value of a game I paid $225 for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Andersen
United States
Berrien Springs
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I could be wrong, but I think if you take a hair dryer to the wrinkled sheets, it should smooth out the wrinkles some.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Andersen
United States
Berrien Springs
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jmathias wrote:
ClanNatioy wrote:
jmathias wrote:

Damaged during shipping and poor quality to begin with are not equivalent. I'm not going to waste time requesting replacements that will be the same condition as the ones I already have. But, that doesn't invalidate my right to be disappointed with the overall production value of a game I paid $225 for.

This is risk you take when you kickstart anything, quality is not assured. Actually this is the risk you take whenever you are one of the first to purchase any game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bbblasterfire wrote:
I could be wrong, but I think if you take a hair dryer to the wrinkled sheets, it should smooth out the wrinkles some.

I had to do this with some of my Mage Wars binders.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Christensen
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RayLancer wrote:
bbblasterfire wrote:

Did it work? what heat setting did you use?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ClanNatioy wrote:
RayLancer wrote:
bbblasterfire wrote:

Did it work? what heat setting did you use?

Don't remember since I did it years ago but...

https://boardgamegeek.com/article/11237894#11237894
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Chaustowich
United States
Canton
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I had a lot of this wrinkling as well. Honestly, as soon as I slipped in the sleeved cards, the pockets seemed to "stretch' some and overnight most of the wrinkling as diminished. Haven't looked extensively, but that's just what I noticed glancing through one of the binders.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Andersen
United States
Berrien Springs
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
evilboy wrote:
I had a lot of this wrinkling as well. Honestly, as soon as I slipped in the sleeved cards, the pockets seemed to "stretch' some and overnight most of the wrinkling as diminished. Haven't looked extensively, but that's just what I noticed glancing through one of the binders.

I would think that the wrinkling would make the binders a bit more durable as they should have more give.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.