Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Perry Lee
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you ever played a game so long that you suddenly start questioning basic rules? We are towards the end of a game in 1944 and now people are questioning when a river is crossed for halving of combat factors. I was always drawing a line from center of the attacker's hex to center of the defender's hex, and if that line crossed a river then the attacker's land combat factors were halved. Recently, the CW player was trying to attack from Rotterdam inland (to the east) and he claimed his army started on the green portion of the hex just east of the river and his army wasn't halved. We all stopped to check the rulebook (WiF Final Edition) and the FAQs and we couldn't find a clear definition of when an army is considered to cross a river. The CW player agreed to delay the attack until we can get a rules clarification.

Thanks for the help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
All the little chicks with crimson lips, go...
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
The rivers in WIF are drawn on the map in such a way to make them seem more "normal" than they would look if they hugged the hex-sides. They are specifically referred to as "river hexsides" in several places in the rules.

So if there is a river near a given hexside, that is the hexside affected by the river for combat.

I think the CW player is playing rules lawyer here. I'll bet when the Germans attacked Rotterdam earlier in the game he wouldn't have bought the argument that the Germans were only attacking the portion of the hex that looks like it's east of that same damn river.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Perry Lee
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, Wendell. I've been wrong about rules before, so I wanted to check with the community and make sure I wasn't missing something.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.