GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters: 124.88

7,445 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
46.9% of Goal | left

Support:

Ivan Boscaro
msg tools
mbmbmb
Hi guys, I am thinking about to give this game a try and I would you like to - briefly - explain me what are the weaknesses of the game, eventual strenght points and if it is worthy to buy it along with the expansion for more or less 100 bucks or euros... Plus the shipping costs... More or less another 10 / 15 eur / dollars...
I read already here on bgeek and on the net that some issues into this game are already present: the rules pages are dark and hard to read due to bad choices in the fonts' type and also the general blackness of the pages colours and layouts... And even some rules are more or less "broken" or need some rewriting or "fixing" such as the minefields and similar other things...
But I also read that it is nothing too hard to "repair" with some cool house ruling placed "at the right time and the right place"... SO...

Since all of those things confuse me a little bit; what and where is the truth ?!?
All suggestions are welcome... ;-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Willner
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Without trying to be comprehensive, having played it a number of times face-to-face let me offer the following comments. Overall, I find this fun, replayable, and interesting. But, you have to be in it for the 'drama' and 'cinema', not the hard core tactics ... and, knowing what I know now I'd probably just get the core game with whatever rules updates are available and have fun with it.

PRO:
Solid system, related to the successful World at War and Dawn's Early Light systems. Quick, moves along, enough nuance to keep you interested

Very thematic, "feels" like you're peering through the shimmering mist of nuclear winter while playing

Great variety of scenarios, and some of them three player, which is very unusual for this kind of game

Chaos is fun, with zombie dragons and other stuff popping up.

CON:
Map can be hard to read due to very dark color theme. And, if you're color blind you'll be relying on your opponent to tell you when you stray into sand, etc.

Minefield rules are unbalanced in favor of defenders, you can simply carpet the objectives with mines while the enemy approaches. Maybe there's a popular house rule that's fixed that by now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivan Boscaro
msg tools
mbmbmb
BrooklynMike wrote:
Without trying to be comprehensive, having played it a number of times face-to-face let me offer the following comments. Overall, I find this fun, replayable, and interesting. But, you have to be in it for the 'drama' and 'cinema', not the hard core tactics ... and, knowing what I know now I'd probably just get the core game with whatever rules updates are available and have fun with it.

PRO:
Solid system, related to the successful World at War and Dawn's Early Light systems. Quick, moves along, enough nuance to keep you interested

Very thematic, "feels" like you're peering through the shimmering mist of nuclear winter while playing

Great variety of scenarios, and some of them three player, which is very unusual for this kind of game

Chaos is fun, with zombie dragons and other stuff popping up.

CON:
Map can be hard to read due to very dark color theme. And, if you're color blind you'll be relying on your opponent to tell you when you stray into sand, etc.

Minefield rules are unbalanced in favor of defenders, you can simply carpet the objectives with mines while the enemy approaches. Maybe there's a popular house rule that's fixed that by now.

I quite dislike "dragons" in a post apocalyptic wargame set in a WW 2 war or similar "alternate universe" of any kind !!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.