Subject: Emigration——making this game better or worse? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
zhao xiaowei
China
Shanghai
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
These days I have been played this game for several times.
In my first 2-player game, I emigrate for 5 times and ended up 96. Not a good score but a good start, right?
Than I tried to play solo. Second time I tried to raised sheep and cow, ended up 61.
It was disappointed. So I tried again. In the third solo game, with the help of Starting Card which reduced 2 silver for emigration, I ended up 117. With this experience, I tried again and ended up 134. Boom.

Now I had to say, EMIGRATION makes this game stupid. Here is my reason.

1.It is extremely powerful doing emigration in the first several rounds for it is super cheap. If you have discount, you can do it all day, giving you 90 points at least.
2.Because it is super powerful, every player would like to do it, so makes other action less useful.
3.Then no one would raise sheep or go out hunting for fish in the first several round, but competing building ships and emigration. The game get less elements in it, making it worse.

So it is my opinion. What do you think of the situation of Emigration being to strong? Should the cost be raised or reduce the points?

At the end. DO THE MATH ROSE.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GAF Blizzard
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
There are several Strategy threads about it already. That occupation which discounts emigration is particularly simple and strong. My opinion:

* Best case, emigration is the easiest way to get lots of points, not requiring as much thought and planning as other methods.

* Medium case, you can get high scores without lots of emigration, but doing it a few times is still almost mandatory to be competitive.

* Worst case, to be competitive you almost always have to compete for emigration.

I'm not sure which of these cases is true, or a mix. I suppose time will tell. It's mostly my only concern about an otherwise awesome game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cindy en Stoj
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I'm thinking about removing occupation card(s) which help emigration. So yes, I think emigration is somewhat OP.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
zhao xiaowei
China
Shanghai
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Totally agree. Emigration is so important and convinent in the game, just like 'having a new family member' in Agricola.
So maybe at the beginning of the rules players should be informed that it is a game about Viking Emigration because it is a 'must' thing to do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
zhao xiaowei
China
Shanghai
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Yellow card in occupation card deck is acceptable, cause it is a card game rely on luck I guess?
But a start occupation? Eh, I think later we would the situation is , who draw it, who wins.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Heeren
Germany
Eppstein-Bremthal
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
victor1993 wrote:

Now I had to say, EMIGRATION makes this game stupid.

You might not like this game, but I beg to differ that this is a stupid game.
Emigration might be a convinient method to make points, especially if you are the only one using it, but without wanting to brag, I think I can end every solo game with 130+ points without using emigration.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
zhao xiaowei
China
Shanghai
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I rank this game 8 points, so i am definitely not saying it is a bad game.I love it, that is why I'd like to talk about it.

In fact, I love it so much but I do think Emigration Action is far more powerful than others. And I am not the only one saying it.

At last, please improve my skill by telling me how you could 'end every solo game with 130+ without using emigration'. I'd like to know better about this game from a better and more experienced play, thank you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GAF Blizzard
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
nan3000 wrote:
victor1993 wrote:

Emigration might be a convinient method to make points, especially if you are the only one using it, but without wanting to brag, I think I can end every solo game with 130+ points without using emigration.

I don't doubt you, but you're very welcome to enter the solo competition (https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1664063/feast-odin-weekly-s...) and test this, if you're bored. devil Unless you think that would give away all the fun too early.

With all this discussion, I tried a 6-emigration experiment for my entry. I only scored 106 points, which was beaten by someone with 3 emigration. Of course, this could be significantly better if I had any occupation cards that boost emigration.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
zhao xiaowei
China
Shanghai
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Once I did 6-emigration but ended up pretty bad. I think the first three emigration is cheap and powerful, but the last three should take serious consideration before doing it, maybe you have better choice.
But first three are great choice and I love to choose emigration in the 1/3/4 round with the discount card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Heeren
Germany
Eppstein-Bremthal
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
victor1993 wrote:
Once I did 6-emigration but ended up pretty bad. I think the first three emigration is cheap and powerful, but the last three should take serious consideration before doing it, maybe you have better choice.
But first three are great choice and I love to choose emigration in the 1/3/4 round with the discount card.

But it is very unlikely that you can play both the occupation card and make an emigration in the first round, right? (in the 7 round game and impossible in the solo game)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magic Pink
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Emigration is fine as is. At first glance it seems overly powerful but that's because people don't know the game well yet. I definitely think it's something you should do a couple times in game (but not to the level of Having Children in Agricola) but you absolutely have to work for it and the cost offsets it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mark van der werf
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
It seems a much easier strat to execute forgoing a lot of the puzzle aspect, knowing when to get stuff etc.

It also matches well with just getting a boat, buying an island and getting the silver items then emigrating that boat quickly. The silver item action seems very good early on when there are still good items up, buying or getting a 5 boat, then using the silver item action twice, getting an island and emigrating the boat feels quite good.

If it's balanced is hard to say yet, need more games to tell. When a big game comes out a lot of players have a few games experience which might mostly think it's too good but possibly with more play it's fine. And even if the action is too good it might be okay if people compete for it, though with too many options to do it I don't think that would be as good as the competition for extra familiy in Agricola.

Livestock on the other hand feels quite weak to me so far, a lot of investment to get your cows or sheep going, and it doesn't feel all that strong to do. You really need a good occupation for it I think which you can use with the 4 viking cow+sheep action I think, probably in round 2.

Anyway, a game so long and complex I doubt we'll ever have good info if it's too strong or not. The BGG strategy forums are notoriously bad in terms of strategy often and many strategies can seem strong at first while they are weak at higher levels of play, for example Iron in Through the Ages. And I doubt without online play people will play this enough with varied groups to have the insight to really judge if it's too strong.

Perhaps in solo play people can deduce it being too good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Avery
Canada
Kamloops
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
GAFBlizzard wrote:
nan3000 wrote:
victor1993 wrote:

I don't doubt you, but you're very welcome to enter the solo competition (https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1664063/feast-odin-weekly-s...) and test this, if you're bored. devil

You know he is the developer, right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich P
United Kingdom
Sheffield
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I didn't know what to do with my UberBadge, so I left it as a GeekBadge.
badge
Planning...
mbmbmbmbmb
Markwerf wrote:
The silver item action seems very good early on when there are still good items up, buying or getting a 5 boat, then using the silver item action twice, getting an island and emigrating the boat feels quite good.

What do you mean by "the silver item action"?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
zhao xiaowei
China
Shanghai
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Agree with you about the idea that game is still new and many things are still not found by us. And that's why I write this, to express my thought as well as to know new ways to improve my skill.
Back to the starter card 'Refugee Helper', it is kind of Variable Player Powers. Is it good for a card to be so powerful?
And, this game is quite different in Solo. Whether Emigration is too powerful does not matter so much, cauze you are just winning yourself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
zhao xiaowei
China
Shanghai
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
It is impossible. I just do the action. Without card, I would not do it so frequently.
By the way, is 'Refugee Helper' a good card? Because of it is a starting card, which brings this game a little bit feeling of Variable Player Powers,and I am not saying it is Variable Player Powers. My question is, is it good to have such a card?
And actually I am not intented to talk about solo game, it is the emigration action playing with other players makes me thinking about it.
At last, I ask again, could you share some experiences to me for playing this game better? Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
zhao xiaowei
China
Shanghai
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks for advise, I would try some other way.Maybe improving incomes is a good way?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Walko
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
woodnoggin wrote:
Markwerf wrote:
The silver item action seems very good early on when there are still good items up, buying or getting a 5 boat, then using the silver item action twice, getting an island and emigrating the boat feels quite good.

What do you mean by "the silver item action"?

My guess is he means the action where you can buy two items off the crafting/plunder board if you have a blue-sailed boat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GAF Blizzard
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
familygaming wrote:
GAFBlizzard wrote:
nan3000 wrote:
victor1993 wrote:

I don't doubt you, but you're very welcome to enter the solo competition (https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1664063/feast-odin-weekly-s...) and test this, if you're bored. devil

You know he is the developer, right?

Why do you think I invited him? It's not like there are prizes, and it'd be a humorous way to start the weekly series with the developer providing some motivation.

victor1993 wrote:
Thanks for advise, I would try some other way.Maybe improving incomes is a good way?

There are some tips here:
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1659770/some-basic-advice
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
So it goes.
United States
Shillington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.
badge
"You wouldn't worry half as much about what other people thought of you if you realized how rarely they actually did."
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only played this twice so far once with 3 and once with 4. But both games were played with very experienced gamers. I have won both of our games and I didn't take the emigration action once in either game.

First game I focused on whaling actions, upgrade actions, and milking cows with the occupation that lets you upgrade one of three red goods for free whenever you take an upgrade action.

Second game I focused on raiding/pillaging, shearing sheep and sailing to other islands. I didn't even play any occupation cards the second game until the final turn and then only because the 4 I played were worth 10 points plus some bonus tiles. Managed to completely cover my board as well as a shed, Iceland and Newfoundland.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GAF Blizzard
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
nan3000 wrote:
victor1993 wrote:

GAFBlizzard wrote:
I don't doubt you, but you're very welcome to enter the solo competition (https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1664063/feast-odin-weekly-s...) and test this, if you're bored. devil Unless you think that would give away all the fun too early.

For anyone who didn't see, I just learned that he took me up on the challenge. 144 points, no emigration.

https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/216515/item/5007822#item5...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Avery
Canada
Kamloops
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
GAFBlizzard wrote:
nan3000 wrote:
victor1993 wrote:

GAFBlizzard wrote:

For anyone who didn't see, I just learned that he took me up on the challenge. 144 points, no emigration.

https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/216515/item/5007822#item5...

Not only did he score well without emigration, he destroyed the scores of all the other participants thus far. And some of us used Emigration...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.