17 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Board Game Design

Subject: [Poll] Hex Tiles or Static Board? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jordan Williams
Gibraltar
flag msg tools
So I'm currently designing a 4x space game called 'A New Hope' and I wanted to get everyones thoughts on what is stated in the title of this thread....
Poll: Hexes or Static Game Board for 4x Space Game
What does everyone think on this opinion? and why do you think one is better than the other?
What should the Board be like
Hexes?
Static Game Board (Foldable Board)
Other (Please comment on what)
      56 answers
Poll created by IronWill Jordy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James O'Grady
United Kingdom
Wymondham
Norfolk
flag msg tools
Re: Hex Tiles or Static Board
I voted Hexes. Reason being is that if one of the X's is Exploration, then you shouldn't know in advance what the spaces are. If you have a hex board, then the spaces between the worlds or whatever could be different every time. (Depending on the hex mix).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Williams
Gibraltar
flag msg tools
That's one of the reasons why I like hexes. My question to you now would be, wouldn't you be able to cause the same effect on a static game board by having players pick from a planet card deck when they explore and also having random events occurring such as asteroid fields and electromagnetic storms?

Maybe some planets could be barren so the exploration was unfruitful?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Inappropriate Andy
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
IronWill Jordy wrote:
So I'm currently designing a 4x space game called 'A New Hope'

Careful about that copyright! Sounds awful similar to a certain space conflict franchise
Also hexes, for variability and revelation reasons already stated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Zscheile
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
IronWill Jordy wrote:
That's one of the reasons why I like hexes. My question to you now would be, wouldn't you be able to cause the same effect on a static game board by having players pick from a planet card deck when they explore and also having random events occurring such as asteroid fields and electromagnetic storms?

Maybe some planets could be barren so the exploration was unfruitful?

Problem with that is that you need then to put the cards on the board, which gives you two layers instead of one (compared to hexes with the information printed on) - or you need some other method to identify which card belongs to which place on the board. KISS principle says hexes are better in that regard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
InappropriateAndy wrote:
IronWill Jordy wrote:
So I'm currently designing a 4x space game called 'A New Hope'

Careful about that copyright! Sounds awful similar to a certain space conflict franchise
Also hexes, for variability and revelation reasons already stated.

"I don't see a Lightsaber. I see a psionic spirit blade."

On topic, I can only echo what others are saying. While it's certainly possible to have randomized events on a static board, I find modular boards to be superior for visualizing exploration.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bojan Prakljacic
msg tools
I would go for neither. Be creative, do something else.
Why all x4 games had to have hexes or maps? That is so non-thematic to the genre.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Williams
Gibraltar
flag msg tools
8Oj4N wrote:
Why all x4 games had to have hexes or maps? That is so non-thematic to the genre.

So if no board or hexes what would you have to represent the area of space in which people are playing? Cards? Maybe even have several star system maps and make the movement by distance (Inches/Cm) rather than hexes?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Williams
Canada
flag msg tools
8Oj4N wrote:

Most traditional board games have squares. Squares have 4 sides.
Hexes have 6 sides. More sides is indicative of advancement, and therefore thematically linked to the future.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JT Schiavo
United States
Frederick
MD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Octagons, and the player ships/counters are squares that fit between each space.

(Essentially, this is the same as squares, but you explore/control/influence four spaces at a time.)

I think a modular board works better for exploration, but that could be hexes, octagons, or even each part of a static 4-fold board split out and put together in different arrangements. The level of modular composition depends upon on the design goals.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
patrick mullen
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
With no context to the actual game, how can one vote?

Here's my random suggestion. You have a static board which is water, and a variety of differently sized islands. When you are sailing around and discover an island, it's placed on top of the board. There can also be features that are placed on top of the islands, like mountains or lakes, making a kind of 3d board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
guy
Wallis and Futuna
Grand Bois Du Nord
msg tools
mb
Go all in on the 3d: It's space. Set it in space. Miniatures on threads tacked to the ceiling. Planetary systems and stationary artifacts can be placed anywhere in space. And moving things like ships etc get changes in thread length and position determined by speed and direction. The models can have empty card sleeves hanging from their undersides by clips, so modifier cards can be applied.

Of course, the ceilings of our little cabin are simple unfinished boards set between log joists, so tack holes are not an issue. Also only 7'6" high--easily reachable--so moving the tacks each turn is no problem.

On a more serious note, I'm a Gipf fan and I love Dvonn (with its foldable board) for the play more than the board. And I love Zertz (with its individual hex 'board') for the board more than the play. So apparently I like the individual hex idea much more than a foldable board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Williams
Canada
flag msg tools
professorguy wrote:
Go all in on the 3d: It's space. Set it in space. Miniatures on threads tacked to the ceiling. Planetary systems and stationary artifacts can be placed anywhere in space. And moving things like ships etc get changes in thread length and position determined by speed and direction. The models can have empty card sleeves hanging from their undersides by clips, so modifier cards can be applied.

This reminds me of a TI3 mod I once saw someone had made, where he added actual painted spheres on little stands for all the planets. They had magnets in them, too, and he added magnets to the GF minis so they could be attached directly to the planet spheres they were stationed on. It looked like a ton of work, but it was pretty cool to see.

That plus the raised "fleet bases" that some people have posted pics of in the TI3 image galleries would make for a fairly impressive "3D" space game, IMHO. Also probably pretty expensive to produce for an indie game developer though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Williams
Gibraltar
flag msg tools
anyone else have any comments??

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Breckenridge
United States
Richmond
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I prefer tiles that have more than one hex on them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Williams
Gibraltar
flag msg tools
I was thinking of the same thing. Having different shaped pieces that would compose an actual game board (or similar) but be made out of smaller hexes?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chiky Scares You
msg tools
i voted other, not because i dont like hexes, but because i usually create squared tiles (easier to make)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.