5,562 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
35% of Goal | 27 Days Left

Support:

Rickard Örtegren
Sweden
flag msg tools
mb
So I just uploaded version of Tides of Time on it's page. A thematic implementation of a rethemed Madness mechanism from Tides of Madness; but don't worry if that doesn't mean anything to you yet.

Tides of Time: In Arms variant (madness mechanism)

Below the "download and enjoy"-section I posted my designer notes and process of how to try to reverse engineer a mechanism from one game and fit it to it's predesessor, all within theme and wihtout making any alterations to the cards.

If anyone here wants to have a read I'd be thankful for it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bojan Prakljacic
msg tools
Ok, I have read it. What do I get now?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rickard Örtegren
Sweden
flag msg tools
mb
You get to realize how amazing this variant is cool But seriously, thanks for reading. Feel free to comment on the design if you thought of anything special.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bojan Prakljacic
msg tools
Expanding upon established game is nothing new. It is nice to read through the process of reverse engineering, but any person versed in game-design can do that. You just applied an expanded rules to a game that originally was without them, bravo.

Question is, what are your plans with this new variant? You can't apply it to the original game due copyright issues...
So, Fan made mod? PnP variation to pass the time?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rickard Örtegren
Sweden
flag msg tools
mb

Thanks for the feedback. I don't really agree that something has to be new to be interesting for other game designers I guess. People do things differently, and those processes are interesting to me.

Yeah, as stated it is a variant, no intention to do anything more with it then letting people pnp it or not. But for me pesonally, it's about honing my skills for my own game designs. It doesn't matter If I can use it or not, as is. It's about the mechanisms. This is a great way to explore a mechanism, and at the same time give something back to the bgg-community for all the similar content I have downloaded and enjoyed over the years.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.