A Feast for Odin» Forums » Rules

Subject: It's the final Income rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mario speranza
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmb
About the end scoring, and particurarly for the final income (income of final round), the rules say that you don't pay out the income. So if I understand step 7 of the last turn is skipped, so I can't even use silver, which would have normally received, to cover the still empty spaces?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bjørnar Løseth
Norway
Bergen
Hordaland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's right. It's only points. Doesn't matter really. The net would be the same (if all the silver used for covering covers minuses).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Morse
United States
Powell
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
bloseth wrote:
That's right. It's only points. Doesn't matter really.

To explain: If you spend 1 coin, which equals 1 point, to cover a −1 space, you are spending a point not to lose a point, which is, er, pointless [ahem] at the end of the game. It's a wash, you've accomplished nothing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Slawomir Stankowski
Poland
Poznań
Wielkopolska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules state (p. 23)
Quote:
Final income: instead of paying out the income of the final
round, you can write it down in the “Final Income” category of
the scoring pad.

You CAN receive the income and put 0 in the final income field on the scoring pad OR don't receive the income but instead put it on the scoring pad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GAF Blizzard
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
It's an inaccurate translation in the (printed English) rules. The intention is that you CAN take the final income if you want, or record it in the scorebook for convenience.

In most cases it makes no difference. In some cases, it does make a difference because you might need that final income to activate an occupation card or to cover a feast space. Here is the official ruling: https://boardgamegeek.com/article/23977955#23977955
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mario speranza
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmb
Oh yes I forgot that there is no bonus in the final round.
OK thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mario speranza
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmb
GAFBlizzard wrote:
It's an inaccurate translation in the (printed English) rules. The intention is that you CAN take the final income if you want, or record it in the scorebook for convenience.

In most cases it makes no difference. In some cases, it does make a difference because you might need that final income to activate an occupation card or to cover a feast space. Here is the official ruling: https://boardgamegeek.com/article/23977955#23977955

Percfect, thank you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danwarr
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can you elaborate on this a little more?

Income is gained in Step 7, but the game does not end until Round 9, before the final bonus phase. This money gained in Round 7 Step 7 can be used for anything from playing cards, to filling in spaces, to paying for the feast.

If the money is used on boards, it can modify the number of covered income spaces on both the home board and exploration boards changing the "Final Income" value of the boards.

Is "Final Income" just the amount of money gained in Round 7 Step 7, or is it the final resulting income value from final placement?

Ex. I gain 12 silver in the final round. I've structured my board in a such a way that I can now cover the 12 and 15 income spaces giving me a "Final Income" value of 18. How many points do I actually score here?

Or when filling out the score sheet should you just ignore the "Final Income" box and just count all of your silver?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You get your final income in step 7. There is no additional final income. Either you take it and do what you want with it, or you just write it down on the score sheet.

(It is conceivable to use the silver for the feast or to use it as a seperator in case you have some tiles of the same color that you want to fit in your house or an island to cover some -1 spaces.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danwarr
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mondkalb123 wrote:
You get your final income in step 7. There is no additional final income. Either you take it and do what you want with it, or you just write it down on the score sheet.

So it's really just the final silver total. That makes sense. The scoring sheet is a bit confusing with the separate boxes for both "Silver" and "Final Income", however.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Silver on the score sheet relates to the actual silver pieces you have.
Writing down the last income is just a convenience to avoid having to count it together with your other silver.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Morton
msg tools
Mondkalb123 wrote:
(It is conceivable to use the silver for the feast or to use it as a seperator in case you have some tiles of the same color that you want to fit in your house or an island to cover some -1 spaces.)

I can't come up with a scenario where a separator would be relevant, since you could just leave the spaces between your green tiles empty...but it might be necessary to use it to fill in gaps if you need to put a big tile somewhere that it would cover an income space.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That is also the only reason I could think of.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Smith
United Kingdom
Warrington
Cheshire
flag msg tools
PlanetM
badge
Gaming with the family :)
mbmbmbmbmb
This was the first rule I came here for clarification of. I'm inclined to ignore the extra space on the scoring sheet and just award the final income as in every other round. The few seconds gained in a game this length really don't matter.

This is an unnecessary extra rule for the final round.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danwarr
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mondkalb123 wrote:
Silver on the score sheet relates to the actual silver pieces you have.
Writing down the last income is just a convenience to avoid having to count it together with your other silver.

Right, but like you said if you collect the income in Step 7, then you would fill in nothing on the "Final Income" section of the scoring sheet. I'm saying simply having that section for the scoring sheet is more confusing than it is convenient because it makes it seem as though there is an additional count of the "final income values present on all boards", not just an accounting of the amount of money made in Step 7.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I also was confused at first, but I had seen a playthrough where this was clarified.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Gerding
Poland
Łódź
łódzkie
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I read through this and, well, should I just cross out the "final income" line on the score sheet and play all the rounds like normal? Because we were using our round 7 money to increase our "final income" on a fictional 8th round, then scoring extra points for that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GAF Blizzard
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
HeirToPendragon wrote:
So I read through this and, well, should I just cross out the "final income" line on the score sheet and play all the rounds like normal? Because we were using our round 7 money to increase our "final income" on a fictional 8th round, then scoring extra points for that.

Crossing off the "final income" line and giving yourself the silver is more time-consuming but works, yes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Gerding
Poland
Łódź
łódzkie
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GAFBlizzard wrote:
HeirToPendragon wrote:

Crossing off the "final income" line and giving yourself the silver is more time-consuming but works, yes.

Time consuming? 30 seconds maximum, you're just getting income again. Add together a few numbers and grab from the pool.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GAF Blizzard
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
HeirToPendragon wrote:
GAFBlizzard wrote:
HeirToPendragon wrote:

Time consuming? 30 seconds maximum, you're just getting income again. Add together a few numbers and grab from the pool.

Time-consuming, for some tiny amount of time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.