8 Posts

Conan» Forums » Sessions

Subject: 2 more game sessions played rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dieter Schmiedbauer
Belgium
flag msg tools
So we played a few more scenarios ,one with 4 players where tried to mix heroes again, and 1 with 5 players with recommended heroes.

We played the scenario where you have to kill Skuthus in the castle dungeon, Where he was able to summon stoned monsters.

We took random characters ,Savage Belit, Archer with beasty dog, and a conan ofcourse. (chose one out of 3 taken) So savage Belit. With dual wield and escape first turn just ran to Skuthus , unloaded 4 times with 3 dices each(dual wield) and just killed him in one go.
Was quite ....i dont know, dissapointing but epic. So we tried again. With normal Belit this time this time it was clear the archer with his rerolls is veryh powerfull aswell. We won easily yet again.

Quite sensitive to mix. Guess there will be a work around for things like that, am hopefull for the campaign book to provide some options to this.

Next time we played Hunting the Tigress. Was a tense game but i felt sorry for Belit who just defended and looted and Hadrathus that had to give life gems to Belit. Meanwhile conan and Shevatas went on killing sprees. Not my favourite scenario that one.

Makes conclusion game is very depending on the scenario.

Lets see what the future brings , i ll try some more , Too bad i only have 2 scenarios for 5 players atm.(unless i am missing smth)

I sure hope the campaign will bring some continued epicness. Atm am thinking of starting a rpg adventure in conan world. Since i got the miniatures already
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
anthony dybacz
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
I have played all but 4 of the scenarios now (and most more than once) and I feel confident in saying that the scenarios are a bit of a mixed bag; some are very easy for the heroes and some are very hard, some are balanced and some are just so skewed towards one side as not to be fun.

I do believe with some simple tweaks you can offset a little of the feeling of deflation with a few of the scenarios (I am working on it).

However, if you are going to swop heroes about you need to be very mindful of some of the skills, particularly skills that break basic rules (like Balthus being able to ignore the protection skill means he can always shoot Skuthus).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Javier Esteban
Spain
Madrid
Madrid
flag msg tools
Need a Sloth?
mbmbmbmbmb
CardboardAnt wrote:
I have played all but 4 of the scenarios now (and most more than once) and I feel confident in saying that the scenarios are a bit of a mixed bag; some are very easy for the heroes and some are very hard, some are balanced and some are just so skewed towards one side as not to be fun.

I do believe with some simple tweaks you can offset a little of the feeling of deflation with a few of the scenarios (I am working on it).

However, if you are going to swop heroes about you need to be very mindful of some of the skills, particularly skills that break basic rules (like Balthus being able to ignore the protection skill means he can always shoot Skuthus).

I have the boardgame but didn't have time yet to try it, but do the promo material unbalance scenarios the way they do in Zombicide? Please note that I say "the way". I'm not comparing games and the impact could be more dramatic because it's a many vs one, not a full coop.

I also remember that some addons and SGs were made to raise difficulty, like the crossbowmen or the pict warriors. Maybe they could balance a bit the scenarios when choosing heroes. I have all heroes, addons included, and I'm a little concerned about this point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
anthony dybacz
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
I dont like Zombicide (really dont like it) and have only played it 3 times so I cannot comment on that.

However, as I said above, some heroes in some scenarios can have a massive impact.
By playing and seeing how skills work, you can better tell if this is going to happen.

Though I cannot be 100% certain, but I believe the scenarios have NOT been playtested with all the additional heroes.

Monolith have stated that they will publish some guidelines on using the additional heros, but, from context, I think they were talking about equipment only and not which heroes are suitable for which scenarios.

I think some of these heroes are going to make it into the campaign book, if you have that (though, again, not 100% certain).

Conan is going to live or die on its homebrew community and the quicker Monolith can provide tools for sharing (as I believe they said they would) the better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
yuffie kasiragi
msg tools
Samarian wrote:

I have the boardgame but didn't have time yet to try it, but do the promo material unbalance scenarios the way they do in Zombicide? Please note that I say "the way". I'm not comparing games and the impact could be more dramatic because it's a many vs one, not a full coop.

Conan is alot more extreme in that way than Zombiecide - while Zombieside can get unbalanced as you have harder or easier cardsets, its intended to be taht way and you got a ruleset which cardset is supposed to do what... and also, in the end it does not matter that much which Survivors you actually play.

While in Conan you'd probably need to playtest each scenario for hero...or sometimes even the spells/equipement of the heroes.
Examples: The scenario where the heroes need to protect Belit: If Hadratus would get the Lightning Storm or Conan get the Battleaxe that both got in the Pict village scenerio, it would be ridiculously easy for the heroes to win.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Talaris wrote:
and also, in the end it does not matter that much which Survivors you actually play.

Cough. All you need are Travis, Maddie, and Bear. Cough.

Talaris wrote:
While in Conan you'd probably need to playtest each scenario for hero...or sometimes even the spells/equipement of the heroes.

Indeed, rather unlike Zombicide (which is easy to tweak without breaking it), the slightest changes in Conan scenarios can have drastic "balancing effects". e.g. ...

Talaris wrote:
Examples: The scenario where the heroes need to protect Belit: If Hadratus would get the Lightning Storm or Conan get the Battleaxe that both got in the Pict village scenerio, it would be ridiculously easy for the heroes to win.

The battleaxe in that scenario was exactly the example i was going to use.

The only way balance a Conan scenario well is to play and tweak and replay and tweak and replay and tweak... repeating until it works fine at least 4 or 5 times in a row. That will, unfortunately, severely limit the number of community-created scenarios. Case in point: i was hoping to create several, but gave up a couple hours into my first one (with no end in sight, in terms of testing time), as i am not willing/able to commit that amount of effort!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stevan Corrêa
Brazil
Brasilia
DF
flag msg tools
Unicorn Hunter
mbmbmbmbmb
sgbeal wrote:
The only way balance a Conan scenario well is to play and tweak and replay and tweak and replay and tweak... repeating until it works fine at least 4 or 5 times in a row. That will, unfortunately, severely limit the number of community-created scenarios. Case in point: i was hoping to create several, but gave up a couple hours into my first one (with no end in sight, in terms of testing time), as i am not willing/able to commit that amount of effort!

To me that's also the deal breaker. It would be easier if they had made a point system with levels for abilities, skills, and spells, for example - the way things are so far, it is very hard to statistically balance a community-created scenario, much more a campaign... but hell, let's see what monolith's team can do in a year or two more...

whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
glen bruton
msg tools
mb
Points system wouldn't work very well. For example, ranged spells/attacks are virtually useless in the 'find the princess' scenario but crazy good in maps with good LOS (the boats). The need to consider how far the heros will have to move during the scenario, etc. Mind destroying!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.